SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Talking animals?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Talking animals?

Does anyone have any ideas on why in Genesis chapter 3 it doesn't state that Eve was afraid or surprised when the serpent spoke to her? In fact, it seems as though Eve held quite a calm conversation with the serpent. (Although I'm sure there wouldn't have been fear in Eden) Do you think that the animals spoke in the garden of Eden and they would, therefore, speak in Heaven, that we will be able to converse with animals in eternity? These are just some thoughts which I have been mulling over and I thought I would see if anyone here has any ideas.

2009/7/26 18:01

Re: Talking animals?

For those who might be interested, I put some time aside and did a little google research and this is what I came up with. (There isn't all that much on the topic, but apparently I'm not the only one who thinks of such things!) :)

"We have enmity between animals and humans today. There is limited communication.

But that is not the way it was supposed to be.Originally it appears that animals could talk. For example the serpent spoke to Eve. But after the Fall, there was emnity between man and beasts.This continues even down until today.

Isaiah 11:6 "The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them."

In the future, during the Millennium, there will a restoration of normalcy. We also know that Balaam’s donkey could speak, when given the brief ability. Perhaps in Eden some animals could "talk" or communicate with humans more directly."
http://www.drdino.com/read-article.php?id=125

And here is an interesting article on one of Wesley's sermons entitled, 'The General Deliverance'. "Nothing can be more express: Away with vulgar prejudices, and let the plain word of God take place. They "shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption, into glorious liberty," -- even a measure, according as they are capable, -- of "the liberty of the children of God."
"To descend to a few particulars: The whole brute creation will then, undoubtedly, be restored, not only to the vigour, strength, and swiftness which they had at their creation, but to a far higher degree of each than they ever enjoyed. They will be restored, not only to that measure of understanding which they had in paradise, but to a degree of it as much higher than that, as the understanding of an elephant is beyond that of a worm. And whatever affections they had in the garden of God, will be restored with vast increase; being exalted and refined in a manner which we ourselves are not now able to comprehend. The liberty they then had will be completely restored, and they will be free in all their motions."
Full article:
http://www.all-creatures.org/articles/an-tpr-gendel-3.html

Adam named all the animals and remembered their names, just think of the enormous amount of intelligence it took to have been able to do this! (I don't know anyone who could do this today, our intelligence is too limited due to the consequences of the fall). Assuming that there will be animals in heaven, it stands to reason, for me, that there will be no confines in their immortal bodies also.
To think of heaven, what it will be like in eternity, goes beyond all we could ever conceive with our limited understanding and intelligence! But I like to try! :)
I know that there isn't enough preaching on hell but I would love to hear more preaching on Heaven... where we, as followers of Christ, will spend eternity.

2009/7/27 16:23
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

Don't know about all animals in heaven, but I know that there will be horses in Heaven.

2009/7/27 19:25Profile
HeartSong

Re:

I find this all to be quite delightful. I have always had a soft spot for animals and usually talk to them as if they could understand - and actually I think that they understand far more than we realize. My dog listens as if she understands - cocking her head to the side on the words that she can identify with.

When you look into the eyes of a dog, or a horse, or a cow, there is a depth that goes far beyond what some would term as "just a dumb animal" - and maybe that is it - they are dumb in that they can not speak but not necessarily in understanding.

2009/7/27 21:15Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy