SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Who will He BE to ME?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
makrothumia

Texas

Who will He BE to ME?

Who will Jesus BE to ME?

Is Jesus the same to everyone? There are those who believe He is and those who would disagree. What does the bible say? We know that Jesus is the same today, yesterday and forever – but the question most relevant to us is – Who will Jesus BE to Me? Does our walk have anything to do with how He will be to us? Is Jesus one way to some men and a different way to others? Knowing that Jesus will be what He has been, I urge you to read carefully what the record will clearly indicate.
Let’s begin by looking at how Jesus introduces Himself to four of the churches in Revelation. To each of the seven churches Jesus takes a portion of the full revelation of Himself that He had shown John and begins His word to that particular church with the aspect of Himself most relevant to the church He is addressing. Note first His introduction to the church of Pergamos, which had some among them who held to the teachings of Balaam and others who held to the doctrines of the Nicolaitans. To this church He introduces Himself as “He who has the sharp two-edged sword.” To the church of Thyatira that was tolerating the woman Jezebel and her evil influences, Jesus introduces Himself as “The Son of God, who has eyes like a flame of fire….” To the church of Laodicea who saw themselves as wealthy, rich, and having need of nothing, while in fact they were wretched, poor, miserable and blind, Jesus introduces Himself as “The Amen, the Faithful and True Witness….” Not all is negative though, for to the church of Smyrna for whom there is no rebuke, Jesus begins His word to them by introducing Himself as “The First and the Last, who was dead and came to life….”
Jesus will not appear the same to everyone and He will not give the same reward to everyone; “each man will be rewarded according to his own works.” Consider His warning to some in the church of Sardis – “Remember therefore how you have received and heard: hold fast and repent. Therefore if you will not watch, I will come upon you as a thief, and you will not know what hour I will come upon you.” How Jesus will come to us depends entirely upon our walk. This is amply illustrated in Jesus’ words found in Luke 12:35-48: “Let your waist be girded and your lamps burning; and you yourselves be like men who wait for their master, when he will return from the wedding, that when he comes and knocks they may open to him immediately. Blessed are those servants whom the master, when he comes, will find watching. Assuredly, I say to you that he will gird himself and have them sit down to eat, and will come and serve them. And if he should come in the second watch, or come in the third watch, and find them so, blessed are those servants. But know this, that if the master of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched and not allowed his house to be broken into. Therefore you also be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect. Then Peter said to Him, Lord, do You speak this parable only to us, or to all people? And the Lord said, ‘Who then is that faithful and wise steward, who his master will make ruler over his household, to give them their portion of food in due season? Blessed is that servant whom his master will find so doing when he comes. Truly, I say to you that he will make him ruler over all that he has. But if that servant says in his heart, My master is delaying his coming, and begins to beat the male and female servants, and to eat and drink and be drunk, the master of that servant will come on a day when he is not looking for him, and at an hour when his is not aware, and will cut him in two and appoint him his portion with the unbelievers. And that servant who knew his master’s will, and did not prepare himself or do according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes. But he who did not know, yet committed things deserving of stripes, shall be beaten with few. For everyone to whom much is given, from him much will be required; and to whom much has been committed, of him they will ask the more.’ “
The same Jesus will be two different masters to two different servants. To the faithful servant who prepares himself and is found watching and serving, Jesus will be the benevolent master who rewards with kindness. However, to the unfaithful servant, who neither prepares himself, nor is found watching and serving, Jesus will come like a thief to seize that one, cut him in two with his own sword and assign him his place with the unbelievers. Jesus is not the same to everyone. This should be no surprising revelation, but it is often forgotten when we fail to understand why Jesus would appear to be stern to some and kind to others. Have we fully comprehended these words? – “God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.”
Even in the parable of the talents we can see that the same master appears as two different men to his servants. To the faithful servants who put what he had entrusted to them to good use, he was the gracious rewarder of their diligence; but to the self-centered, lazy servant, he appeared as a judge sentencing a criminal. Many of us forget the end of the parable that Luke alone records foreshadowing the end for all who do not joyfully serve the man whom God has appointed Lord of heaven and earth. Luke records the last act of the recently returned, newly crowned King, with these words – “But bring here those enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, and slay them before me.” The same Lord who is kind to some is severe to others.
This is no new revelation, for David the man after God’s own heart clearly understood and recorded this in Psalm 18:25-27 “To the faithful You show Yourself faithful, to the blameless You show Yourself blameless, to the pure You show Yourself pure, but to the crooked You show Yourself shrewd. You save the humble but bring low those whose eyes are haughty.”

God is the same
He does not change
this is plain to see
But this does not answer
the most crucial question
Who will He BE to ME?

2009/7/29 11:59Profile
broclint

West Monroe, LA

Re: Who will He BE to ME?

This is a reminder worthy of frequent repetition.

It coincides with the perfect justice of God demonstrated in many other areas as well... Matthew 7:2 (ESV)
2 For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you.

And: Matthew 12:37 (ESV)
37 for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”

And: Matthew 7:12 (ESV)
12 “So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

Perfect balance, perfect justice, perfect God.

Thank you for this post as well as your many other thought provoking contributions.

Clint

2009/8/7 14:23Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy