Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Amy Carmicheal's Dream

[img]http://www.reslifechurch.com/graphics/amy-carmichael.jpg[/img]

[b]Amy Carmicheal's Dream[/b]

The tom-toms thumped straight on all night and the darkness shuddered round me like a living, feeling thing. I could not go to sleep, so I lay awake and looked; and I saw, as it seemed, this:

That I stood on a grassy sward, and at my feet a precipice broke sheer down into infinite space. I looked, but saw no bottom; only cloud shapes, black and furiously coiled, and great shadow-shrouded hollows, and unfathomable depths. Back I drew, dizzy at the depth.

Then I saw forms of people moving single file along the grass. They were making for the edge. There was a woman with a baby in her arms and another little child holding on to her dress. She was on the very verge. Then I saw that she was blind. She lifted her foot for the next step . . . it trod air. She was over, and the children over with her. Oh, the cry as they went over!

Then I saw more streams of people flowing from all quarters. All were blind, stone blind; all made straight for the precipice edge. There were shrieks, as they suddenly knew themselves falling, and a tossing up of helpless arms, catching, clutching at empty air. But some went over quietly, and fell without a sound.

Then I wondered, with a wonder that was simply agony, why no one stopped them at the edge. I could not. I was glued to the ground, and I could only call; though I strained and tried, only whisper would come.

Then I saw that along the edge there were sentries set at intervals. But the intervals were too great; there were wide, unguarded gaps between. And over these gaps the people fell in their blindness, quite unwarned; and the green grass seemed blood-red to me, and the gulf yawned like the mouth of hell.

Then I saw, like a little picture of peace, a group of people under some trees with their backs turned toward the gulf. They were making daisy chains. Sometimes when a piercing shriek cut the quiet air and reached them, it disturbed them and they thought it a rather vulgar noise. And if one of their number started up and wanted to go and do something to help, then all the others would pull that one down. "Why should you get so excited about it? You must wait for a definite call to go! You haven't finished your daisy chain yet. It would be really selfish," they said, "to leave us to finish the work alone."

There was another group. It was made up of people whose great desire was to get more sentries out; but they found that very few wanted to go, and sometimes there were no sentries set for miles and miles of the edge.

Once a girl stood alone in her place, waving the people back; but her mother and other relations called and reminded her that her furlough was due; she must not break the rules. And being tired and needing a change, she had to go and rest for awhile; but no one was sent to guard her gap, and over and over the people fell, like a waterfall of souls.

Once a child caught at a tuft of grass that grew at the very brink of the gulf; it clung convulsively, and it called-but nobody seemed to hear. Then the roots of the grass gave way, and with a cry the child went over, its two little hands still holding tight to the torn-off bunch of grass. And the girl who longed to be back in her gap thought she heard the little one cry, and she sprang up and wanted to go; at which they reproved her, reminding her that no one is necessary anywhere; the gap would be well taken care of, they knew. And then they sang a hymn.

Then through the hymn came another sound like the pain of a million broken hearts wrung out in one full drop, one sob. And a horror of great darkness was upon me, for I knew what it was-the Cry of the Blood.

Then thundered a voice, the voice of the Lord. "And He said, 'What hast thou done, The voice of thy brother's blood crieth unto me from the ground.'"

The tom-toms still beat heavily, the darkness still shuddered and shivered about me; I heard the yells of the devil-dancers and weird, wild shriek of the devil-possessed just outside the gate.

What does it matter, after all? It has gone on for years; it will go on for years. Why make such a fuss about it?

God forgive us! God arouse us! Shame us out of our callousness! Shame us out of our sin!

2009/7/18 17:37Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: Amy Carmicheal's Dream

Quote:
Then through the hymn came another sound like the pain of a million broken hearts wrung out in one full drop, one sob. And a horror of great darkness was upon me, for I knew what it was-the Cry of the Blood.

God forgive me.

2009/7/18 21:37Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Amy Carmicheal's Dream

Sobering.

Challenging.

This incident is so profound it has the power to convict a long time.

Too many of us simply do not have the proper concept of the awfulness of hell. This article will help to remedy this.

But the problem for us here in America is that most people know hell exists. But they will deliberately go their own way thinking that 'tomorrow' they just might surrender, never considering that today is yesterday's 'tomorrow'.

This gets to be so trying when these people include your own loved ones. A family that has been exposed to the gospel from infancy now are rejecting it. Not only teens but middle-aged adults. It is so grievous....

Thanks for sharing this, Greg.

ginnyrose

2009/7/19 22:16Profile
AdamPaul

Woodstock, GA

Re: Carmichael Dream

This dream is so convicting. God forgive me and deliver me from all fear. A proper burden for souls from God's grief and an understanding of hell really begins to chase that fear away.
1 John 4:18 "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out all fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love."

I need more of His perfect love in me. Thank you so much for sharing.

2012/3/27 20:07Profile
mama27

Re:

I was going to start a thread on dealing with the death of someone you know who does not know the Lord.....We learned last night that a former business partner of my husband's (and friend) died of a heart attack while undergoing chemotherapy...he was 59. I was so shocked....and asked my husband this morning if he had any indication that this man knew the Lord. He said that when he worked with him, he had talked with him about the Lord several times, but that the man made it clear that "you just didn't go there"....In fact there will be a memorial service this Saturday in which there will be no pastor...and my husband has been asked to pray, "because no one else will"....So I am feeling tortured in my heart that this man died without the Lord, and am thinking about hell....and his torment even after only 24 hours...and I can't stop thinking about it. And I know with some of my own family - there is just NOTHING you can do but pray, when they won't listen....

So I was going to post to see how people deal with this...I am so upset....

And then I read this post....and I can hardly stand it....

2012/3/27 22:52Profile
Trekker

northern USA

Re:

What then? Are we supposed to feel pity for every one who has gone to Hell? Doesn't the scripture say "For they are without excuse..."? And before you jump all over me, don't take this wrong; i DO pity lost souls and i DO have a very heavy burden for them; i'm NOT saying we shouldn't pity them or feel a burden for them. But this is too heavy for me and will drive me crazy if i continue in it...and it is too heavy for other sensitive people and grieving Christians. It is also confusing, for the very scripture i mentioned above says they are without excuse, etc. So, i am CONFUSED. And i feel so helpless. Please don't take this as an attack or complaint about the post. It's just that i think & pray about stuff like this on a regular basis and i feel so powerless. Maybe because i live in America, a country that has become so hardened and cold and so full of pride that their ears are stopped (the churches also!!)and all attempts to reach them are met with scorn.

Sidenote:
Interesting that in the dream the thing that the church people were spending their time on was not work, marriage, or anything of a serious nature but "making daisy chains" ...a totally worthless, meaningless activity....the pleasures of life.

2012/3/29 21:02Profile
mama27

Re:

I don't jump all over you Trekker....I was only sharing my heaviness...yes it IS too heavy.....I grieved more for our friend when I read in his obituary that he requested donations to the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals....seems sort of like "making daisy chains"...I am so burdened that I can almost not type this out....

I will say though that this man died on Monday. This is Thursday...I have done a lot of pondering....I think of one close friend that I have been praying for for years....this situation spurs me on more to ask the Lord for openings to talk with her about Jesus....it spurs me on to pray more....it spurs me on to evaluate my "daisy chain" activities in my own life.....and I pray that my burden doesn't lessen just b/c we all go back to "normal life" next week when the Memorial service is over....

And it puts me in a panic over my prodigals...my prodigals who were brought up on the Gospel and the Bible....they SURELY are without excuse.....:(

2012/3/29 22:19Profile
Trekker

northern USA

Re:

I was just responding to Greg the moderator's original post, in that the dream itself seems to suggest it is all on us and that we should feel sorry for all these hard hearted people who never seek God and don't want Christ and so on. And i have been feeling sorry for them for so long i'm growing tired of it. I've prayed for countless people and i've wasted much breathe with proud, stiffnecked people. Jesus didn't really waste too much time on Pharisees because of their pride. So my basic point in my last post was, 'Which is it? Are we spose to feel sorry for them or are they without excuse like the scripture says?' Cuz i am really tired of losing sleep over so many lost souls and i feel really overwhelmed by it.

2012/3/30 4:03Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

QUOTE:
"'Which is it? Are we spose to feel sorry for them or are they without excuse like the scripture says?' Cuz i am really tired of losing sleep over so many lost souls and i feel really overwhelmed by it."

Trekker, I can relate. And I can relate to Mama's anguish as well. The issue comes, "how do I relate Biblicaly?" Then this verse:

1John 5:16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.

Seems a bit hard-hearted, does it not? Yet, it is in the Holy Writ...so what is one to do?

Personally, I can get so bogged down worrying about the souls of our loved ones that it will kill my joy.

I have prayed the LORD would show me how he is working in the lives of my relatives. And He did. This demonstration was so awesome...and it was for people I do not remember praying for - it was for people that I had given up on! Just because we do not see it does not mean it is not happening. It does mean I need to demonstrate the love of Jesus in relating to them by being myself...I did not preach to them - I was just kind and took interest in them as a person. They knew where I stood in issues of life and if the conversation ever drifted that way, they knew what I would say, but it rarely did - likely did not want to be reminded.

Then you have this scripture: Hebrews 8:11 "And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest."

Where does this put us? Does it not teach us dependence on the Holy Spirit?

Mama, I trust your husband will be able to pray under the power of the Holy Spirit. My cousin's husband preached an evangelistic sermon at his father-in-law's funeral and there was a positive response...:-) And this response was from people that had been exposed to the Gospel from day 1, had rejected it and were now grandparents.

God bless.

2012/3/30 9:33Profile
rnieman

Re:

Greg, great post, very convicting... I echo what ginnyrose said about this being convicting for a long time.

The following verse has certainly helped me understand our Saviors Heart and has served to relieve the tension between grieving the lost and the lost being without excuse.

John 3:16-21

16“For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. 17“For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him. 18“He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19“This is the judgment, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the Light, for their deeds were evil. 20“For everyone who does evil hates the Light, and does not come to the Light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. 21“But he who practices the truth comes to the Light, so that his deeds may be manifested as having been wrought in God.”

Russ

2012/3/30 9:52Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy