Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The errosion of Britains Christian heritage

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

The errosion of Britains Christian heritage

Being a Brit living in the UK this is an interesting TV news report from the USA, but something we are highly aware of and I have some personal experience of. However it's good to be reminded how quickly things have changed and to see it in such a concise way.

http://www.christianlegalcentre.com/mediacentre.php?avid=248&avap=1

Praise God that we still have opportunity to preach and speak. May we all take the opportunity while it is still available before the door closes.

Praise God for things such as the Greenock outreach taking place later this year and other such public witness. We should not give in to those anti-christian groups who are seeking their agenda without a fight.

2009/8/25 11:15Profile
robbyk

Madison, WI

Re: The errosion of Britains Christian heritage

My wife is Norwegian and her family is currently visiting us here in WI. They tell us that in Norway they fear Christian observance will be almost completely curtailed in that country within 4 years if the current government hangs on.

2009/8/25 11:46Profile
Compton

Re:

I'm curious how congruent the apparent rise of secular intolerance is with the dramatic rise of Islam in the UK.

2009/8/25 12:32Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Quote:
I'm curious how congruent the apparent rise of secular intolerance is with the dramatic rise of Islam in the UK.

From a personal subjective view I would say that it is not the average secular 'man in the street' that is intolerant to the Christian faith (unless it confronts his moral lack), but it is the state institutions and governments (including the state media) that is most aggresive towards us. Almost in direct contrast to the hostility shown to the Christian, is the embracing of Islam's position. They fear upsetting or offending the Muslim, but show no restrant on their attack on biblical christianity. This is a generalisation, but is more often the case.

2009/8/25 12:52Profile

Hi Compton,

Quote:
with the dramatic rise of Islam in the UK

How have you heard this 'dramatic rise' described, or, enumerated, and, what is its comparison with France's situation, where, (I believe), 6 million Mohammedans form part of the total population (and, France is an officially 'secular' country)?

2009/8/26 8:10
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Quote:
How have you heard this 'dramatic rise' described, or, enumerated, and, what is its comparison with France's situation, where, (I believe), 6 million Mohammedans form part of the total population (and, France is an officially 'secular' country)?

I'm not sure what Compton is referring to exactly. What is sure is that in recent years the radical Muslim voice and agenda has had a dramatic rise in the UK, but also all over the world. The curent population of Muslims in the UK is estimated to be around 2 Million, which is a lot lower percentage than France.

However let's not think it's just about Islam, although this is having a big impact, but it is the general rejection of the Christian gospel, not helped by the falling away from the true gospel by the so called 'churches'.

This said, I am very reluctant to label the UK (or any country) as or having been a 'Christian Country'. The true church is always a minority or a 'remnant'. However even if this is the case we can still have an infuence and affect the society we live in. This is the History of the UK after the likes of Wesley and Whitfield.

In the light of the above, in what sense we remain a radical, pure church without having a seige mentality and also should we Christianise society? This would be an interesting point to consider. What do you think?

2009/8/26 9:46Profile
Compton

Re:

My question is just primarily how the anti-religous crowd in the UK deals with British Islam, which despite's it's minority status, seems very assertive and vocal as reported on this side of the Atlantic. If British Christians who refuse to celebrate homosexuality are feeling pressure to recant so to speak, it would follow that Muslims would also feel that pressure.

Yet you never seem to hear about it over here. Perhaps its because Muslims are considered a "minority religion" and paradoxically benefit from "diversity tolerance".

Just wanting some insight from those that live in the UK,

MC

2009/8/26 11:11Profile
elected

Tulsa OK

Heyday wrotte:

Quote:
In the light of the above, in what sense we remain a radical, pure church without having a seige mentality and also should we Christianise society? This would be an interesting point to consider. What do you think?

Mass conversion and christianising of europe in middle ages was a 'forceful' conversion, and we know how currupt the roman catholic church became as a result.The church of God always has been a minority.Im orginally from europe and i have lived in few different countries in europe.Anti-christian agenda in western europe is nothing else but a reflection of an anti-christian society that is degradating to moral relativism and sophisticated paganism.

Christianity is western european culture is relic of the past and its magnificient chathedrals or church buildings a work of art to be admired by tourists. I have live for years in belgium which is the 'capital of European Union'.
Belgium in my opinion is one of the most secular countries is western europe, there marriage almost has lost its 'religious value' or sanctity.

Brussels is the capital of belgium and the city where European Union 'executives' and politicians are working out the agenda of 'reviving the fallen roman impire'.

Its no surprise to me at all that christians in england are systematically denied there rights to be 'public christians' and there are making laws that they keep their faith private.

May England is one of the few countries in Western Europe where christian minority is strugling and fighting to counterpart anti-christian secularism and ungodly laws, because as far as i am aware western europe is a postchristan culture with post-judeo christian values and heritage. One day im sure European Union will have its own contitution and when that happens (its only a matter of time), Eurupe will have the greatest ungodly human constitution that will be a step further to preparing the pathway for antichrist.

2009/8/26 12:53Profile
elected

Tulsa OK

Re:

I wonder for how long will america keep on their bill money, 'In God We Trust' ? or Who will be the last american president to pronounce 'God bless america' ?

2009/8/26 13:03Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re: post christian Europe

Hi Elected,

Thanks for your post which is a very good assesment of the situation in Europe. I agree that most European countries are a long way down the post Christian path. Interestingly a lot of these are the ones that were controlled by Romanism, such France, Southern Germany, Belgium, Spain, Italy etc. In my travels in these countries although you see the outward relics and superstitions of Catholism, most people (especially the young) are extreemly secular. England remained protestant during many years of Catholic Europe, which helped slow the decline.

Most Christians agree that the result of the Evangelical awakening in England in the 18th century produced a major influence on society and the laws which reflected Christian values. So the question is should we expect this to happen again? Which is the same as asking will we see revival again on the same scale as in the days of Wesley and Whitfield?

Elected wrote:

Quote:
I wonder for how long will america keep
on their bill money, 'In God We Trust' ? or Who will be the last american president to pronounce 'God bless america' ?

I think America is in a similar position Spiritually to England was pre 1950s with most people thinking they are Christian and attending church, but with most it is a religious activity with no true conversion.

2009/8/26 14:05Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy