Image Map
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : All the World's a Stage

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

All the World's a Stage

Hi everyone.

This morning I stopped to look at the Shakespeare Memorial in front of Library here and to read the description of it nearby.

I've seen it many times but decided to stop and read the plauqe today. There was a man in a nearby bench, sleeping, and maybe it was that that made it stand out to me all the more.

The memorial is a bronze statue of two figures from his plays: one is of the king Hamlet, who appears to be sitting and in one of his hands is holding a dagger, and the other is of the jester Touchstone, who is sort of sprawled out next to Hamlet and appears somewhat lifeless.

As I looked, I thought of the Apostle Paul, saying that they(the Apostles) were made a spectacle unto the world, and to angels, and to men. And I thought how that must be true in some measure for us all, that everything we do is seen, or will be, eventually.

I thought later how some kings are in great honor and glory, and yet behave like fools(Dan 4:20-37, 1Kings 11:1-6), and some that appear to be fools have the praises of God(2Sa 6:12-16, 1Co 1:27, Acts 26:24).

I know that I need God's help so much to play a good part on this stage and to play it well. I certainly have not always done so and continue to fail in many ways.

As I opened up the electronic refrence I have to get the chapter and verse numbers for the passages here, it opened as it is set to open randomly, and opened to King David's charge to his son Solomon before he died, to 1Kings Chapter 2 verse 3.

[url=http://dcmemorials.com/index_indiv0006579.htm]link to a page with pictures of the memorial[/url]

2009/8/29 10:32Profile
ADisciple

Alberta, Canada

Re: All the World's a Stage

Quote:
As I looked, I thought of the Apostle Paul, saying that they(the Apostles) were made a spectacle unto the world, and to angels, and to men.

Hi Chris,

I haven't crossed trails with you for a while. I enjoyed your post.

I noticed a while ago that in the verse you referred to, the word "spectacle" in the KJV is "theatron" in the Greek.

We get our word "theatre" from it.

In my English/Greek interlinear, it reads, "For a 'theatron' we became to the world: both to angels and to men" (1 Cor. 4.9).

So it's quite something that we are in a great drama being viewed by both men and angels. Men, it seems, don't always appreciate what's happening, but the angels watch with wonder and great interest the unfolding of redemption in us.

And what a wonder it all is.

What you mentioned reminded me of a verse in Peter, where he talks of the things "which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven..." And then he adds, "which things the angels desire to look into" (1 Pt. 1.12). With great interest, and great desire, the angels stoop down, as it were (that's the thought in the word "look into," they stoop down, bend down, trying to get a better glimpse) ...and try to understand, try to see more of, what God is doing in His great unfolding drama of redemption in man. It's a revelation of Himself, really, and the angels greatly desire to see Him and know Him better than they now do.

You'd think they see and know Him much better than we do, from their heavenly vantage point. But no, He's veiled in "cloud" there... and it's only as He makes Himself known in the church in the fulness of redemption that they will see Him in all His glory.

Hopefully this convicts us-- and makes us tremble-- and inspires us to seek Him earnestly so that we may learn and play our part however small in a worthy manner that brings glory to our God.

2009/8/29 12:47Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy