Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Tithing vs. Good Stewardship

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
seekinggod

Fond du Lac, WI

Tithing vs. Good Stewardship

This issue may have been brought up before (as I am learning that all of my posts are pointed to previous threads), but here goes:

I feel the Lord teaching me that good stewardship of money and possessions is the key issue, and not tithing 10% to a local church. We can tithe to a church, and not have a heart to glorify the Lord.

Do all thigns for the glory of God.

I do not tithe 10% to my church because I feel i would be a bad steward. How so? My church uses the cash for self-perpetualtion, and uses less than 1% of its tithes for evangelism (try less than $500), missions, etc. I feel my money is better spend by supporting ministries that are money inline with Biblical priorities. Not that I think going to church is a waste...I don't. I appreciate the fellowship, but that's another issue.

I often feel pressured to tithe 10% every week when the bowl is passed around.

Please understand that my family earns a low-middleclass income. It is not my intention to worship greed or materialism, but rather to maximize my money in a way that Glorifies God and His will.

2004/9/9 21:40Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: Tithing vs. Good Stewardship

Quote:
I feel the Lord teaching me that good stewardship of money and possessions is the key issue, and not tithing 10% to a local church. We can tithe to a church, and not have a heart to glorify the Lord.

The Old Testament standard was 10% given to God and was administered by the levitical priests. In the News Testament there is no such firm rule, everyone gave as there was need and had all in common. D.L. Moody states that it was 10% in the Old Testament and in the New Testament its your all. We have been bought with a price therefore honour God, [b]you are not your own[/b]. I personally haven't tithed to my church because I have invested myself life and money into running this ministry SermonIndex. Its what God is speaking to you to do.

A great missionary from the early 1900's Jonathan Goforth gave almost all his spare money to missions and printing tracts and booklets to give away. While in seminary his room was full of booklets and tracts. John Wesley the founder of the Methodist denomination had much money and resources but it was ALL invested into the kingdom of God, into orphaniges, tracts, hymn books, etc.

Pray and give as the Lord allows you to give. I know your fustration with Church's, I am very grieved over how alot of the money is spent in my church. Here are a few curious quotest that relate to what you are saying brother:

"The Lord did not tell us to build beautiful churches, but to evangelize the world."
-Oswald J. Smith

We can't paint the auditorium; they need Bibles in the philippines!"
-Oswald J. Smith

2004/9/9 22:05Profile
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re: Tithing vs. Good Stewardship

Quote:

seekinggod wrote:
I do not tithe 10% to my church because I feel i would be a bad steward. How so? My church uses the cash for self-perpetualtion, and uses less than 1% of its tithes for evangelism (try less than $500), missions, etc. I feel my money is better spend by supporting ministries that are money inline with Biblical priorities.

One common misconception is that tithing is part of Mosaic Law. Actually, it precedes Mosaic Law and was practiced by Abraham. It is refered to in Hebrews, as part of Melchizidek's ministry being a type of Jesus.

With regard to stewardship, the tithe is outside of stewardship, because it wasn't yours to begin with. The tithe is the Lord's, here men receive, but their He receives it. Tithing is separate from "properity doctrine" (in a bad sence of the term), because greedy preachers tend to indirectly ask for the tithe, when making their extraordinary claims toward financial increase, rather than directing you back to your own "storehouse", which is the local church.

One question I have is this, if you are worried about your church's handling of its finance, and you are expressing disagreement with its vision, then maybe you need to consider finding another "storehouse" to sow your tithe into. This may not mean that you leave your church, but submit yourself to the leadership of another that you can respect. In my observation of christians who leave churches, unless they leave with tears, aginst their own will, under the submission of God, they tend to find the same problems at the next church. This is because the problem tends to be internal, rather than external.

This doesn't mean that we need to sit under false doctrine, etc.. but we need to realise that doctrine's are "kid's stuff (according to Art Katz)", and that there is greater maturity that can arise over willing submission to ungodly leaders, for God's glory, than we could ever know in a place of comfort.

An interesting thought was expressed to a friend of my, who is currently facing divorce in his marriage (the things that God allows to get our attention astounds me at times), was that there are many in the body of Christ who can afford to wear the burden of tithing for others that can't afford it. This thought deeply challenged me, as a man who lives life almost contantly on the poverty line, yet alway having exactly enough to provide for my family.

Regarding how you personally view the tithe, and the rationale of paying your tithe into your own ministry, I'll leave you to sort out with God. These are areas that escape my comprehension, at this time (mainly because they aren't relevant to where I'm at in my own personal pilgramige).

Myself, I'll pay my tithe into the church I attend. My logic is that God will never judge me for showing integrity, being mindful of possible disobedience, if I stop tithing. What my church does with my tithe is not my responsability, because it was never mine to begin with.

However, I am very prayerful with want I give beyond this, being mindful of giving out of compulsion. I know that I have missed God's prompting, regarding giving, in the past.

One instance that stands out, is an offering toward a visiting missionary. I gave excessively, and he stated that, the offering came to $1 more than the amount I gave (not that he knew what I gave). He told me that he was thinking of throwing the whole thing in, until he received this. If I hadn't given, this $1 offering, would have cause him to leave the notion of serving on the field.

This man was caught in some horrific sinful circumstances, during his training, which would have been avoided, had I obeyed God. Not that this would have spared him (as it probably would have happened somewhere else), but there were people involved, who definitely would have been, as this person would not have ever met them (maybe this is hard to understand, but integrity demands that I veil the circumstances).

I share this as an example of a circumstance of disobediencethat I know, first hand happened. Imagine the things that have happened, that are beyond our knowledge. In this day and age, it is of paramount importance to "be perfect as (He) is perfect", rather than living by "mere principle".

2004/9/10 7:12Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Hi Seekinggod
yes, we have touched on this earlier. That discussion can be found here... Tithing is not an Old Testament Law

2004/9/10 8:14Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

One common misconception is that tithing is part of Mosaic Law. Actually, it precedes Mosaic Law and was practiced by Abraham.

So was circumcision.

2004/9/10 13:02Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy