Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
ADisciple

Alberta, Canada

Re:

Quote:

Jdl wrote:
As long as I am battling these doubts...

It's good that you recognize the nature of what's going on in you, dear brother.

You have an enemy, and you're in a battle. And you're not the only one who has had to fight this one out.

But, "Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life..." (1 Tim. 6.12).

You have doubts about God? Well... have no doubts about the Devil. He will do anything he can to deceive you, lie to you, cheat you, and rob you of your relationship with Jesus Christ.

Let me tell you, brother, let me assure you: the Lord Jesus Christ is REAL, more real than the air you breathe, the food you eat, the ground you walk on. He is as real as Rock.

...I encourage you, put on the helmet of salvation... and take your doubts straight to Jesus in prayer. Earnest prayer. Pour out your heart unto Him. Tell Him, Lord Jesus, I am doubting you... and tell Him just how you are doubting. He will not hit you with a big stick. He loves you, and He will listen, and yes, even with regard to the immorality you mentioned. Pour it all out to Him.

And then, YOU listen; receive His forgiveness, and learn to discern HIS loving Voice from the voice of the whisperer, or even the voice of your own anxious thoughts. Hear what Jesus is saying to you, with that Voice of the Shepherd of your soul.

I'll tell you, brother... trusting Jesus is the Way through this dark place. "Trust in Him [b]at all times[/b] ye people, pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us..." (Ps. 62.8).

AD

2009/9/26 14:04Profile

Re: doubt

Hey Jdl,

I found a post to you all by itself in its own thread.

You can find it under this link [url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=30694&forum=35&1]a new heart[/url]

God bless you.

In association with Compton's reply to RobertW's article [url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=30713&forum=34&1]The Horns and Their Abusers[/url], please try to listen to the first half hour of Paul Washer's address to the Deeper Conference, 2008, [url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=17392]here[/url]. (There is a video version if you prefer. His introduction is a comparison of modern philosophies, set against the true gospel.) It might help you work out which modern philosophy you're the [i]most[/i] unaware you have absorbed. They all contribute to doubting God's word one way or another. Just remember all the time, Jesus Christ was that 'word' - Word - made Flesh.

1 John 5:18 [u]We know[/u] that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not. 19 [And] [u]we know[/u] that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in wickedness. 20 And [u]we know[/u] that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, [u]that we may know him that is true[/u], and we are in him that is true, [even] in his Son Jesus Christ. [u]This is the true God, and eternal life[/u]. 21 Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.

John 17:3

1 John 1:1 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life; 2 (For the life was manifested, and we have seen [it], and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;) 3 That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship [is] with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ. 4 And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full. 5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.

2009/9/27 15:08
Jdl

Re:

Hi everyone, thanks for taking the time to respond...you know, it's odd...when I'm off reading apologetic stuff, my doubts come in at me full force...but when I'm here reading everyone's responses, it's as if Christ truly is divinely real...there's a few things running thru my mind that I'd like to share, if you all don't mind...

1- It was only two months ago that I was crying out to God for my salvation, or assurance of, fully believing that He was there....crying out for conviction of sin...but since then, ever since I started trying to get a firm foundation of my beliefs through apologetics, there have been nothing but a flood of doubts...Is it possible that for a weak mind like mine, apologetics can actually do more harm than good? Because through apologetics you read of the many objections to Christianity, and through those there have been so many newly planted seeds of doubts in my head! And these are objections and skepticisms that I was never really aware of before! Did I make a mistake in delving into all this information overload? Is it too late? I can't even read my Bible without thinking "the scribes added this...they are copying pagan mithra religion here...did Jesus really say this?...etc etc"...Jesus Seminar, Ehrman, etc...I can't believe my mind is actually being pulled away by these guys and asking "well what if"!!!

2- Alive-to-God, is it possible that God Himself has darkened my mind? I surely hope not, but it does indeed feel that way! Did you have serious doubts along the lines of the ones I am having? I'm frightened because like I said, it's hindering on actual unbelief and full blown skepticism...so many "what ifs"...

3- ADisciple, please encourage me further about how you have come to believe that Jesus is as real as the air I breathe...I am slowly losing sight of it!...

4- Compton, what kind of doubts do you have?

5- I'm 27 years old and single and just got back from my best friend's wedding this weekend...I am so sad! I have such a desire to get married, and I already have the girl in mind, but I can't because of all this! I am at least encouraged because if God is real, then my desire for marriage was planted by Him...is it wrong that my desire for marriage is a huge motivational factor to seek God rather than God Himself being the motivation? I feel like I'm not allowed to get married until I find Him...but what if I don't?

6- There is a question that I have been struggling with and can't seem to find an answer to...maybe you guys can help me...why wouldn't such a big event like the drowning of Pharaoh's army be recorded in Egyptian history?

7- On the positive side though, Christianity seems to be the only religion that claims a personal relationship with the creator...I can't imagine it having gone on this long if it weren't the least bit true...it doesn't seem possible that billions of people have been "psychologically duped" into thinking they actually commune with the living God...

8- Secondly, D.L. Moody once said that there was a day in New York when God showered His love upon him so much that he actually had to ask Him to stop...and I always go back to that with my doubts and think "if God doesn't exist, can that at all be explained pyschologically?"...doesn't seem like it...

9- Are these doubts ever going to go away? I know Jesus existed...but right now I am struggling mainly with the idea that the early church tampered with history and deified Him...please, please don't be upset at me...I want to be rid of them, it just doesn't seem possible...apologetics surely haven't been helping...I guess every morning I wake up hoping God takes these thoughts away...should I keep at the apologetics to regain confidence in the Bible, or should I just from now on go straight to the Bible and hopefully let God do His thing, in time?

2009/9/28 18:43Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

Brother,

Here are a few things to think about.

1) Christ's [b]enemies[/b] knew he claimed to be God. That is one of the reasons they wanted to kill him. This wasn't something that Christ's followers just made up.

2) I've read quite a few of the writings of the Apostolic Fathers (the generation after the Apostles), and none of them deny that Christ is God. In fact, they affirm that Christ is God.

3) We have a lot of manuscripts from early church history. A massive cover-up of the scale you are talking about would be next to impossible without serious evidence of it. Also, if such a change would have happened, we would have records of massive accusations in early Christian history of a conspiracy to deify Christ. That doesn't exist. In fact, the opposite exists, we have a controversy over those who would want to make Christ a mere man.

4) Just stepping back and looking at this from judicial perspective. What motive would the early church have for even doing such a thing? Worshiping Christ as God and King instead of Caesar is what got them killed. They would have been safer (in this world) to have denied that Christ was God, not affirm it.

Praying for you.

With care in Christ,
Taylor

2009/9/28 19:15Profile
ADisciple

Alberta, Canada

Re:

Quote:
ADisciple, please encourage me further about how you have come to believe that Jesus is as real as the air I breathe...I am slowly losing sight of it!...

Brother, I could perhaps say many things here, but simply it is because He is with me. His Presence is with me. I know-- in measure-- His Spirit in my heart. Of course I go through times when it seems He hides His face from me... or seems far away... and those are difficult times. But as I seek Him earnestly, He is always faithful to minister into my heart that fellowship of His Presence that is more precious to me than anything else in the universe.

...And, I have heard Him speak. I know what it's like to have the living Word of God speak into my heart in such a way that, like the disciples on the Emmaus Road, their hearts burned within them while He talked with them (Lk. 24.32). I have experienced the same... whether in my own personal communion with Him, or through the words of a brother, or someone ministering a word faithfully in the anointing... and I recognized His Voice, that it was HE HIMSELF who was speaking to me. We must come to know His Voice.

...May I encourage you in two or three things?

1. Begin to discipline yourself to pray, and to LISTEN. Recognize the Voice of the Lord, and differentiate it from the voice of your Adversary the Devil, or even your own thoughts. There's nothing like the peace of God that seeps into your heart when He speaks into your heart His living Word.

2. Obedience. You can't sidestep this. Listen for that still small Voice, and what he says to you, DO IT. Every step of obedience however small will give you an increasing sense of assurance, and confidence, and the smile of His approval over your life (recognizing, of course, that our foundation is that we are "accepted in the Beloved" Eph. 1.6.

3. I think you should set aside this apologetics stuff, and listen to some good solid teaching, someone who has the word of the Lord with vision in it... that can lay hold of your heart and help you get established.

AD

2009/9/28 20:26Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy