SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Helping elderly mother deal with fear (changed thread title)

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
rainydaygirl

Helping elderly mother deal with fear (changed thread title)

My mother is very afraid of the possibilities in this new health care reform bill that is being worked on by the president and congress. Her doctor told her she needed to write letters to her congress men and senators because if it passes he is concerned for the elderly and the kind of care that they would receive. She went home and read the entire bill that they have first and said that what she read really has scared her. I shared with her some scripture to try and comfort her and offered her prayer. She lives pretty far away from me, was thinking and praying about if I should try to find a way to move her near me. She is by herself where she is at? I was wondering if any others here have felt this concern that she is going through and if you might share some of the things that have given you comfort that I may pass them along to her???

With care
rdg

2009/8/3 12:04Profile
HeartSong

Re: coming Health Care ???

Tell her to trust in the LORD. For only in Him will we have the strength to face the coming days. All other systems will fail.

Our Lord is perfectly capable of caring for His own.

2009/8/3 12:30Profile
rainydaygirl

Re:

Thank you heart song for your post. yes I have reminded her to put her faith in the Lord. I agree men will always fail you so will government, we must trust in the Lord. She wants to write letters to her representatives and wants everyone in the family and friends to do the same? Not sure how this sits with me, I have never really involved myself in the goings on of government, rather always looked to be about the Lords will for His kingdom? Wondering if I should be looking into this more now that so much is going on for the negative??? Anyway thanks

with care
rdg

2009/8/3 14:54Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re: coming Health Care ???

Quote:
My mother is very afraid of the possiblities in this new health care reform bill that is being worked on by the president and congress. Her doctor told her she needed to write letters to her congress men and senators because if it passes he is concerned for the elderly and the kind of care that they would receive. She went home and read the entire bill that they have first and said that what she read really has scared her.

Although I can comisserate with your mother and others who are fearful of what the future may hold in regard to the political/health care/global sphere, I must attach a caveat to this thread. Once we start heading down this road, there is no relenting as to how much fear, panic, and unrest can be generated by turning our minds upon these things.

In fact, I would eschew these topics altogether when bringing them into the community of God. All they really do, I have seen, is divert our gaze from eternal prospects and put them on the corrupt engineerings of man. Our wellness is not contingent on healthcare reform, bull or bear markets, foiled ponzi schemes, real estate blowouts or the value of the dollar versus the yen. If we even for a moment preoccupy ourselves with any of the above, we immediately forfeit our peace and joy in God. It's a long downward slope that lands you back in the dunghill of man's kingdom. The things of earth become strangely [i]bright[/i] again.

Once the ball gets rolling in this direction, there is no stopping the fear-mongering and speculation that can arise....especially in today's society where there is a million and one legitimate reasons to panic once our eyes are taken off Jesus.

2009/8/3 15:14Profile
rainydaygirl

Re:

Sorry for posting this here. It was never my intention to start anything with anyone, and defiantly not to cause fear. I really was only wanting to seek out some advice on what might be good to share with my elderly mother. I understand of course she needs to keep her focus on Jesus we all do, I was more thinking that perhaps there were some teaching to share with her that others might know about. Or even some of the older brothers and sisters that come may have some things to share in what the Lord has been showing them in these times as well as times past that He carried them through. My mother has not been a christian for long so she at times needs reassures and help understanding at her age.

As I mention I have never involved myself in anything political, have not voted one way or the other ever so I was also looking at some practical christian perspective on if writing letters is something the Lord would really call us to be about?

Thank you for sharing what the Lord placed on your heart Paul. If this thread is a problem then I am more then happy to delete what I asked and seek council else where. I do not want to cause anyone to stumble or have issues. I will be more mindful in the future. No worries though:-)

With Care in Him
and much thanks
rdg

edit: Just thought that I might make clear that I never had nor do I have any interest in talking about the health care bill itself was just "really" more wanting to give encouragement to my mother during some times of struggle for her.(fear and worry) Maybe I was not clear about that in my other post, sorry am really working on what I write and how it might be interpreted by others. As Christians it is at times difficult to wade through all of this because it does affect us and yet we are to be about His Kingdom, I am still learning myself how to walk in this as a young christian myself.
thanks again

2009/8/3 15:36Profile

Re:

What exactly is she afraid of? I am wondering if it's not the Doctor who is afraid of losing his big bucks from the health insurance companies.

I live in Canada and our health care is paid by the government through our tax dollars. It's the best system that one can have. I never pay a cent to go see the Doctor. However I do have to pay $10 dollars if it's medical exam for my job. And those that need Cancer treatment is not covered any more thus you still need some coverage.

What Obama is doing is what the United States should have done a long time ago for it's citizens. The one's who are troubled by this is the health insurance companies who by the way, will still be around because not everything that Obamacare is proposing is going to be funded by the government. If I want dental care it's either cash or health insurance, the system does not pay for it. I need to have varicose veins removal from my left leg, because there is no vascular surgeons in this province it would be free, but I have to go out of province to get them lasered which is going to cost me $3000 beans. Yes the line ups for surgery can be long, but they take the most serious first. The problem for the line up is that we simply do not have the specialized Doctors in this country to handle each case.

2009/8/3 17:52
HeartSong

Re:

Quote:
. . . was just "really" more wanting to give encouragement to my mother during some times of struggle for her.

One thing that I do when I tend towards fear is to think on all of the good things that the Lord has done for me - ways that He has shown forth His faithfulness and ability to provide. Some people keep a list so that they can review it during troubled times.

2009/8/3 18:02Profile
rainydaygirl

Re:

Thank you DeepThinker for your reply but as I stated I was not interested in discussing the health care bill itself, but rather how to share Jesus with an elderly mother who is struggling with fear because of it. As for her doctor worry about loosing money or not I do not know what his motives or intentions were when he spoke with her(and I believe to assume and say one way or the other about his motives would be sin. He is not here to defend himself after all) I really just was hoping for some teachings to share with her, to point her towards Jesus. Heart song and Paul are correct when they shared that she needs to keep her focus on the Lord.

If you have some articles to share that would be really great, but please keep to the point of the thread.

with care in Him
rdg

Edit:after some prayer and thought decided to change the title of my thread to better get across what I was looking to discuss. Think this fits better. Thanks everyone.

2009/8/3 18:02Profile
rainydaygirl

Re:

One thing that I do when I tend towards fear is to think on all of the good things that the Lord has done for me - ways that He has shown forth His faithfulness and ability to provide. Some people keep a list so that they can review it during troubled times.

heart song that is a really good idea, I have done that myself. I will mention that to her as well. I was sharing with her some of Ginnyrose testimonies to, all the times she has been through with the Lord always being there for her. I think it has helped. I just kind of think that since she is new to being a christian she really needs to learn to trust in the Lord and what it means to walk by faith? Does that make sense?

with care in Him
rdg

2009/8/3 18:08Profile
HeartSong

Re:

The absolutely best thing to do is to get down on your face before Him and start praising Him - even in your fear - actually, necessarily, because of your fear. This brings forth riches untold.

:-)

2009/8/3 18:11Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy