SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : The value of suffering

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

The value of suffering

[i]“The favours of God to men all spring up out of His eternal thoughts and purposes of mercy for them; as all our dutiful regards to God spring forth from our remembrance of Him. God is always mindful of us, let us never be forgetful of Him.” Matthew Henry

“Dr. Owen observes…that the Lord Jesus Christ, being consecrated and perfected through suffering, has consecrated the way of suffering for all His followers to pass through unto glory; and hereby their sufferings are made necessary and unavoidable, they are hereby made honorable, useful and profitable.” Matthew Henry

“But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man. For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.” Hebrews 2:9-10[/i]

Suffering is important and each us will go through suffering of some type. Everyone suffers but not everyone realizes the value and importance of their suffering in the work God is doing in each of their lives.

“But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you. To him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.” 1 Peter 5:10-11

We would do well to stop and really think through what our suffering is. Identify it. Acknowledge that this difficult thing in your life falls into this category of suffering. Do not just wander along aimlessly groaning and moaning about all your troubles. God has a divine and specific purpose for your suffering.

Examine your character and see where you are lacking. Ask the Lord to reveal what He is working on in you. Do you need more faith and trust in God? Then pursue it. Study the passages of Scripture that reveal the greatness of your God who has so much love towards you that He sent His only begotten Son to this earth to die for you (1 John 3:1). Ask the Lord to increase your faith in Him. (“And the apostles said unto the Lord, Increase our faith.” Lu 17:5). He is well pleased with the faith-filled heart (Heb. 11:6).

Do you lack patience? Then rejoice that your sufferings give you the opportunity to cultivate patience (James 1:2-4). If you lack wisdom (James 3:17) then ask God for it for He gives liberally to all men (James 1:5-6), just make sure you ask in faith. J 2 Peter 1:5-8 instructs us to do the work of addition in our Christian lives. Yes, God is the One who gives, but we are the ones who must ask in faith.

Don’t allow the sufferings in your life to be wasted. Seek to discover what work God is doing in your life through your trial and then submit yourself to this working of His hands and then become a willing participant of the work of perfection He is doing in you.

[i]“For they disciplined us for a short time as it seemed best to them, but he disciplines us for our good, that we may share his holiness. For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.” (Heb 12:10-11 ESV)

“For you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.” James 1:3-4 (ESV)[/i]

[url=http://joy.courvillefamily.com/joy/?p=271]source[/url]

2009/7/21 23:18

Re: The value of suffering

Quote:
“But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you. To him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.”

Quote:
“For they disciplined us for a short time as it seemed best to them, but he disciplines us for our good, that we may share his holiness. For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.”

Roniya, these post are a real inspiration to me, they have often brought tears to my eyes when I've read of the enormous sufferings our persecuted brothers and sisters go through for their faith, and when the Holy Spirit has brought to mind things which I need to bring to Him.
A lady who knew all about suffering, Corrie Ten Boom once said,"Happiness isn't something that depends on our surroundings... It's something we make inside ourselves". (The Hiding Place)
When I've heard her share (mainly on the downloads here) and read her books, the first thing which seems to flood me is her Christ~like beauty, especially when she talked about forgiving and loving those who tortured her and her family. This was a lady who really did share the holiness of Christ and was used so much by God, through her suffering, to exude His love, to become more like Him and she's reaping her reward now.
Your posts are such an encouragement to me and I thank God for them! God bless!

2009/7/22 5:48

Re:

Thank you, sister Joy, for your encouragement. :) I thank God for you! And thank you for sharing those things from Corrie Ten Boon's messages. I need to listen to more of her messages...

God bless you also!

2009/7/22 22:14

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy