SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Birth control problems

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Lucash

Kentucky

Birth control problems

Brothers and Sisters, I am having a hard time in my life right now. My wife has told me she has been thinking a lot about not using birth control anymore. I know God is sovereign over anything and everything. If he wanted to, he could make my wife pregnant while on the pill, there's no doubt in my mind. So thus raises the question, why take it at all? That is where my fleshly mind comes in and says "Yes, she will get pregnant if she stops!" EVEN though I've heard of friends who have stopped taking the pill, and have prayed and said to God "God, I know you're sovereign over us, so you know when to give us a child." They didn't have a child until 5 years later. I want to give God full control, and I feel if she's taking the pill I'm not... I know I'm not. I need some advisory on this... I feel we aren't ready for children, but I still know that God knows when we'll be ready.

2009/9/5 18:30Profile
MaryJane

Re: Birth control problems

Greetings lucash

I will be praying for you. Ginnyrose is a sister who posts here on the forums and has worked for many years with crisis pregnancy and has really good and Godly wisdom that I know she will be able to pass along here to you and your wife. If I may offer you this, there are many reasons for your wife to stop taking the birth control pill, many reasons that the doctors do not even go into with you. It has some terrible side effects and can even cause a chemical abortion to occur. As far as family planing goes, there are natural family planning methods to use, and they do work. Seek the Lord and put your faith in Him in all things He will not fail you. He cares and loves both you and your dear wife very much even in this He will guide you.

God Bless
maryjane

2009/9/5 20:29Profile
Koheleth

NC

Thanks for sharing, brother! I am a man with a wife and children, so I thought I would offer you a few thoughts. Let me make an intro by talking about Chritianity. When I became a follower of Christ, I was not discipled and did not hear a full gospel, so I didn't totally know what I was really in for. The same is true of marriage. Most of us don't know, in terms of relationship with our spouse and having children and more, what we are really getting involved with. The best thing to do here is check in with God's plans for marriage and see what it is really about. Jesus in the gospels took us back to Adam and Eve. So, marriage is one man and one woman. One of the few commands they were given was be fruitful and multiply. So, we can start by asking have God's plans for marriage ever changed? From my own study, both Jesus and the apostles seem to uphold the original view and plans for marriage. Something to think about and discuss with the Lord.

2009/9/6 7:04Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

I would absolutely believe that God is soveriegn and we should just trust him and not use modern medicines to control birth. The world has existed for 5000 years doing this just fine :)

2009/9/6 8:57Profile

Quote:
I would absolutely believe that God is soveriegn and we should just trust him and not use modern medicines to control birth. The world has existed for 5000 years doing this just fine :)

Hi Greg, I have a lot of sympathy for your comment, but you probably don't realise that compared to today's standards of health care (meaning anaesthesis + sterlie technique = safe surgery, the discovery of handwashing, and the invention of cold water sterlisation of feeding bottles (to name but a few)), a lot went wrong for both women and babies, and still does. Paul's comment to Timothy is a real blessing from God 1 Timothy 2:15.

Statistically, many women lose more than one child during their child-bearing years in non-first world countries, and anyone seriously following God's call to missions, may find this includes the sacrifice of wife and child(ren). Which may be why Jesus suggested a man should be willing to leave them at home.

2009/9/6 13:26
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Brother, you are asking questions that dog many of God's people, complicated by the marketing of chemicals that seem to take the difficulty out of a vexing question. Christians want to do the right thing, but what IS the right thing?

As God's children we want to be Biblical. The scripture is silent in giving any direct commands concerning this issue, this of limiting one's family size. Some will quote David who says that happy is the man who has his quiver (or fliver? lol) full of them. But then how many arrows can a quiver hold? If it is like a fliver, it will vary to the size. So, we do know it will be several.

Others will point out the OT characters who had large families and we should emulate them in this regard. But they fail to realize that these children were not from ONE woman. Would they advocate polygamy to accomplish this goal? Not likely.

Then you have people quoting the scripture that children are a blessing from the LORD. This is true. However, I have had pregnant singles quote this to me inferring that if God wanted them to be pregnant she will be, or if she is it must be God's will. We would understand this to be a poor exegesis of scripture. This will now bring one to a basic concept of tempting God by challenging God to defy the laws of nature that HE has set in place to govern his creation. (Matthew 4:6)

It is a law of nature that when breeding occurs conception will likely be the result. This is true of all creatures that walk, swim, fly, slither or swim. This is God's law of nature at work and he rarely interferes in this process. Scriptures informs us of situations when he did, but this is not the normal course of life.

Scriptures also teach us that killing is sin. So God's children would understand that a fetus is a person as well as the one born and thus these lives should be protected and loved. With these principles in mind it would help one to discern how one should regard this issue.

First thing is you do not want to do is kill a child, by any means. So a wise person will investigate why and how contraceptives work. Does it prevent conception ALL the time or does it prevent the zygote from implanting in the uterine wall? This is why the pill is controversial. I have heard of godly physicians who will refuse to prescribe 'birth control' for this very reason. The pill literally is a 'birth control' procedure.

Where does this leave the couple who enjoy each other but believe they are not ready for a family or who believes they do not think they can handle 12 children? There are some wise persons who have studied nature and using the laws of nature advocate natural family planning. I am told that using this enhances a couples affection for each other because it is a joint venture.

Whatever you do, I would suggest you not kill a zygote either by pill use or IUD or any other way. (EDIT) Conception can be prevented/postponed by the proper use of nature....God is interested in you, your wife and any children that may grace your home. So, I would suggest you take Him into your consideration and allow Him to give you wisdom concerning this issue.

These are my thoughts, hope they can help.

ginnyrose

2009/9/7 10:52Profile

Re:

Family Life today is covering this topic today and tomorrow. You might find the broadcasts to be helpful,

[url=http://www.familylife.com/site/apps/nlnet/content3.aspx?c=dnJHKLNnFoG&b=3832113&ct=7323125]Should We Have a Baby? Family Life Today with Steve and Candice Watters[/url]

2009/9/7 12:05

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy