SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : How Do You Think We Should Study Scripture?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Mattie

How Do You Think We Should Study Scripture?

How do you think we should approach the study of Scriptures?

There are many different methods out there today. There are those who believe it is important to use commentaries. Others believe it is vital that every church have 'expository' preaching and go verse by verse through the bible. But what is the purpose of the entire bible? And how should we approach it?

I am in total agreement that context is very important, and whatever truth we proclaim must come out of context. However I feel we mishandle Scripture and treat it like a rule book or a manual. Is that really why the Holy Spirit inspired the Scriptures?

My thoughts is this...

John 5:39-40 'You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. But you are not willing to come to ME that you might have life.'

Jesus told us how Scriptures should be used - they are testifying of a Person, Himself. We should not study them to look for methods or principles for living. We should not try to find 'life' by looking into the book. The book is an arrow pointing us to the Life, Jesus Christ. Our life is not in a book but a Person who is living and active. Yes I believe Scriptures are inspired by God and have use for teaching and rebuke, but the overall purpose of it accordin to Jesus is to testify of Himself.

Where is the proclaiming of Jesus Christ? Not rules. Not methods. Not a manual. But a testimony of the Christ who indwells us. A discovery of His eternal purpose.

I believe we need to return to the book in a fresh way.

2009/7/27 20:57Profile
Mattie

Re: How Do You Think We Should Study Scripture?

Also, one more thing to consider...

When the Holy Spirit touched men to write the Scriptures, there were no verses or chapters in these books. They were read as an entire book. Even in the early church, the Scriptures were seen as an unfolding story pointing to the Messiah. While there are occasions where they quote specific passages (Peter at Pentecost, Paul in the synagogues, etc.), I believe the passages were coming out of their knowledge of the unfolding history that pointed to their Lord.

As an author once said "Our verses that we use should bow down to the bigger picture and story".

2009/7/27 21:00Profile
reformer

1 Cor 8:2
There are times we strive to learn scripture more than the One who scripture testifies about. many can know scripture page by page but yet not know Christ.

thought provoking thread.

2009/7/27 21:10Profile
jiyouk

Re:

Agree very much with both of you..

Context is very important as context actually reveals Jesus more.
No no one can study the scriptures like one studies a physics book.

When reading the scripture, one should always be reflecting the message back to oneself( primarily) then the church (secondly). Otherwise it often becomes some kind of a rule book or intellectual structuring that satisfies ones thirst for puffed up knowledge.
For example if Abraham sacrifices Isaac we should question, "why does God want Abraham to sacrifice Isaac?"
Then, "Would I sacrifice my Isaac? Is it already sacrificed before him in my heart?"

If Jesus says "you are the light of the world."
Then the meditator should ask, "Am I carrying out this mission as the light of the world as Jesus told me? Am I holding the gospel up everywhere I go up on that hill?"

I like intelectually organizing the good news, but I feel that the more I do so, the more distant I become from the real Jesus, and the gospel is somehow intertwined with my voice that says "I'm right" using the bible. However the more we meditate on the word with the attitude of search me oh God and know my heart.. The more holy spirit teaches us about sin righteousness, and judgement.. And the more Jesus lives in us..

2009/7/27 22:15Profile
Lysa

East TN (for now)

Quote:
Mattie wrote:

(deleted)

Mattie,

What do you want out of the Scriptures? People usually get out of it exactly what they are looking for. Some study it line by line, letter by letter to argue with people over it and they find exactly what they are looking for. Others read it to find life for their souls and they find what they exactly what they are looking for! Isn't that amazing?!

Atheists read these Scriptures so they know our arguments, they read it and they aren't saved! What does that tell you? LOL We get out of it exactly what we go looking for.

*** But you are right about one thing... [i]we need to return to the book in a fresh way.[/i] Amen!!

2009/7/28 0:38Profile

Re: Eat the flesh of Jesus!

To Lysa:

Eat My Flesh, Drink My Blood!

Jesus said that we must eat His flesh and drink His blood!

[color=990000][b]“How do we “eat the flesh” of Jesus? How can we accomplish such a thing?[/color][/b]

(John 6:53) Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

(John 6:55) For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed

(John 6:54) Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

(John 6:56) He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.

(John 6:55) For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.

[color=990000][b][u]The “flesh” of Jesus[/u]

Jesus is the Word! (John 1:14) And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us…

Jesus is called the Word of God: Rev 19:13 And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.

The “flesh” of Jesus therefore refers to the “letter” of the word which is accessible to all, just as He was visible and seen by many people in His time. [/color][/b]

[b][color=3300FF][u]“Eating the flesh of Jesus”[/u]

Jeremiah “ate the word” of God, therefore he must have “eaten the flesh” of Jesus!

Jer 15:16 Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts.

David “ate the words,” therefore like Jeremiah he must have “eaten the flesh” of Jesus :

Psa 119:103 How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth!

So was John the apostle, as he was exiled in the isle of Patmos. The angel told him to eat the “book.”

Rev 10:9 And I went unto the angel, and said unto him, Give me the little book. And he said unto me, Take it, and eat it up…10 And I took the little book out of the angel's hand, and ate it up… [/color][/b]

[color=990000][b]We eat the flesh of Jesus when we read His Word. We read His Word, and pray it back to Him in the early morning. We think about His Word during our busy day. We study His Word in the evening. What are we doing- we are internalizing His Word, and bringing it from our heads and into hearts. We are eating His flesh, as He commanded us. We are dining on Him, The Word![/color][/b]

Sincerely,

Walter

Quote:

Lysa wrote:
Quote:
Mattie wrote:

(deleted)

Mattie,

What do you want out of the Scriptures? People usually get out of it exactly what they are looking for. Some study it line by line, letter by letter to argue with people over it and they find exactly what they are looking for. Others read it to find life for their souls and they find what they exactly what they are looking for! Isn't that amazing?!

Atheists read these Scriptures so they know our arguments, they read it and they aren't saved! What does that tell you? LOL We get out of it exactly what we go looking for.

*** But you are right about one thing... [i]we need to return to the book in a fresh way.[/i] Amen!!

2009/7/29 0:04
jiyouk

Re:

To Waltern,
Never thought of it they way that you described it. It does make sense though.
From the context of "eat my flesh and drink my blook or you will have no part of me." This scripture seems to point to the cross and how we need to be crucified with Jesus on the cross. On the cross is where Jesus's flesh was ripped and his blood poured out. We are to eat it, meaning participate with the death of Jesus and make the cross (through the Holy Spirit) the center of our life.
As Paul says in Romans 6
"Don't you know that when you were babptized with Jesus you were baptized with him in death?"
"If we have died with Him, we will also live with Him"
I agree with Waltern that eating the word is important. Along with it, participating with the cross with Jesus by dying with Him in faith is also one of the most important aspects of this verse.
"Unless a kernel of wheat falls on the ground and dies, it will bear no fruit."
Are the believers here dead with Jesus on the cross? THen we can be sure that we will also live with Him in life.

2009/7/29 0:42Profile

Re: How are we to Drink Christ's Blood?

To jiyouk:

I agree with your statement as well:

Quote:
[b].............. Along with it, participating with the cross with Jesus by dying with Him in faith is also one of the most important aspects of this verse.
Are the believers here dead with Jesus on the cross? THen we can be sure that we will also live with Him in life.

[/b]

[color=990000][b]The “blood” of Jesus

How are we to "Drink His Blood"???

Without the shedding blood, there is no remission of sins. Jesus said:

Mat 26:28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

It is the shedding of blood on the cross that fulfilled the Testament, and with this made the Holy Spirit available to all.[u]It is the Holy Spirit that reveals great things from the “letter” of the Word, NOT FROM OUR WICKED HEARTS! He is the Teacher, AND HE TEACHES US FROM GOD'S WORD AS WE READ IT, AND STUDY IT, AND INTERNALIZE IT![/u]

(John 14:26) But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost…he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

(1 John 2:27) But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth…

Hence the “blood of Jesus” relates to the “Holy Spirit” or more fittingly symbolizes Him. It is with the shedding of blood on the cross that the Holy Spirit is made available to all who have the persona of “conversion and become as little children.” Therefore, divine knowledge and wisdom of the Disciples (Fishermen & uneducated men of the Scriptures) is proof of “drinking the blood” of Jesus:

Luk 10:21 …Jesus rejoiced in spirit, and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes: even so, Father; for so it seemed good in thy sight.

(Isaiah 28:9) Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts.

(2 Tim 3:15)[u] And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.[/u] [/color][/b]

Sincerely,

Walter

Quote:

jiyouk wrote:
To Waltern,
Never thought of it they way that you described it. It does make sense though.
From the context of "eat my flesh and drink my blook or you will have no part of me." This scripture seems to point to the cross and how we need to be crucified with Jesus on the cross. On the cross is where Jesus's flesh was ripped and his blood poured out. We are to eat it, meaning participate with the death of Jesus and make the cross (through the Holy Spirit) the center of our life.
As Paul says in Romans 6
"Don't you know that when you were babptized with Jesus you were baptized with him in death?"
"If we have died with Him, we will also live with Him"
I agree with Waltern that eating the word is important. Along with it, participating with the cross with Jesus by dying with Him in faith is also one of the most important aspects of this verse.

2009/7/29 1:29
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

Thank you for this post Walter & Thank you to the person who started this thread,

Each night as I say my prayers, I pray the Lord's Prayer and meditate on each phrase. When I ask for my 'daily bread' I remember Jesus is the Bread of Life.

Your explanation of Drinking His Blood was very illuminating. It also was the first time I understood that there is no need to put a 'The' in front of His name when speaking of Him. His name is Holy Spirit. It is so simple, I don't know why I never understood before.

Great posts & excellent thread.

Kindest regards,
White Stone

2009/7/29 10:56Profile
bobmcd510

Re:

I've been struggling with this same question lately. I agree with all of you that it's different for different people and different for us at different times.

Zac Poonen says to take it slow. We're not trying to get a guiness record.. when the Holy Spirit gives you a red light, stop. meditate on it. Think hard and pray about it, ask God for revelation and insight.

I believe it was Witness Lee (or one of the preachers in Asia during Watchman Nee's time) that said he went through the bible many times in a short period while he was in the hospital and that was his theology training.

Robert Thompson said when reading scripture we're like cattle in a field.. we graze through it. It's like walking down the street and passing a shoe repair shop every day.. we never noticed it until our shoe breaks and then BAM! there it is when we need it.

Whatever our method at least we can all agree that God says in His word to meditate on it and dwell in it daily, to write it on our hearts. It's a personal letter from the Lord to us.

2009/7/30 12:52Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy