SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Are you sure about that?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Are you sure about that?

Are you sure about that?

Concerning christians and government involvement much has been said and written and more will be before the Lord returns.

Usually it falls on not being involved at all or yes, being involved but at best your compromising the true mission or just flat out not a christian. Then those who are on the "gotta be involved in government or your not doing your christian duty" side look at the other side and say you need to get over here with me and be involved. I know that there are also those who have resolved a healthy balance for both positions.

Those who have a healthy balance of both positions are the ones we need to hear from more. They are the ones who posess better wisdom,(not PERFECT wisdom,) and insight on what would bear the most fruit.

What might this "balance' look like?

Well lets give this a try.

Those who say your compromising the mission of the gospel by being involved in government lighten up a little and instead truly pray for the success of there bretheren who are trying to do what they see is right. Yea, you know, pray for the leaders thing?

Those on the other side who say, hey, get more involved, should understand as well that not all are called to that ministry.
How wonderful it is when each looks at the other and instead of saying don't be involved or you must be involved or your not a christian, instead say Go get em brother I support you and am praying for you as you labor in your particular calling!!

I know that this is not an easy topic to just fix in our minds. I have held views on both sides and feel I am a little closer to a healthy spiritual balance, but I do not say that I have arrived.
I just wanted to add this into the mix as one who has labored on both sides over the past 22 years and this is a little of what I see on the subject.

2009/9/5 13:29
HeartSong

Re: Are you sure about that?

While determining which side of the line that we stand on seems to be the issue, the real heart of the matter is whether or not we will stand together in unity, for only in this is the power of evil defeated.

Only in love will there be unity, for how can the Body be whole unless we have love, one for the other? Without love we can not be the Body, for He is love. If we be not of the Body, all that we do will be to no avail, for if it be not of Christ, it is of no effect.

We must not look at that which is different, but instead we must look at that which is the same - that being Christ. Only in Him will there be love that will bring about unity, and by this, victory.

2009/9/5 13:54Profile

The bible undoubtedly shows that there were men of great stature before the Lord, who held government office. I think of Daniel and Joseph respectively, who were Prime ministers of the most powerful nations on Earth of their time, and the influence of Mordecai and the Jewess queen of Babylon, Esther. The world was impacted throughout generations from their involvement.

I also think of Elijah, and John the Baptist, who were mandated the austere desert life of the holy man...in the perfect will of God.

I see it as being faithful to your calling, both as an individual and in particular. Yes, there are, and have been men and women ordained to the political life.

Jesus, either way, said; "Render to Caesar the things that belong to Caesar, and to God the things that belong to God." There is wisdom in these words of our Lord.

2009/9/5 13:59
Leo_Grace

Perhaps it would help to remind ourselves that each is meant to be special or different, according to the gifts granted us. [b]While we all share the overriding duty to spread the gospel and lead others to Christ, we each also have our own special gifts to be used in God's service[/b]:

Ro 12:6-8 "We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man’s gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. [b]If it is serving, let him serve;[/b] if it is teaching, let him teach; if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; [b]if it is leadership, let him govern diligently[/b]; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully."

Who are we to serve and who are we to lead? Is it just the body of believers? [b]Should we not also serve and lead the unbelievers that by doing so they may see the grace of God at work?[/b]

Those who take the "unity of the Spirit" and the singular "lordship of Christ" to mean that we should all be at the same place, at the same time, doing the same thing are seriously mistaken.

I for one, believe that there are those called to positions of leadership not just in the church, but also in the community or even the government. The concept of separation of church and state is a man-made concept that does not carry the weight of scripture.

The important thing is that no matter what we do, we should do it prayerfully and humbly in order to glorify the Lord who enables us.

Col 3:23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men...

Col 3:17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

1Co 10:31 So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

2009/9/5 14:08Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy