SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : reading non Chrisitan books?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

littlmermaid says,

Quote:
If someone said that everything that has magic in it should be banned then we wouldn't have the precious word of God itself. A.J.

There is just so much wrong and dangerous in your statement. To equate the power and majesty of Almighty God the Father, the Son, the Holy Spirit with magic is just plain wrong. I reject the very thought. God have mercy on your soul. You are swimming with sharks. You have been desensitized to the witchcraft in those books that you believe there is good there. There can be no compromise with God and witchcraft.

ws

2009/9/4 17:51Profile
rainydaygirl

Re:

Hey A.J.

Your wrote:if someone said that everything that has magic in it should be banned then we wouldn't have the precious word of God itself. A.J.
_______

What exactly do you mean by this statement? Are you some how trying to compare the the magic of Harry Potter and other works to Gods power and Holiness? Just looking for some clarification.

Thanks
rdg

2009/9/4 18:08Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
How come we can be entertained by that which God hates?

Reminds me of Romans 1:32. This is serious (edit) and not a matter of just personal conviction.

ginnyrose

2009/9/4 18:42Profile
Koheleth

NC

Re: reading non Chrisitan books?

Quote:

rainydaygirl wrote:
Hey
I found myself in the middle of a discussion about a few books last night and I was hoping to hear some thoughts from some who frequent here. We were talking about the Harry Potter books and how they are not really beneficial for Christians to be reading. Some in the group disagreed. The topic then got brought up about other books, such as Hamlet, Macbeth, King Aurther and the knights of the round table, Lord of the Rings all deal with magic to some degree or have magic in them. Should Christians be avoiding these books to? I have read some of these books for school and really didn't think about it at the time, but last night I did not have an answer?

Just wondering
rdg

Speaking for myself, I find so many of these discussions can be made much simpler. With everything in life you just do two things. First, check whether you are rightly oriented toward the Lord. Second, then check in with the topic.

So first, do you understand what it means to love Christ? Do you understand holiness? Have you meditated on eternity? Do you know why God called you, or has God called you? Are you a child of God and is he your Father?

Then second, if your spirit is right with the only thing that really matters, just decide first you are going to be totally honest. Really honest. This may take some time to clear away some reasonings and justifications in your mind. Start talking out loud to God and yourself about why you want to read this book. Try it with the Bible. Try it with another book. Do it with everything you read. Just tell the Lord and yourself out loud why you want to read the book. When you have thoroughly explained why, if you can then read the book with a clear conscience, go ahead.

It's that simple!

2009/9/4 21:34Profile

Re: drinking from muddy water.

We don't look at the shadows of darkness to illuminate the radiance of God. However, we live and work in a fallen world. we often need our feet washed as we tread on sullied ground, now and then.

Our lives are like a garden, with much needed pruning. The Lord put it this way..."Break up the fallow ground!" We read the news, on line or in print, or we watch television or movies. What exactly do we allow to penetrate our spirits?...I think of the imaginary Gospel dramas of "The Left Behind" series by La Haye. Do they edify? I think not, but there is a difference.

When the power of sorcery is aggrandized as heroic and desirable, it bridges a much more direct path to the honor of it as acceptable. This time of testing on Earth is really all about worship. God the Father SEEKS those who will worship Him in Spirit and in Truth, and Satan also seeks worship..."If you will fall down and worship me, all of these kingdoms will be yours!"....[ the temptations of Christ before his ministry..]

It seems the "Potter" series is about a discipleship and training college for upcoming witches and warlocks, and their trials and tribulations to excel and succeed. It's a tad different than Shakespeare bringing the supernatural into our sensibilities as drama. We see it for what it is, and mostly are not enamored or drawn into the virtues of it.

We can't escape some corruption that may stick to us in our walk in this life, but we can avoid spreading it upon ourselves.

"All things are lawful, but not all things are edifying."

2009/9/4 22:19
Koheleth

NC

Re:

Quote:
We read the news, on line or in print, or we watch television or movies.

Exactly who is this "we"? It surely does not include everyone. I think it is foolhardy to jump into shark infested waters and then wonder why you emerge wounded and bloody if even alive.

Quote:
We often need our feet washed as we tread on sullied ground, now and then.

There is grace for mistakes, weakness, yielding against our better judgment, etc. but a habit or returning to "treading on sullied ground" is proof we do not know anything of holiness or the Lord.

2009/9/5 9:32Profile

Re: Battle Cry!

by Koheleth on 2009/9/5 5:32:36

Quote:

"We read the news, on line or in print, or we watch television or movies."
Brothertom.

"Exactly who is this "we"? It surely does not include everyone. I think it is foolhardy to jump into shark infested waters and then wonder why you emerge wounded and bloody if even alive."

Koheleth.

"Who exactly is the we?"...about 99%+ of everyone on this forum, and those who name themselves as Christians in America.

If you equate any or even some of these activities as " to jump into shark infested waters", that is your privilege of opinion. You must not see any of the news on your computer, as you log in on your home page, nor read the news in any way. Maybe you never have watched TV, and don't own one, but I do. The news interests me, and Tiger Woods throttling the world of golf fascinates me.

Is this sin? It surely isn't absolutely edifying , nor does it enhance my eternal standing in Heaven with Jesus, but to me, it is not. I'm simply saying that we do get "dusty" through our intake of the world. Sometimes we may cultivate a legalistic attitude that may bend us to see ourselves as holy,and separate, even above our brothers and sisters who struggle.

"Do not be condemned for the things which you allow." Why is this in the bible?

When Jesus drank wine, and there is no doubt that it was alcoholic, they accused him of being a drunkard. No one holy could do such a thing. His response had to do with the things that defile humanity, and he said this..." It is not what GOES INTO A MAN that defiles him, but what COMES OUT OF A MAN that defiles him." He went on to describe things like greed, lust, and hateful self righteous condemnation of others who may not rise to our standards of holiness.

"There is grace for mistakes, weakness, yielding against our better judgment, etc. but a habit or returning to "treading on sullied ground" is proof we do not know anything of holiness or the Lord."
Koheleth.

You see brother, Jesus was saying that the "sullied ground" was really the thoughts and intentions of our HEART, not a legalistic system that God approved or disapproved of. In my discernment, those who follow this path seem to always be inept in practicing the weightier matters of the law, SUCH AS MERCY AND TRUTH!.

If we justify ourselves by a system of holiness other than repentance and mercy....THE BLOOD OF JESUS CLEANSING OUR CORRUPTION CONTINUALLY... Paul said; "You who are justified by the LAW are fallen from grace!" I assure you, the Law was more holy and rigid than any man's rightful ideas about becoming holy.

One of my favorite scriptures is, "It is not he who wills, or he who runs, but God who shows mercy!"

What is proof "that we do not know anything of holiness or the Lord?" I think it is the assumption that we can make it on our own, and coupled with that, the ignorance of our complete inability to do so , and the wicked bondage that dwells within the heart of accusing Adam within each of our own breasts.

I must add of course, due to the nature of the conversation, that I am not condoning worldliness or the love of the world as extreme grace. No! I am saying that god looks at our heart, and holiness of heart, mercies and Love within it, are the ONLY thing that pleases the Lord. This I know, and yes, I fail often. This is my battle cry to enter Heaven. Mercy!

2009/9/5 10:41
littlmermaid

Re:

who said anything about equating the Bible and Harry Potter?? I only mentioned that the Bible also contains "magic" in that it has stories about it. Therefore if every mention of magic regardless of whether it promotes it or not automatically should mean it can't be read then we wouldn't be able to read it. I was referring to the event of Saul consulting the spirit of Samuel (1 Samuel 28). Although there's a fair amount of other references to pagan practices also in the Old Testament.I just assumed everyone on here would be familiar with the Bible but I should have clarified what I meant, sorry.No I am not saying that it is ok to do it. Its clear that the practice of witchcraft of any form is "detestable". I am making the point that the issue is not whether witchcraft or any other wrong activity is mentioned or a part of the story but how is it portrayed and does it promote such activites? The philosophy and intent of the writer and the impact on the reader should be taken into account as they are the most important things.

J. K rowling is not nor ever has been pagan and her philosophy and message aren't either. I wonder why no one went out burning Pullmans childrens books when he said he wrote them with the sole aim of convincing children there is no God. Why so much fuss about Rowling when she has no such intentions. It just seems like people react to external things but ignore things of the heart.

Rowling isnt responsible for the decline of the church. I doubt she has contributed anything to it. Shallow and unempowered christianity is what makes people turn away. When I went to america I met so many people who knew the gospel but didn't seem to care. But when they explained to me how they saw Christian life ( "don't swear or drink and thats it") its understandable - almost.

I'm looking at it from a British perspective in that here most people laugh at any kind of belief in a spiritual world. I do not think she presents paganism but she does simply make people think there might be more than meets the eye, a spiritual battle, a side to choose, a Lord to follow. I've had some great conversations with atheists who have read her books and found it provided amazing parallels to the Christian message. So here it kind of prepares the ground for a general spiritual interest. Whoever then sows into that is the important thing.
I accept that it may be different in the US as many people are raised in a church. However I think a good response would be to understand Harry Potter and relate it to the gospel.
I went on a course recently on the book of Revelation in the Bible. The guy, Ian Paul who has written a study book on it who seems biblically sound, trains pastors and did his phd in Revelation said that a fair bit of Revelation is based on occultic practices at the time of the first century. For example " Iam the alpha and the Omega" and "who holds the keys to death and Hades" and some other stuff. He said that Jesus "plunders" all that is seen and held as powerful and claims it for Himself. As if to say it's not Caesar who is the "alpha and Omega" it's me and so on with all the other references to Apollo and Caesar.
I found it interesting. I would use this attitude in regards to some things. Like Paul with the "altar to an unknown god". To use the things people understand to show that Christ's power is more than those things.
But i'm probably going to cause more contoversy now... AJ

2009/9/5 17:06Profile
rainydaygirl

Re:

Hey AJ
No controversy, I don't agree with much of what you have written but no controversy.

have a wonderful weekend
rdg

2009/9/5 18:10Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy