SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : how did the lord bring you under conviction of your sin to your salvation in Christ?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

how did the lord bring you under conviction of your sin to your salvation in Christ?

I just want to know through others experiences how God revealed your sin to you. I have been praying for it in my own life that God could show me my sinfulness and how offensive it is through conviction.

2009/9/10 23:30
jimp

Re: how did the lord bring you under conviction of your sin to your salvation in Chri

hi, i am so tired of people writing about sin; repentence from sin, conviction of sin. it is like sin is a god that overrules what Jesus did on the cross for you.HE CONQUERED SIN...what we need to repent from is the rule in our lives... is Jesus the Lord of your life or are you the lord of your life... you need to present yourself as a living sacrifice[deadman] to God, so that the life you live is NOT your life but Christ life... walk in the spirit and you will not fufill the lust of the flesh...He said 'it is finished' you are looking at the problem and not the answer to the problem...THE FINISHED WORK OF JESUS ON THE CROSS... it is not bible 4 life it is Jesus 4 life for he lives within us. jimp

people who talk about sin seem to be ones with little victory over it... talk about Jesus.

h

h

2009/9/10 23:58Profile

Re:

Well my point of writing is that if we our to see how precious christ is we must be brought under reality by the holy spirit through conviction of our sin otherwise we will not look at the cross as precious for Jesus who bore our sins. Their is no reason to be upset, i am just a little boy who has not looked at the cross and been able to fall on my knees and cried out for mercy, I want to know how bad my sin is, you just can't know what Christ did and read the bible and feel terrible but unless God through the holy spirit convicts us and shows us our guilt it will be like a common thing even though it really isn't, it is a terrible thing, but i want it to be true in my life.

2009/9/11 0:04
MaryJane

Re:

Hello Bible4life
I will share with you. When I was younger I use to spend a good deal of time feeling sorry for myself and thinking that I was the victim. I really had a poor me attitude going on. My husband and I got married really young and neither of us really knew or understood what it meant to really follow Jesus. We were selfish and pretty much living for self. At this time I had tons of head knowledge but I did not have a real revelation or understanding of who Jesus was. This all changed when my husband left me. We had been having some real struggles and he decided he had enough so he just left. It was a really hard time for me, at first I blamed my husband for everything, but slowly through the help of some other brothers and sisters who loved Jesus, I began to see my own sin in the situation. These fellow believers were honest with me and shared with me in I way I had never really experienced before. They didn't let me make excuses for my behavior, and they didn't speak things to me just to make me feel better. Slowly I began to see my need to control my husband, my need to be in charge, my fears, worries, and anger all played a part to why we were where we were. I can remember very clearly sitting in my room alone. I was thinking about some of the things that I had been seeing about myself, I prayed. I asked God to show me all those things about myself that were not of Him. I wanted to see the person that others were seeing, not the victim I had always imagined myself being. As I prayed the many fights that I had with my husband came back to me, I saw the hurt in his eyes because of my unkind words. I saw the pain that my behavior and manipulation had caused him. I began to examine my own heart and attitude in other relationships and realized that I had often been thoughtless or uncaring with others. I realized that there were times when others would behave differently around me because of my temper. I saw that I had been speaking about kindness, love, patients, and forgiveness, but living entirely differently . At this point I felt a really heavy burden on my shoulders and I spent a lot of time crying. I knew that there were attitudes in my heart that were not what they should be, but I still was not really ready to lay it all down at the feet of my Lord. There was still that need to defend self. For a time there was some struggle but I came to a place where I realized that I was a sinner, that I had hurt others with that sin. I knew I needed to be forgiven of my sins, but I still felt a disconnect from Jesus. I mean I knew that I had hurt my husband but how had that really affected Jesus? This was a big question for me and took a while until I came to fully understand. It was "MY" sin, me personally that had caused Jesus to suffer and die on the cross. It wasn't some group of people that lived 2000 years ago, it was me that nailed Him to that cross, with my sin. Every time I got angry, every time I had to be in charge, every time I was fearful or worried, or...fill in the blank, that sin required a price to be paid. I knew I could not pay it and I knew what the consequence for that sin were, death. I knew that Jesus was the only one who could pay the price for "MY" sin so I made a decision, I was going to get to know Him. I was going to spend time getting to know Jesus personally, and over time I have. I learned to walk with Him, to speak with Him, and to listen to Him:-) The end results are that I love my Lord more then anything else. I love Him because of who He is, because of His character, His kindness, His mercy, His holiness, His righteousness, and for a million other reasons that words could never really express. Jesus died for me, He paid a penalty and a price for me even though He did not have to, that is a love I have never been shown by anyone else ever! This is why I began to see my sin for what it was, a selfish spoiled rebellious heart that was hurting my Lord, the one that I loved and I did not want to be that person any more. I did not want to hurt my Lord and I did not want to hurt my family or my very dear husband anymore, so I prayed and repented. I cried out and asked for God to forgive me. I confessed with my lips of the wicked and sinful creature that I knew that I was, and I confessed that only Jesus could save me and I needed Him in my life to daily walk with me, to guide me and keep me because I was lost with out Him. For me its still a process of daily submitting, and seeking to live my life unto the Lord. I often pray and ask God to show me those areas of my heart and life that do not reflect Him and He does. In those times that I don't see things the way that I should, when self tries to justify, I seek Father all the more and ask Him to help me to view my sin as He sees it...inevitably I see a vision of my beloved Jesus on that cross, suffering and dieing and I know that I must repent! I walk in the knowledge and understanding of what He did for me even though I do no deserve it. I take comfort and joy knowing that He loves me and cares for me even when I don't “feel” it. I am learning that its not about me, but that it is all about “HIM” ! I am learning that I can walk in His strength daily and that I can by His power overcome and live as He has called me to!

If I may share something with you, that I read and found to be helpful, maybe it will prove helpful to you as well.

God Bless
mj
__
Simple, True Faith
How does one find freedom from the power and penalty of sin? Faith. Faith is, amongst many things, Believing in God’s Character—as GOOD. Faith is trusting His Vow, His Word, that the pleasure of being near Him FAR exceeds the pleasures of sin!!! Faith and love result, ALWAYS, in obedience to Him, for that reason. God delivers from sin and death those who Believe! In the Garden, satan would have had us believe that Father is trying to “cheat” us—and the worm’s tactics have not changed. We choose to Trust Him by rejecting for Him what He has called sin—and never justifying it or blaming Him, or blaming circumstances, or blaming others, or mind-blocking in an attempt to make His Word go away or mean something different. Faith is Believing HE IS GOOD, and that His Choices and Ways are FAR BETTER THAN SIN and self-service. He is Good. He LONGS “to give good gifts to His Children” and is far wiser than His little ones in knowing what IS good. THIS, then, is the Victory that overcomes the world: our FAITH. Trusting that He is sufficient, that He is wise, that He is kind and generous. And, Faith is believing that what He says about sin is for our GOOD, not to cheat us. Faith! Trust! And how can we please Him without Faith?! He IS Good. Smile, trust, love, rest

2009/9/11 15:58Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
i am so tired of people writing about sin; repentence from sin, conviction of sin. it is like sin is a god that overrules what Jesus did on the cross for you.HE CONQUERED SIN...what we need to repent from is the rule in our lives

Friend, I think your reply to bible4life is unecessarily hard. While it is true that Jesus conquered Sin by laying the axe to the root, many still struggle with having victory over the sins of flesh, lust of the eyes, the pride of life, the love of money, etc. To overcome these giants in the land of Canaan we need the power of the Holy Spirit and grace. God resists the proud but gives grace to the humble. One of the ways God humbles us to receive this overcoming grace is by allowing us to repeatedly fail or be overtaken by a besetting sin. It is not God's will that we sin, but so wise and perfect is our Father that He uses our failures and weaknesses to bring about His divine purpose in our lives - total conformity to Christ.

Bible4life, the closer you get to God, the more you will automatically see your wretchedness outside of abiding in Christ. It is the same principle we find in bringing an object under an increasing magnification of sunlight. The finer scratches and blemishes are hardly visible until put under the glass. In the spiritual, however, the magnification happens on the inner.

2009/9/11 17:23Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, thank you for the criticle but loving statement about me being tired of people uplifting sin. i am 70 and have been listening to it for 45 yrs of ministry and have raised 8 kids by sometimes shaking them with truth. i tried kindness and grace in a previous post.unbelief is what will keep you in trouble with God and each post oozes with self pity and unbelief.Jesus said to cry unto Him and He will keep you.. floods ..fires.. death..jimp

2009/9/11 18:04Profile
Leo_Grace

Re: how did the lord bring you under conviction of your sin to your salvation in Chri

Dear bible4life,

In my case, no one actively helped me to realize my need for Jesus. I became a Christian and thus repented of my sin through reading the bible with the help of the Holy Spirit.

I was raised in a Catholic family and our religion emphasized tradition and rituals rather than faith in Jesus. Though I can say I believed in Jesus from a very young age, I knew nothing of him and was never exposed to God's word. I was living a self-centered life, trying to get the most that I could for myself in a very selfish world, and I was quite used to it and quite good at it.

One day I met a group of younger people (I was 30 yrs old at that time) who I found very peculiar in a strangely nice way. Whereas I and my friends enjoyed trying to outdo each other in serving ourselves, these young people were trying daily to outdo each other in serving others! I thought it naive and foolish, but I was attracted to them. They told me of their faith in Jesus, without in any way trying to win me over, but they gave me a Gideons NIV bible to read on my own.

The Holy Spirit moved in me with such power that I read God's word voraciously for months until I had read the bible cover-to-cover several times, and I kept on reading God's word over the years. With each reading I began to see more clearly the greatness of God's love, the gift of salvation in Jesus, the holiness of God, and the wretchedness of my own sinful life.

It was just a few weeks after I got my first bible that I surrendered my life to Jesus. My heart was burning with love for God and I found myself suddenly active in sharing the gospel, leading bible studies at various mission points, and helping out at the local evangelical church.

When I gave my life to Jesus, repentance and revulsion to sin came automatically. One cannot love our Holy God without turning away from sin. It is your love for God, empowered by the Holy Spirit, that draws you away from sin. I don't think it will work the other way around where your revulsion to sin will push you towards God. You must focus on knowing and loving God first.

I can testify from personal experience that God will work many wonderful miracles in the lives of each of his children. Maturity in Christ comes from feeding daily on his word, and from faithfully obeying his commands. The Christian life is blessed, but not without its difficulties. God trains and disciplines his children, and trials will also abound. But the joy of being in Christ and the wonder of his grace will never fade.

In Christ's Love,
Leo

2009/9/11 18:05Profile

Re:

Quote:

bible4life wrote:
i am just a little boy ....

.... but unless God ....

John, I've asked before, why do you maintain two sign-on names?

I must also ask - would it be truth to call yourself "a little boy" ?
From past posts, the impression was given that you are a grown man - possibly in your 30's.

Thirdly - with all the threads you've started with both of your membership names -- why is it always "God" that needs to do something more for you than He's done already for all of us?

I'm sorry - but placing the lack of action at God's feet in blame has always saddened me.

This verse in bold came to mind while we were still on the thread linked below.

Heb 10:35 Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward.
Heb 10:36 For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.
Heb 10:37 For yet a little while, and he that shall come will come, and will not tarry.
Heb 10:38 [b]Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him. [/b]
Heb 10:39 But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=28385&forum=35&83

The First Commandment is to Love The LORD your GOD with all your heart, mind, soul & strength.
I believe, when we look at the Cross - what GOD in the flesh did for us - our love for Him will over-ride our love for those things that displease Him - that are written in The Word of God and we will see why Jesus is called The Word of GOD.
Jesus is the same GOD of the O.T..

Fear GOD and live.

2009/9/11 18:07
Withy

I was raised in a religious home, sprinkled into a denomination when I was 7, and always knew God was my Heavenly Father and loved me. It wasn't until I was 27 that the Lord pulled me up short with conviction. As I looked into the face of my first newborn baby, I had the sudden thought, "what kind of example are you going to be to this child?" I knew the kind of life I had been living with my husband for the past 8 yrs. was not what I wanted any child to see. But God had seen it and Jesus had died because of it. That was the day I repented and was born again. I gained an incredible hunger for His Word and for fellowship with other true believers.
If you want to know how much God loves you, look at the cross. If you want to know how much God hates all sin, look at the cross.
W<

2009/9/11 23:51Profile

Re:

I actually already have posted on here why i had 2 different names on here before, you must have missed it. I don't need to explain that again.I would highly disagree with you, i think without the moving of the holy spirit for me to understand or know anything of sin or how bad it is to God is only something God can reveal to you, your free will can do nothing but be a recipient of Gods grace, we can't do nothing unless God moves first. I am 24 years old so you know and it does kind of anger me that you would post somethingabout me not answering about that when i believe i have answered that 2 times already why i have 2 different names, i had bible1985 first but one day i had tried to log in and it wasn't going through so i started under another name which is bible4life and i believe i might have got back onto bible1985 one day again but because now i only remember the password for bible4life i have been using that. I don't intentionally mess around like some people do, i know that is sinful to be decietful and play games and that is never my intention ever. Yes i seem like a confusing person with my sometimes earlier defenses of eternal security to now wondering if i was ever saved and my constant prayer requests and continuued coming back to everyone with the same problem or more problems, you can question me but i can assure you this and God be my witness that I have been true on every site i have ever gone on and this one and you will find out one day when God reveals it to you. I know my heart and the last thing i want to do is play games and mess with people, this site is my home and it will stay my home, God willing i hope you understand i am just young man who desires God more than anything but has been very confused with the lack of his presence in my life.John

2009/9/12 4:55

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy