Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 THE WAY TO KNOW by Oswald Chambers

[b]THE WAY TO KNOW[/b]

"If any man will do His will, he shall know of the doctrine . . ." John 7:17

The golden rule for understanding spiritually is not intellect, but obedience. If a man wants scientific knowledge, intellectual curiosity is his guide; but if he wants insight into what Jesus Christ teaches, he can only get it by obedience. If things are dark to me, then I may be sure there is something I will not do. Intellectual darkness comes through ignorance; spiritual darkness comes because of something I do not intend to obey.

No man ever receives a word from God without instantly being put to the test over it. We disobey and then wonder why we don't go on spiritually. 'If when you come to the altar,' said Jesus, 'there you remember your brother hath ought against you . . . don't say another word to Me, but first go and put that thing right.' The teaching of Jesus hits us where we live. We cannot stand as humbugs before Him for one second. He educates us down to the scruple. The Spirit of God unearths the spirit of self-vindication; He makes us sensitive to things we never thought of before.

When Jesus brings a thing home by His word, don't shirk it. If you do, you will become a religious humbug. Watch the things you shrug your shoulders over, and you will know why you do not go on spiritually. First go - at the risk of being thought fanatical you must obey what God tells you.

2009/7/27 10:11Profile
JoanM

Re: THE WAY TO KNOW by Oswald Chambers

If you see 2 Chron.7:14 as an ordered sequence, the last is "turn from their wicked ways." Much is said about gross wicked ways of the flesh, and often now sins of the spirit are brought forward. This comment from Chambers points to greater wickedness. The Truth of God, [u][b]obeying[/u][/b] the Truth, is jammed packed with resurrection power. Not obeying steals/blocks Spirit from Truth. The fruit of obedience is awesome, things that no man could produce.

There is great gain when we finally understand that all the DO THIS of the NT that replaced the DO NOT in the OT are for simple obedience. even immediate obedience.

It sounds so simple and obvious but honestly I was staggered by this Truth. It was like, "Oh you mean do this? Actually do it? Like right now? It's that simple?" Understanding follows obedience. Understanding Him and His way, follows obedience.

I have seen obstacles in offerings and in prayer removed by simple obedience to these two (Matthew 5: 23-24 and Mark 11: 24-26)

I wonder how many disagreements over doctrine would be solved in a similar way? John 7:17 Great post for us, Greg.

2009/7/27 12:49Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy