SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : They were all filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke the Word of God Boldly

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Quote:
I did not say that everyone that has been baptised in the Holy Ghost has the gift of tongues. I said that THE INITIAL physical evidence is that the believe will speak in tongues as the Spirit gives the utterance. This was the case in every instance where this took place in the book of Acts, and it will always be the case whenever a child of God is truly baptised in the Holy Ghost.

Amen and Amen. The majority of believers have a hard time swallowing this though. They do heap to themselves teachers having itching ears saying, "It died out in the first century", another itching report is "one gets the holy Ghost upon receiving Christ into their heart".

It doesn't matter how much scripture is used to prove the obvious someone always chooses to ignore all the examples given in the Acts and opts for what Jesus did when He breathed upon the Apostles saying, "Receive ye the holy Spirit".

Some people rather stay in the wilderness and never venture into the promise land. Some actually step into the Jordan the waters are pulled back for them to cross over.

I remember the story about the people that prayed for revival in our city in the early part of the 20th century. They prayed that God would move the people to repent and create changed lives. Well revival came but those that prayed rejected it because it didn't come the way they expected it. But sinners all around them were coming into the fold as the harvest once again was being reaped.

That story has a ring to it doesn't it? The people in Jesus time the Scribes and the Pharisees believed that the Son of David would come to save their nation from the tyranny of Rome and bring them into some universal utopia on earth centred in Jerusalem. Christ never met their expectation and He was rejected.

Lets be careful that we don't reject Him that speaketh when He says, "enter into my rest". For the Holy Spirit is referred to as "the rest" that we should enter into.

The issue is not with the speaking in other "tongues". If you get caught up in that your missing the whole point of the infilling of the holy Ghost. People are so afraid of this that whole congregations set down their own doctrine to exclude it from their creeds. It's remarkable how that people say they love truth yet avoid the fundamentals of our beginnings at Pentecost.

Justification by faith is one thing, but God wants us to move on to perfection and the command is given to be filled with the Spirit. If you've never been filled with Holy Spirit according to what has been witnessed in the book of Acts, you have not been filled but have been lied to by one of these preachers that do not stand for the whole counsel of God.

2009/9/5 19:39

Re:

HI Jim. Yes, my mother is still alive. She is almost 70. My father came to Christ 16 years after my mother was save. That was 20 years ago. He was also delivered from alcohol instantly, no withdrawels, no desire, just delivered instanly in the name of Jesus.

I will pray for you brother. Katanusso is the vital element and power of the Holy Spirit. I can tell brother that you have a great desire to serve Him to the fullest. Hallelujah to the Lamb indeed ! .......Frank

2009/9/5 20:26
Jimotheus

Re:

Greetings appolus:

Praise the Lord that you Father was saved. Often times only one in the marriage comes to faith in Christ and the other is lost. I want to thank you for your prayers. I know you do not know me personally, but the Lord will know the wretch of whom you speak when you pray. I can only say that the Lord has been patient and longsuffering with me. I have wasted some time in the Lord and feel that I have missed an opportunity of a lifetime in the lifetime of the opportunity. I remember the passage of scripture that says, "I will restore unto you the years the cankerworm, the palmerworm, locust and the catapillar have eaten. . ." Praise God there is hope in the saving strength of his right hand.

Deep thinker: Praise the Lord!! I was blessed reading your reply. I just smiled in agreement. I loved when you said:

"Some people rather stay in the wilderness and never venture into the promise land. Some actually step into the Jordan the waters are pulled back for them to cross over."

nothing would thrill my heart if many that visit this site began reporting that they have recieved the baptizism of the Spirit and have crossed over Jordan. I also chuckled in agreement when you wrote:

"If you've never been filled with Holy Spirit according to what has been witnessed in the book of Acts, you have not been filled but have been lied to by one of these preachers that do not stand for the whole counsel of God."

All I can add to this is a hardy,
[b][size=large][color=FF0000]Amen!!![/color][/size][/b]

2009/9/5 20:50Profile
MeiLi

Germany

Re:

thank you brothers for this thread.
I've been seeking the baptism of the Holy Spirit for about a year but I kinda became frustrated and gave up... This stirrs me up again to seek HIM and knock, knock, knock...

2009/9/6 4:32Profile
Koheleth

NC

Re:

Don't look for deceptive gifts. It is great to speak with tongues if the Lord gives it. However, there are better evidences of the Holy Spirit working in your life. Only twice in the books of Acts did they speak in tongues, once as a sign to Jews and once as a sign to Gentiles. For example, there is no evidence that the Philippian jailer or Ehtiopian eunuch spoke in tongues. Paul's teachings would contradict that he saw his churches all speaking in tongues, as has been mentioned. The best evidence of being filled with the Holy Spirit is . . . holiness!

2009/9/6 7:24Profile
Jimotheus

Re:

Greetings MeiLi:

It blessed my soul to hear of that you are going to continue to seek the Lord for the mighty baptism in the Holy Ghost. I pray that the Lord will fill you to the overflow and know assuredly that this is real; that this is holy, and that this is for the Church today. In just a little while I, and my family will be leaving for Church so I only have time for a few lines of encouragement.

St.Luke 24:49 says, "And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you; but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, UNTIL YE BE ENDUED WITH POWER FROM ON HIGH."

The baptism in the Holy Ghost is called by the Lord Jesus, "the promise of the Father" and that indeed it is. Let me encourage you to continue to tarry, and you will be endued with power from on high. With myself, it was only a week or so after I was saved, but with some others it takes a little longer. I do not understand all of the reasons why, but one thing is for sure, it isn't the ridiculous teaching that this isn't for today. If the Devil had his way, you will never recieve this power from on high. Unfortunately, he will even use popular and well-known ministers in our day to deceive and discourage any and all who would even consider the truth of this promise. Remember, just because a preacher is well-known and seems to be a "pillar" to many means absolutely nothing. Take you eyes and ears off of anyone who will try to discourage you in anyway from you receiving from your heavenly Father this baptism of power. It is the Father's good pleasure to give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him.

Acts 1:8 says, "But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you; and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth."

The Church was tarrying for the power (Gk. Dunamis- supernatural ability, miracle working power, inherent power, etc.) They had no idea that this filling with the Holy Ghost would produce the manifestation of speaking in tongues. Jesus never told them one thing about tongues, but he did say that they would be given this "Dunamis" from on high for the purpose of being the witness that they were called to be. That also meant power to confirm the word of the gospel preached as the Lord promised. Jesus said to his disciples, "The works that I do shall ye do, and greater works than these because I go to my Father." And what did Jesus do you may ask:

Acts 10:38 tells us, "How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power; who went about doing good and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him."

This is what Jesus did with the anointing of the Holy Ghost and this is what he has called his Church to do today. Notice that if you were to continue reading on in that 10th chapter, the bible says that the Holy Ghost fell on all those who heard the word and all of the men that accompanied Peter was astonished being Jews, Why? Because that God had pour out upon the Gentiles the Holy Ghost. How were they able to tell that God poured out the Holy Ghost upon these hungry Gentiles? The scripture continues: "FOR THEY HEARD THEM SPEAK WITH TONGUES AND MAGNIFY GOD." O Hallelujah. Now unto the King eternal immortal invisible, to the only wise God be honor and glory forever.

This is the INITIAL sign (not the only) but the INITIAL sign of being endued with Holy Ghost power is that you will speak in tongues as the Spirit gives you the utterance. This gift may not remain with you (with most, it does) but there will be a gift, or gifts of the Spirit that he will reveal to you for the purpose of evangelism and the edification of the body of Christ. Well, I wish I could say more but it will have to wait. Gotta go to Church. God Bless you.

2009/9/6 10:27Profile

Re:

HI Koheleth,

I would have to disagree with your logic when it comes to highligihting the fact that the two people did not speak in tongues, you cannot prove anything from the negative. I think that if we look at Acts and Corinthians, we see that it was normative. Yet, I do agree with the second part of your comment, although I would say love rather than holiness would be a better choice of words. 1Cor 13 just hammers home the point in graphic ways that we can have everything in regards to gifts, but if we do not have love we do not have anything. If you click on the link I gave in a previous comment on this thred "Stabbed in the heart," you will see what I believe is the most powerful and esential part of being baptized in the Holy Spirit, something that is almost completely missing today....

http://scottishwarriors.wordpress.com/2008/05/27/stabbed-in-the-heartbaptism-in-the-holy-spirit/

2009/9/6 10:37
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Koheleth

I don't really know what you mean by don't look for deceptive gifts.

Paul tells us to covet earnestly the best gifts 1Cor 12:31 We are told by Jesus that signs will accompany those who believe.

Mark 16:17-18 "And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well."

Jesus told us as well in Mark 13:22 false christ and false prophets will arise and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect.

But Jesus gave us away to find the source of the signs and wonders and that was to look at the fruits of there life. Matthew 7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits.

I personally was filled by the Holy Spirit before I went to church. I said a simple prayer "God I want to change I am fed up being this way" When I lay back on my bed a wind left me from my stomach then a wind blew into my stomach from there is spread all over me. When it stopped I sat up and spoke in tounges.

If the Spirit is present we must look for the fruits. The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

The greatest of these is Love as Paul says so if we do hear of signs and wonders we must look for the fruits in that persons life so we don't get decieved by anyone false but we can't just say that all gifts are false and we should not seek them at all.

2009/9/6 15:33Profile
rbanks

Re:

Quote:

appolus wrote:
HI Koheleth,

I would have to disagree with your logic when it comes to highligihting the fact that the two people did not speak in tongues, you cannot prove anything from the negative. I think that if we look at Acts and Corinthians, we see that it was normative. Yet, I do agree with the second part of your comment, although I would say love rather than holiness would be a better choice of words. 1Cor 13 just hammers home the point in graphic ways that we can have everything in regards to gifts, but if we do not have love we do not have anything.

/

Brother Frank,

Although I haven't posted in a while, your post has compelled me to comment with a heartily amen!

I have enjoyed reading most of the responses on this thread. I appreciate the zeal for the truth in Jim and also the last post of Colin.

I believe this thread you have started is very important. I appreciate the way you are going about this thread with the others who have posted.

I believe that love has the preeminence of the infilling of the Holy Ghost along with boldness that must be controlled by meekness of the spirit. Holiness will be produced in us by the process of sanctification through the truth of the word of God. There must be growth in sanctification.

Many mistake the baptism with the Holy Ghost different from what the scriptures reveal. The scriptures plainly tell us that we will receive power immediately after the infilling, and along with that will be an over flowing of love. There is still a lot of growing in holiness for the christian. We need to understand that a gift is given but fruit is produced from abiding in the word of Christ.

I believe that there were a lot of ministers in the past who were filled with the Holy Spirit with a measure of power to do the works of God without ever speaking in tongues. I also believe that all those in the book of acts who were baptized(immersed) in the Holy Ghost received the initial evidence of speaking in an unknown language as the spirit gave them the utterance.

The gift of tongues and the initial evidence are not the same things. When a person is totally immersed in the Holy Spirit and yielding completely to the Holy Spirit then the spirit can move through him with an utterance to speak by the spirit. The person will be doing the speaking but the utterance will be of the Holy Spirit. This is an amazing experience but minor compared to the overwhelming experience of power and love that the person will feel. When I was immersed in the Holy Spirit I thought back and remembered that I had praised God in a loud voice that the language was unknown to me but the feeling and the changes that also happened to me were greater than the fact that I spoke in an unknown tongue.

It is really sad that tongues have become such an issue and also abused that people misunderstand the baptism altogether but I don't see how anyone can convince me from scripture that the initial evidence is not speaking in a unknown language.

Blessings to you all!

2009/9/6 17:39Profile

Re:

I too say a hearty amen to murrcolr and rbanks. What they say is simply Scriptural and it is then confirmed by hundreds of thousands of Christains around the world who have walked in this very truth.........brother Frank

2009/9/6 18:22

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy