Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Maturity

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
lwpray

Sweden

Maturity

Receptivity to Grace is the secret to Maturity.
E. Stanley Jones

2004/9/10 3:07Profile
lwpray

Sweden

Re: Maturity

Life wills maturity.
E. Stanley Jones

2004/9/10 3:11Profile
lwpray

Sweden

Divine discontent is a part of our salvation, a prompting towards maturity.
E. Stanley Jones

2004/9/10 3:17Profile
Spitfire

Hello Lars. I read your posts on the dark night thread and then I came to your quotes on maturity.

Quote:

lwpray wrote:

Receptivity to Grace is the secret to Maturity.
E. Stanley Jones

This is what I've been wondering about right here. Grace. I feel like I'm standing in front of a rock wall looking for an opening and I can't find it. You know, like in the old movies where folks are looking for a secret passageway. They are pulling books off of bookshelves looking for the button or lever that will turn them around on some turnstill into another room. You also Tozer who said, "You're as holy as you want to be". I don't know if that's true. Perhaps it is, but I keep meditating on the rich young ruler. Jesus told him to go and sell all that he had and give it to the poor and come and follow him. He went away sad. I've tried to put myself in his shoes. I guess, in a sense, we are all in his shoes. I don't think I could do it, either. It seems impossible to me right now, so my prayer has become: "God, do whatever it takes to bring me to the place of being able to do this." And I know that people who are reading this probably wonder what "this" is. I don't know either. I don't know what it is that Jesus is asking me to do, exactly. I just know that I've still got my life. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I don't know what me with a laid down life is supposed to look like. Will I still be working the same job? Will I still be wearing the same clothes? Will I still have the same friends? I know that maturing is a process. Is laying down our lives a process? Or is it a buzz saw effect every morning? Can someone say I'm as holy as I want to be as if it's my fault I'm not there yet? Maybe I'm not there yet because God hasn't given me the grace yet. I don't know.

2004/9/10 6:05Profile
lwpray

Sweden

Re:

Life and living is indeed a process. Maturity is coming in as a process. Laying down ones life is an activity to be repeated.
Sanctification is a process. Holiness is brought in as a process. Salvation is constantly brought to all of us as a continuous process.
All this which belongs to salvation is brought to us through Christ.
All this comes from above, from God, through the act of God.
All this is ours because of God and His grace, to be obtained, received, thankfully, joyfully received.
Salvation, holiness and maturity is not attained to but obtained, received – something to open up for, to pursue, to seek and long for. It is Him we are pursuing, not an "it".
If there is anything required by us, it would be expressed in one single word: Availability.
Allow Him to order your way and your future according to His thought – no passivity, no mystical posturing, but through a practical relying on Him who is ahead in time and in planning.
Lars

2004/9/10 6:22Profile
Spitfire

Re:

Hey Lars. I just thought of something that I read yesterday in Matthew 21:28. Jesus said, "What do you think? A man had two sons, and he came to the first and said, 'Son, go work today in the vineyard.' And he answered, 'I will not': but afterward regretted it and went. The man came to the second and said the same thing; and he answered 'I will, Sir'; but he did not go. Which of the two did the will of his father?" I'm wondering how much of our willingness is God's grace extended to us. You know? Jesus said no man can come to him unless the Spirit draws him. I'm just begging for mercy now. Do you think that desire that would make me a beggar is what God's looking for?

2004/9/10 6:35Profile
lwpray

Sweden

Re:

Dear Dian,

Availability is not defined in certain categories. “If I am doing it like he did, or like those men did at that particular time, or like that missionary did when. . .”
Availability is plain availability. Availability your way, availability of the special kind that only you can come up with at this moment when God is there calling you to relax and respond.
Lars

2004/9/10 6:43Profile
moreofHim

Re: struggle

Dian,

I sense maybe that you are trying to hang on. That you are continuing to struggle between "ok, God, go ahead and take it all, I willingly give it" and I'm not so sure yet. Please correct me if I am wrong. Maybe i am assuming. And if this is the case, please forgive me. But I have been at this place where you are before and I know all the things I said to myself and to God. I know all of the fleshly struggles and the ways the flesh will want to bend things a little here and there.

Quote:
"There will likely be a time in our Christian journeys when, like Jacob, we will wrestle with God all night long... But there must eventually come a dawn when we say, "OK, God, You win... Not My will but Thine be done."

I really sense that maybe this is where you are. In a struggle as Jacob was before he came out with a new name and a limp. :) I can see that you want to be obedient, and if this is the case then there is nothing to do except lay it all down and put your hands in the air and say "I surrender". Once this complete surrender of the will is done, the biggest fight is over. But are you ready?

I remember these exact moments in my walk a few years ago. I remember the inner turmoil, the fight against my flesh. I literally had to pray against it- that i would not listen to my flesh and that the Lord would make me obedient for His glory. I pray that the Lord's will is done in your life and that He will give you the strength to go through brokenness. Let him break your heart. Let him shatter you and devastate you- so that He can rebuild you on His own foundation according to His image. I am still asking Him to do this with me weekly (should be daily). You have many here who I am sure are holding you up in prayer and asking the Lord to keep you to Himself.

In His perfect love, Chanin

2004/9/10 9:21Profile
lwpray

Sweden

No earthly parent could be content to have a child who refused to grow up. The parents’ joy is in development, in growth, in going on to maturity. God cannot otherwise and still be God, our Father. So the disturbances we feel in our immaturities are seldom signs of His anger, but a manifestation of His love. He loves us too much to let us settle down in halfwayness.
E. Stanley Jones

2004/9/10 9:27Profile
moreofHim

Re: maturity

Sorry, I forgot to add this about your comments.

Don't be afraid. Trust is the biggest issue here with surrendering everything over. You can trust God that He will take care of everything. I know I doubted and said "what if". Not trusting God kept me from giving it all over for quite along time. You can trust Him. He alone knows what is best and will take care of everything. You are His child and He will keep you in His care. Trust Him with every area of your life. If there is anything that we still want to keep a hold of ourselves, He is just waiting for us to hand it over to Him and show Him we do trust Him. I think maybe you know what it is inside that needs to be handed over. Let Him speak to you about that. Let Him be honest with your heart and receive that.

(Lars, sorry to interupt your thread :-o )

In His perfect love, Chanin

2004/9/10 9:31Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy