SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Preaching of the wrath of God like Edwards (etc) is bad or good?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Preaching of the wrath of God like Edwards (etc) is bad or good?

Someone said recently that they learn NOT to speak of the wrath of God, the judgment of God. They speak more on the grace of God instead.

Matthew 23:23
Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

I know what the answer is, but I just wanted to hear what you have to say.

2009/8/2 22:27

Re: Preaching of the wrath of God like Edwards (etc) is bad or good?

Well, it's both bad and good.

It really depends on what crowd your speaking to. If your speaking to the crowd that know the truth and hide it in unrighteousness then judgement, like the example you've given about the Pharisees.

Then there are sinners who haven't heard the truth, to them I would preach grace and the good news.

But both crowds can feel the judgement of God depending on what the Spirit is doing with them. It all depends on what God desires to do with each crowd because there is no rules laid down. In one city there could be great joy, while in another there is great sorrow and repentance and people crying out to save them from being destroyed.

That's my dimes worth.

2009/8/2 22:44

Re:

Similar to what I thought... The good news includes His judgment, His wrath as well, but it is used with discretion as with everything.

2009/8/2 22:50
ceedub

Canada

Re:

Jude 22 And of some have compassion, making a difference:
23 And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

2009/8/3 0:38Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

it depends on who is preaching it, i have heard two different persons preach the same message as in context and topic, the wrath and anger of God and his judgment, one was anointed and really awoken the fear of God and at the same time encouraged to seek God, the other just came across as bitter and hateful and preaching just because it was a radical message, and somewhat prideful over the fact he preached a "strong" message.

We preach what God has said, Edwards preached this strong sermon, but if you where to read all his sermons you will find he preached mostly on Gods love. I think we lack preaching on Gods wrath and judgement in todays Christendom, but what we lack even more is men who have meet God and have meet the requirements for being able to preach such messages and have Gods anointing on them.

Just my thoughts.

2009/8/3 2:50Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy