Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : 1 Timothy 2:1-4

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
rookie

Re:

Brothers Zeke and Ron,

Your thoughts bring clarity to this thread.

Here is how the Chinese Christians pray. It is obvious that the princes of the air are influencing the Chinese government yet listen for the focus of their prayers.

""Back to Jerusalem" by Paul Hattaway pg 57

In the testimony of Brother Yun I found this thought.

"But that is not the only training they have received. (Back to Jerusalem missionaries) The past fifty years of suffering, persecution, and torture of the house churches in China were all part of God's training for us. He has used the government for his own purposes, molding and shaping his children as he sees fit. This is why I correct Western Christians who tell me:"I have been praying for years that the Communist government in China will collapse, so Christians can live in freedom." This is not what we pray! We never pray against our government or call down curses on it. Instead, we have learned that God is in control of both our lives and the government we live under. Isaiah prophesied about Jesus, "the government will be on his shoulders" (Isa. 9:6). Instead of focusing our prayers against any political system, we pray that regardless of what happens to us, we will be pleasing to God.

Don't pray for the persecution to stop! We shouldn't pray for a lighter load to carry, but a stronger back to endure! Then the world will see that God is with us, empowering us to live in a way that reflects his love and power.

This is true freedom!

They know evil surround them. God promised this back in Genesis 3:15. Yet because they love God they know He will work everything out for the glory of God.

In Christ
Jeff

2004/9/17 14:17Profile
lwpray

Sweden

Re:

The Principalities and Powers are present producing disobedience because of man’s sin. Eliminate sin by forgiveness and the power of the Cross and the power of the Powers will be reduced.
Pray priestly prayers. Ask the Lord to put pressure through the Holy Spirit on man’s heart and conscience unto repentance. This is a standard receipt followed everywhere, except in our modern era, when we as Christians are taught to rule over any power according to our own concepts.

King Mzwati III in Swaziland does not renounce his evil ways regarding yearly marriages – was it number 12 or 13 this year – by our praying against the Powers. Zeke might be able to correct us as to numbers.
I have tried to do so praying down the powers, even inside Mzwati’s palaces, guarded by his own guardsmen.
The only way to change the situation is to pray in a priestly fashion, giving ones heart to the king and his wives. We have been on friendly terms with the Royal household for some fifteen years now. My dear wife decorates the Queens’ abodes and I am now and then invited to the family to preach.
I see this to be the only way to reach hearts, to counteract evil, to tread on the powers of the evil one.
Lars W.

2004/9/17 14:41Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re:

Hi Lars,

that is quite a contact you have there, indeed a very privileged position. Praying with insight helps in our petitions.

Long may your wife have a keen eye. ;-)

2004/9/17 14:56Profile
rookie

Re:

Brother Lars

Keep on keeping on!

In Christ
Jeff

2004/9/17 16:28Profile
rookie

Re:

I came across this precept while reading in Jeremiah. God is proclaiming that His judgement on Israel is coming. "Then you shall say to them, "Thus says the Lord; "Behold, I will [b]fill all[/b] the inhabitants of this land--even the [b]kings who sit on David's throne[/b], the priests, the prophets, and all the inhabitants of Jerusalem [b]with drunkenness![/b]. And I will dash them one against another, even the fathers and the sons together," says the Lord." Jeremiah 13:13-14

Here we see that God causes a drunkeness to permeate the nation prior to His coming judgement. In Jeremiah 15 God identifies that judgement is coming because of the works King Manasseh, "I will hand them over to trouble, to all kingsdoms of the earth, because of Manasseh the son of Hezekiah, king of Judah, for what he did in Jerusalem." Vs 4. So we see that God blames kings for disobedience. We see that God will give nations to drunkeness.

Paul writes in 2 Thessalonians 2:11, "And for this reason God will [b]send them strong delusion[/b], that they should believe the lie. that they all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had [b]pleasure in unrighteousness.[/b] So here we see that the future will again resemble the past. So what is Paul's recommendations?

"But you, brethren, are not in darkness, so that this Day should overtake you as a thief. You are all sons of light and sons of the day. We are not of the night nor of darkness. Therefore let us not sleep as others do, but let us watch and be [b]sober.[/b] For those who sleep, sleep at night, and those who get drunk are drunk at night." 1 Thessalonians 5:4-7

So we see, that most times we cannot not say God is doing this or that, but we are taught to watch and be sober. We are not of the darkness but of the light.

In Christ
Jeff

2004/9/20 13:20Profile
rookie

Re:

In another thread, I stated that I believe the NT provides, if you will, the outline of the mysteries of God. The OT provides us with the details of those mysteries. I came across Scritpure this morning as I was reading in the book of Jeremiah. This following Scripture will lead us to a greater understanding of 1 Timothy 2:1-4.

"And seek the peace of the city where I have caused you to be carried away captive, and [b]pray to the Lord[/b] for it. for in its peace you will have peace." Jeremiah 29:7

God has commanded the nation of Israel to go into captivity. They who will obey do submit to Nebuchadnezzar and become the servants of the Babylonians their enemy. Those who disobeyed God received His judgement. Those who chose to remain in Judah and save their nation, actually ended up starving and eating their own children. This was all prophesied to them by Jeremiah. So let us see getting back to vs 7, how God called the faithful to prayer.

Those who went into captivity were called upon to live and plant gardens. They were called upon to marry and have children in the midst of an evil nation. The OT provides us with the ways, God provided for the peace and godliness of His people. Just go to the book of Daniel and you will see His answering of prayers. Remember, Paul in the 1 Timothy 2:1-4, exhorted the people to pray "for kings and all who are in authority, that [b]we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence."[/b]

Remember the story of Meshach, Shadrach, and Abed-Nego. These young men were enslaved to serve in the king's court. Daniel refused to eat from the king's food because that was against the Law of God. Remember the results. God answered their prayers. Thus they were able to eat according to the law of God. Do you see how God enabled them to remain living a godly life in the midst of a wicked nation?

What about the time when the king built a false god and required the nation to bow down to it. Remember, how God answered the prayers of Meshach, Shadrach, and Abed-Nego? He protected them in the firey furnace. Again, God enabled them to remain faithful and live a godly life in the midst of a wicked nation.

What about the time when Babylon had been overrun by the Medes and Persians? The new king Darius according to the schemeing of the govenors and satraps sets up a decree, "that whoever petitions any god or man for thirty days, except you O king, shall be cast into the den of lions." Daniel 6:7 What was the outcome? Daniel continued to pray to God Almighty. He was condemned and thrown into the pit. God saved Him.

As God had instructed Jeremiah to preach to those who would hear, pray for peace and you will have peace. But this peace is not how the world envisions peace. We see that God delivered the faithful as they were tested by the world. I believe Paul, who knew the Scripture, could glean from the mysteries of the OT to prepare the christians for the same trials that would come from the world of his day. In each instance the Jews remained seperate and the christians remained seperate. For God's will is that we be set apart for His glory.

Do you see what I see?

In Christ
Jeff

2004/9/26 10:00Profile
rookie

Re:

"Come near, you nations, to hear; and heed, you people! Let the earth hear, and all that is in it, the world and all things that come forth from it. For the indignation of the Lord is against [b]all[/b] nations, and His fury against [b]all [/b] their armies; He has utterly destroyed them, He has given them over to the slaughter. Also their slain shall be thrown out; their stench shall rise from their corpses, and the mountains shall be melted with their blood. All the host of heaven shall be dissolved, and the heavens shall be rooled up like a scroll;.." Isaiah 34:1-4

"His breath is like an overflowing stream, which reaches up to the neck, [b]to sift the nations with the sieve of futility; and there shall be a bridle in the jaws of the people causing them to err.[/b] Isaiah 29:28

Do you see this bridle manifesting itself ? How then shall we pray?

In Christ
Jeff

2004/10/9 11:12Profile
rookie

Re:

Ezek. 22:23 And the word of the LORD came to me, saying, 24 “Son of man, say to her: ‘You are a land that is not cleansed or rained on in the day of indignation.’ 25 The conspiracy of her prophets in her midst is like a roaring lion tearing the prey; they have devoured people; they have taken treasure and precious things; they have made many widows in her midst. 26 Her priests have violated My law and profaned My holy things; they have not distinguished between the holy and unholy, nor have they made known the difference between the unclean and the clean; and they have hidden their eyes from My Sabbaths, so that I am profaned among them. 27 Her princes in her midst are like wolves tearing the prey, to shed blood, to destroy people, and to get dishonest gain. 28 Her prophets plastered them with untempered mortar, seeing false visions, and divining lies for them, saying, “Thus says the Lord GOD,’ when the LORD had not spoken. 29 The people of the land have used oppressions, committed robbery, and mistreated the poor and needy; and they wrongfully oppress the stranger. 30 So I sought for a man among them who would make a wall, and stand in the gap before Me on behalf of the land, that I should not destroy it; but I found no one. 31 Therefore I have poured out My indignation on them; I have consumed them with the fire of My wrath; and I have recompensed their deeds on their own heads,” says the Lord GOD. " Ezekiel 22

I have been reading in Ezekiel, and what does the Lord say about the leaders of Israel? "So I sought for a man among them who would make a wall, and stand in the gap before Me on behalf of the land, that I should not destroy it:[u][i][b]but I found no one. [/b][/i][/u]

So what does this mean for those who teach only from Romans 13:1-7? How does Jesus' command to give unto Ceasar the things of Ceasar and give to God the things of God? If God could not find a man to stand in the gap, what should a believer do? How should he pray?

In Christ
Jeff

2004/11/8 12:19Profile
rookie

Re:

Throughout Scripture God raises up nations to destroy other nations who are judged wicked. Listen to how God views His relationship with one of these nations.

Ezek. 29:17 And it came to pass in the twenty-seventh year, in the first month, on the first day of the month, that the word of the LORD came to me, saying, 18 “Son of man, Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon caused his army to labor strenuously against Tyre; every head was made bald, and every shoulder rubbed raw; yet neither he nor his army received wages from Tyre, for the labor which they expended on it. 19 Therefore thus says the Lord GOD: “Surely I will give the land of Egypt to Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon; he shall take away her wealth, carry off her spoil, and remove her pillage; and that will be the wages for his army. 20 I have given him the land of Egypt for his labor, because they worked for Me,’ says the Lord GOD.

This rod of judgement is more wicked than the nations it destroys. Listen to God's declaration.

Ezek. 30:10 “Thus says the Lord GOD:
‘I will also make a multitude of Egypt to cease
By the hand of Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon.
11 He and his people with him, the most terrible of the nations,
Shall be brought to destroy the land;
They shall draw their swords against Egypt,
And fill the land with the slain.
12 I will make the rivers dry,
And sell the land into the hand of the wicked;
I will make the land waste, and all that is in it,
By the hand of aliens.
I, the LORD, have spoken.”

For what should our heart's pray for?

In Christ
Jeff