SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : They were all filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke the Word of God Boldly

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread
Leo_Grace

Re:

I believe in the gift of tongues as I believe in the other gifts and manifestations of the Spirit. Those who have the gift of tongues are right to feel good about themselves for they have received favor from God. But those who have been blessed with other Spiritual gifts can feel equally good about themselves and are not lacking in any way before God.

Brothers, it is fruitless for us argue about this since all of us are mere men of limited understanding. We may all lay claim to the enlightenment of the Spirit, but we still vigorously express opposing points of view.

Let us please cease our arguments and refer the matter to a higher authority, the apostle Paul, who has taught about this very thing in the Bible.

1Co 14:1 [b]Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy[/b].
1Co 14:2 For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God. Indeed, no one understands him; he utters mysteries with his spirit.
1Co 14:3 But everyone who prophesies speaks to men for their strengthening, encouragement and comfort.
1Co 14:4 He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church.
1Co 14:5 [b]I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but I would rather have you prophesy. He who prophesies is greater than one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the church may be edified[/b].
1Co 14:6 Now, brothers, if I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction?
1Co 14:7 Even in the case of lifeless things that make sounds, such as the flute or harp, how will anyone know what tune is being played unless there is a distinction in the notes?
1Co 14:8 Again, if the trumpet does not sound a clear call, who will get ready for battle?
1Co 14:9 So it is with you. Unless you speak intelligible words with your tongue, how will anyone know what you are saying? You will just be speaking into the air.
1Co 14:10 Undoubtedly there are all sorts of languages in the world, yet none of them is without meaning.
1Co 14:11 If then I do not grasp the meaning of what someone is saying, I am a foreigner to the speaker, and he is a foreigner to me.
1Co 14:12 So it is with you. Since you are eager to have spiritual gifts, try to excel in gifts that build up h the church.
1Co 14:13 For this reason anyone who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may interpret what he says.
1Co 14:14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful.
1Co 14:15 So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind.
1Co 14:16 If you are praising God with your spirit, how can one who finds himself among those who do not understand say “Amen” to your thanksgiving, since he does not know what you are saying?
1Co 14:17 You may be giving thanks well enough, but the other man is not edified.
1Co 14:18 [b]I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you[/b].
1Co 14:19 [b]But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue[/b].
1Co 14:20 Brothers, stop thinking like children. In regard to evil be infants, but in your thinking be adults.
1Co 14:21 In the Law it is written: “Through men of strange tongues and through the lips of foreigners I will speak to this people, but even then they will not listen to me,” says the Lord.
1Co 14:22 [b]Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers; prophecy, however, is for believers, not for unbelievers[/b].
1Co 14:23 So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and some who do not understand or some unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind?
1Co 14:24 But if an unbeliever or someone who does not understand comes in while everybody is prophesying, he will be convinced by all that he is a sinner and will be judged by all,
1Co 14:25 and the secrets of his heart will be laid bare. So he will fall down and worship God, exclaiming, “God is really among you!”

In Christ's Love,
Leo

2009/9/7 22:03Profile

Re:

HI Leo,

I dont see a lot of arguing here brother. People have their points of view and it is good to hear what brothers and sisters have to say on this important subject. I believe that all have handled themselves well up till now and I am refreshed by it. And let me just add this to this mix :) Even although I see consitancy in the Scriptures that we have in regard to tounges being the initial evidence, I do believe that it is possible to be Baptized in the Holy Spirt and to never speak in tongues. I would argue this from the standpoint that there was no clear doctrine laid down on the subject in regard to speaking in tongues as the initial evidence. There is observation, no doubt, but ultimately the question is asked rhetoricaly "Do all speak in tongues," in regard to various gifts and of course the answer is no. So I would argue that caution must be observed if one would attempt to be dogmatic on the specific subject of tongues being the initial evidence of Baptism in the Holy Spirit. Something to think about..........brother Frank

2009/9/7 23:18
rbanks

Re:

Quote:

appolus wrote:
HI Leo,

I dont see a lot of arguing here brother. People have their points of view and it is good to hear what brothers and sisters have to say on this important subject. I believe that all have handled themselves well up till now and I am refreshed by it. And let me just add this to this mix :) Even although I see consitancy in the Scriptures that we have in regard to tounges being the initial evidence, I do believe that it is possible to be Baptized in the Holy Spirt and to never speak in tongues. I would argue this from the standpoint that there was no clear doctrine laid down on the subject in regard to speaking in tongues as the initial evidence. There is observation, no doubt, but ultimately the question is asked rhetoricaly "Do all speak in tongues," in regard to various gifts and of course the answer is no. So I would argue that caution must be observed if one would attempt to be dogmatic on the specific subject of tongues being the initial evidence of Baptism in the Holy Spirit. Something to think about..........brother Frank

Brother Frank,

Again, I appreciate how you have handle this thread. I also do not believe in arguing the scriptures but only to speak the truth in love.

Several years ago I knew a man for a period of around three years who was a baptist minister filled with the spirit. God was using him supernaturally in revivals. He told me that he had not spoke in tongues. I could clearly tell that he was filled with the spirit and that God was using him more mightily than so many that claimed to speak in tongues.

I will never focus on tongues as being the main thing but only to say that I believe that in the book of acts in the days of the original apostles of the five instances where people were receiving the baptism in the Holy Spirit, one could easily gather that they all spake in a new tongue as the spirit of God gave the utterance.

I realize since then we have had a lot a problems and abuses that could fill up a large book of why things are different today.

Blessings to you!

2009/9/7 23:42Profile
Leo_Grace

Re:

Dear Frank,

Quote:
I do believe that it is possible to be Baptized in the Holy Spirt and to never speak in tongues. I would argue this from the standpoint that there was no clear doctrine laid down on the subject in regard to speaking in tongues as the initial evidence. There is observation, no doubt, but ultimately the question is asked rhetoricaly "Do all speak in tongues," in regard to various gifts and of course the answer is no. So I would argue that caution must be observed if one would attempt to be dogmatic on the specific subject of tongues being the initial evidence of Baptism in the Holy Spirit. Something to think about..........brother Frank

On behalf of those believers still finding their way past this doctrinal issue, I thank you for the above statement. I know that you speak in tongues. On the other hand, I have been a born again Christian for 24 years now, but I have never had this privilege. Still, I'm content with what I am before God and do not feel incomplete in my walk with Him. I praise God for believers like you who can see clearly through the haze.

In Christ's Love,
Leo

2009/9/7 23:49Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

I removed what I previously said... it didn't sound right... I do not mean that we should seek the gift of "tongues." We are not to seek just one gift. But we should not reject tongues or think less of it because we think it's the least of all gifts. Nowhere does it say it's the least. All the gifts are equal in power.

Luke 24.49
Acts 1:8
Acts 4:31-33
Acts 4:33

Jesus DID NOT say in Luke 24.49, go and tarry until you be endued with tongues; no, it's power. Power to live an overcoming life.

And you know what, the Lord is gracious to us. If you want all the other gifts and not the gift of tongues, then He will not give it to you. He will never sneak nothing on us that we do not want.

But I need to share this; the gift of tongue(s) is the one gift where the Holy Spirit speaks/prays exactly what He hears from the throne (John 16.13). True we do not understand but howbeit God understands! All these gifts are based on faith.

And if you've never seen this gift (or any other) operate in love and seen what they can do for others (these gifts are to help others), then of course you will not desire it. Oh but when you see it, hear it, that's when you put more wood on the fire and seek God more earnestly, desiring these things!

2009/9/8 5:47Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: Elizabeth

Elizabeth,

I am so sorry for those who have told you this lie about you have to speak in tongues to prove you are saved, what hogwash!

It's the baptism of the Holy Spirit everyone should seek for, not "tongues." and it is a separate experience from salvation (not greater than salvation). Although, I have known a couple of people that received it when the got saved!

Love is indeed the greatest of these and [b]we need love[/b] when we operate in the gifts or you get what we have now in some circles: "charismania."

God bless you, Elizabeth!

2009/9/8 5:58Profile
wind_blows

Re:

Hi everyone
I will not be able to come by and check the thread anymore. I am going back home to be with my mom. I only have access to a computer for short periods of time when I come visiting in twon. Just wanted to say thank you all for your posts and your kind words. For me knowing Jesus has been the greatest of all blessings, and gifts that I could ever receive. I am learning daily to submit my will unto Him. Daily He strengthens me and caused my love to grow and I am so very grateful.

I do not know when I will be returning as some things have changed at home, and I am needed there even more, but thank you again for the encouragement:-)

your little sis in Him
Elizabeth

2009/9/8 11:04Profile

Re:

Take care Elizabeth,

Our thoughts and prayers are with you sister..........brother Frank

2009/9/8 16:04
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi Elizabeth...

I will be praying for you.

Let me encourage you that you shouldn't worry about what will be the outcome of being baptized (or filled) with the Holy Spirit. In Acts chapter 1, Jesus only instructed the disciples to "wait for the promise of the Father" (Acts 1:4). The Lord didn't tell them WHAT would happen. He just told them to wait upon the Lord.

What a marvelous thing! We need only to seek the Lord! I don't think that we should fear whether or not we will ever speak in tongues or even exhibit the other gifts of the Spirit. We simply need to seek the face of God -- waiting upon Him to act in the faith.

As we grow in our faith and intimacy with the Lord, we can always seek God to use us in whichever gift that He chooses to bestow. However, we should not fear that we will or will not exhibit anything that the Lord gives us. After all, he is the baptizer. It is He who will baptize us with the Holy Spirit and with fire and give us any gifts that He sees fit. We should never worry about any of his gifts...because "every good gift comes from above" (James 1:17).

Be encouraged. Simply wait upon the Lord by seeking Him in purity and in truth.

:-)

2009/9/8 16:25Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy