SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Reliance upon secondary sources for guidance

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Gideons

Virginia

Reliance upon secondary sources for guidance

I was talking to a pastor the other day and to my dismay, the Holy Spirit revealed some unbelief in my heart.

I explained to this man that I read the scriptures but also said that I listen to a lot of sermons and read a lot of secondary information. There's certainly nothing wrong with these things but what it revealed in my heart was something like this "Holy Spirit, I don't really trust you to reveal your word to me. Because of my unbelief, I will rely on those I know to be Godly but I won't rely on you directly."

Would God lead me astray?

No, of course not. This particular "crutch", however, revealed unbelief in my heart. I just pray that although all of the resources here are plentiful and serve a purpose, we would not rely on them in lieu of the Holy Spirit. That would be a travesty and grevious sin in my estimation.

I recall Brother Dave's words (Wilkinson) in which he said "The clearest word you will ever here from God, is when God speaks directly to you." Let us never forget this very important truth.

2004/9/7 17:34Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: Reliance upon secondary sources for guidance

Quote:
I recall Brother Dave's words (Wilkinson) in which he said "The clearest word you will ever here from God, is when God speaks directly to you." Let us never forget this very important truth.

Amen brother that is so true, but even in my case the Holy Spirit will lead me to a book or commentary or resource (audio sermon) to show me a divine truth. Are we going to be stubborn and demand God to show us all divine truth by revelation of the Holy Spirit apart from books? in a room full of them? Thats in essence what spurgeon said.. God will use both. But very much agreed the more sure word is not even prophecy in the bible but the witness of the spirit Himself. But the most secondary use the Lord used is the written word of God, that precious book we have given to use to meditate upon and read.

I recall Leonard Ravenhill saying in regards to prayer that you should go to God directly.. and then if you are having in a sense lack of faith and zeal, read a book by bounds etc that will drive you on your knees in prayer.

I have been concerned many times that people are just on SI taking in these resources but not getting in touch with God Himself. Hearing about God but not coming to God to be changed.

I really challanged everyone to watch this video, I was re-challanged to be more zealous in my quiet times with God two days ago after watching this video:

[b][url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=4801]Bearing Fruit for Christ (video) by Keith Daniel[/url] [/b]

2004/9/7 17:50Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Proverbs tells us that there is wisdom in a plurality of counselors. Ephesians also teaches that the ministers Christ has given the Church are gifts to the Church. We should not neglect the counsel of other studied men, nor should we neglect what God will say through the ministers He has given us... for if we neglect these men when God has given them to us, then we are poor stewards.

2004/9/7 18:35Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
We should not neglect the counsel of other studied men, nor should we neglect what God will say through the ministers He has given us... for if we neglect these men when God has given them to us, then we are poor stewards.

Yes but as brother Ed is maintaining the most important thing we have to be stewards of is our deposit guaranteeing what is too come. The spirit of truth that leads into all truth.. are we willing to believe it and also walk in it is the question.. unbelief is a hinderance to this.. It's something good to chew on thanks brother Ed.

2004/9/7 18:38Profile
Gideons

Virginia

Re:

Yes, this is an interesting question.

I believe you God but (I couldn't understand whether this thing or that thing is true, so I'll defer to someone else's opinion). Whenever I say I believe you God but, it's important to look at what we place after the but.

I'm not criticizing anyone here but in my own heart have been convicted of what I believe to be unbelief.

I think the Holy Spirit as the author of scripture will draw a line in our hearts as we seek his wisdom. To put it another way, "Do I believe the Spirit of Truth will deceive if I seek Him with all my heart?"

2004/9/7 19:42Profile
seekinggod

Fond du Lac, WI

Re: Reliance upon secondary sources for guidance

As long as we understand that we don't need the wise men to teach us, then I think we are in a right frame of mind.

If you aren't "hearing" from God, then get in the Word and pray. If your walk is strong, then books and sermons are a great compliment.

2004/9/7 20:09Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
If you aren't "hearing" from God, then get in the Word and pray. If your walk is strong, then books and sermons are a great compliment.

I think thats a great word of wisdom brother.. we can't allow books, sermons, to replace the "hearing" of God in our lifes, but once we are "hearing" other things can compliment this and God will lead us to them. Praise God.

2004/9/7 20:18Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I really challanged everyone to watch this video, I was re-challanged to be more zealous in my quiet times with God two days ago after watching this video:

[b][url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=4801]Bearing Fruit for Christ (video) by Keith Daniel[/url] [/b]

"To those who have found rest to their souls in Jesus Christ, but those whose spiritual life has gradually become feeble and languishing, I say without hesitation that this evil arises from their neglect of prayer and meditation. They are content to know these things without practicing them. They speak of the grace of God, but they seek it not. They know Jesus Christ, but they do not cultivate a close communion with Him. They are not sufficiently Christians in private. They do no seek Christ in their closets. It is in vain to expect to find God in the temple, if He does not accompany us there.
The source of life is not ourselves. It is in God and in proportion as we neglect to apply to this source, by prayer, reading, and meditation, we shall become dry and unfruitful, just as a meadow in a sandy soil, and exposed to the sun would languish and fade for want of water."
-Felix Neff [i](The Brainerd of the High Alps)[/i]

2004/9/7 23:48Profile
seekinggod

Fond du Lac, WI

Re:

Thanks for the encouragement.

I learned the hard way by relying on books waaaaay to much in my early walk with the Lord.

The Lord taught me that things can get cloudy very quickly if we aren't grounded in the Word and in prayer, sitting at His feet.

The simplicity of Christ can easily be lost in consumer-driven Christianity.

I prefer sermons over books, for the most part. Sermons, for me, convey the spirit of the message in a way that ink doesn't.

Praise God for this ministry! AFter hearinf 10 Shekels and a Shirt, and A Call to Anguish, my walk was never the same :-)

2004/9/8 19:12Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy