SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : God and state seperate? No way!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread

Re:

ginny I'll jump in here on your post. I can't find the quote you are quoting to see who put it however I will ad a bit more.

I agree with what you have said ginny. Now I ask this.

What if a christian is in the governement. Can the christian now in the governement office legaly in sight of God execute wrath against evil?

2009/7/22 14:58
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

That quote I responded to was posted by Preach Parsley. His post is just above mine.

Quote:
What if a christian is in the government. Can the christian now in the government office legally in sight of God execute wrath against evil?

This is a logical question when one considers the topic and one that will certainly expose many opinions that are opposites.

I do not know whether one can be a Christian and be involved in law enforcement. I would hate to shot to kill knowing this person is not ready to meet the LORD. I could not talk rough to a person in order to get him or her to comply with my orders. This type of behaviours to me are not consistent with 1 Corinthians 13.

I can see where there are jobs in government which would not cause a Believer to compromise his faith, but politicians? I do not know.

Now, this will evoke another question: why then do you vote? Does it make sense to vote when you believe this? Not really...or is it like another said, "I do not approve of everything my elected official does." True.

Then the question comes, "if all would believe like you do who would do the policing?" My answer: if all would believe like I do, there would be no need for policemen! But that is a ridiculous question because the church will never be the majority of people in any community.

My answer? I would suggest you study Romans 13 and 1 Corinthians 13 and allow the Holy Spirit to teach you. He does a better job at this then me.

Does this make sense? What do you think?

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2009/7/22 15:35Profile

Re:

Yes the reason I asked this is for all of us to continue to sharpen our understanding on this.

A quick review of my progression through this subject. In 87 I got saved. I was in the Marines at the time, I also was a blackbelt in martial arts. the next 5 years or so I generaly believed that christians could be in military, Governement, martial arts etc. so long as they strove to follow Christ. I had asked about the turning the other cheek and live by sword die by sword and was given simple answers that satisfied me at the time. However I also was not totaly sure about the balance.

Then around 92 I was exposed to David Bercot book, Will the Real Heritecs Please stand Up. In that book he laid out his understanding of the early christian belief on this topic. He then reapplied the scriptures. I then felt the evidence and argument were very sound and changed my view. I adopted anabaptist/mennonite/early chistian beliefs concerning christians and Government.
This progressed and even though I had maybe a one percent doudt/ question about it I just resolved that this new view of non resistence and not particpating in government was best.

Then as the years progressed and other christians and radio programs etc spoke about past american christians as well as present being in military and government I was wrestling in my mind about it again. If they were christians either they were in rebellion to God and are possibly judged as murders etc and hellbound. Or maybe I need to adjust my view again.

I began to reread many things and pray and adjust my view again. Also after a 17 year break in service I re entered the military to go on two tours in Iraq to help out in the war on terror.

My current belief is that both approaches are biblical and acceptable. I would prefer to take the more non resistent path. However I am currently still in the military and acknowledge that christians are necessary to our government. I will say that great temptaions accompany doing this. It can be very hard to maintain the ways of Christ in the military and government etc.

2009/7/22 21:55
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

May I suggest you check out the thread "Let's Talk about peace" by Pastorfrin here on SI. He is now deceased but was also a Vietnam war veteran. He has a very sobering testimony. But let me warn you, the thread is very long.

Seems to me, brother, you must still have some doubts concerning your position or else you would not be asking these questions...

So long and it may be a while until I see y'all again. Will be gone for a few weeks...Lord willing..

God bless you, brother as you work through this issue..

ginnyrose

2009/7/22 23:15Profile

Re:

ginny i do not claim infalibility in this area. However I was asking the question more for you to examine your current position about christians being in governement and military. What is your current take on this??? If you believe that they should not are they then guilty in your eyes before God as murders and rebels against the Gospel??

As far as my position it is currently what it is. I give room for christians to be non resistent however the non resistent should give room to the christians who serve in Governement and military etc. as well. ( I edited this from "patriot" christian because I do think that non resistent christians can be patriotic as well.

2009/7/22 23:21

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy