SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : I need some advice!!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Greenlea

I need some advice!!

I have an eighteen year old daughter who is planning to go to college about an hour away from where we live. It is a four year state university. She is majoring in pre-med because she wants to be a doctor and always has since she was about nine or ten. She has now found out that she is assigned to a co-ed dorm although she applied early and requested a female only dorm.

She has a friend from high school that is going to room with her and they were both disappointed about the news. We spoke with the housing office and was told that there were no other rooms available and that she would have to wait until the spring for new room assignments.

Question: Would it be inappropriate for her to live in a co-ed dorm as a Christian young women. Should my husband and I try to intervene or decide about changing colleges?

Has anyone else dealt with this problem before?

Personally, I am having my doubts, but I don't want her to feel that we are forbidding her from attending a college of her choosing.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Dee

2009/7/18 2:36Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: I need some advice!!

Quote:
Question: Would it be inappropriate for her to live in a co-ed dorm as a Christian young women. Should my husband and I try to intervene or decide about changing colleges?

YES. YES.

I think you will need to check out your options and the main one is to get her out of that dorm. The temptations will be just to great for her to live there. And don't buy into the idealistic theory about being a witness in a hell hole like that! They are young with active hormones and it is your responcibility as a parent to protect her as much as possible.

No, we did not have to deal with this when our sons attended a state university. But things are changing.

Did you check out the possibility of her staying in an apartment with other like-minded students nearby? Or, how about buying a house and renting out rooms to other like-minded students?

In the meantime, pray.

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2009/7/18 3:56Profile
Lorijean

Austin, Texas

Re:

Amen, Ginnyrose.

I would rather have my son/daughter at a Christ-Centered college 10 hours away, than a secular university around the corner. A secular university has no regard for the Spiritual growth of young people, and that should be our main concern! :) Also, these next few years are when most young people choose their spouse. There are many reasons to prefer a Christian College.

You may want to pray about your daughter switching to Pensacola Christian College in the fall. It's not too late! My son will be attending there and majoring in Criminal Justice. We have friends that attended there and are now in the Secret Service. They do offer pre-med also. It's very, very affordable too! It's only about $7,000 per year including room and board.

We just came back from touring PCC and were very impressed with the academics, the pastor, his wife, the staff, standards, safety measures, etc. My son is very excited about attending and so are we. If you have any questions, I would be happy to help in any way I can. You could check out their website also.

I will be praying for you! :)

Lorijean

2009/7/18 7:05Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: I need some advice!!

Dee,

It's about too late to change universities at this date. If you feel a need, you can take a drive and go to the informational desk (or building) and ask about the location of their Christian organizations there (i.e. Baptist Union, etc). They all have some type of house for gatherings and prayer within a half mile (walking distance) of the university itself. Or you can call and get the same information. Visit the ones you want to and talk to the leaders there and share your dilemma. Ask where they live, [b]if they or any Christian students who have rented whole houses who might have a room available, etc.[/b]

I think you might be surprised and your daughter will be able to stay at the university she wants too.

Fear not, this has not taken God by surprise like it has you guys; He knew this would happen. Since He knows, He will either provide another place for her to stay or she will have to stay in the dorm. I would take comfort that if He knows, she will be a great light to those who need a light and salt!

I believe different than most on SI, I don't have a problem with secular colleges or universities; in fact they made my faith stronger! I believe we are salt to be shaken out. How can salt be salt if we are always around other salted people who doesn't need our salt? (i.e. Christian universities). We will lose our savor if we are never used and besides, that is our calling, to be shaken out; not to stay in hidden with all the salt shakers! But just so you know, that's just my two cents worth!

God bless you and I believe it's gonna work out! :):)

2009/7/18 11:20Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
I believe different than most on SI, I don't have a problem with secular colleges or universities; in fact they made my faith stronger!

I would guess this is not the norm. I have had too many female clients tell me they ditched their faith once they got to college. (Oh, what did these clients want? Pregnancy tests, and they were single...)

ginnyrose

2009/7/18 16:49Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:

I am living in a basement apartment that is in a house owned by St. Thomas University. It works great for me because its $250 per month, I have a separate entrance and my own cooking facilities and shower! But upstairs there is 1 women and 2 guys living in the home. I really see such immorality due to co-ed living situations. Young people have no idea how to handle this.

I would advise you "do not" let your child into that situation. Unfortunately "many" universities and colleges are co-ed now!

2009/7/18 16:52Profile

Re:

You really should put this before the LORD if you haven't already and really seek Him for the answers. Your going to get a variety of answers here, and it just may be that God would have her go to that college, who knows. As Parents you want the best for your children, but God's best maybe that college. God knows how to protect His children and she may be a light there, again, who knows.

I pray that the answer comes soon, as you wait on Him.

2009/7/18 20:19
Greenlea

Re: I Need Some Advice

Thank you everyone for your words of advice and encouragement. We had not yet decided on which way to go concerning this although we are praying fervently and waiting for the Lord's leading.

Please continue to pray for us and I will update you on what we were led to do.

2009/7/20 13:58Profile

Re: Unconscienable

Dear Sister:

It is unconscienable to give your daughter to the sodomites and God haters at the university you speak of.

For all of these years, your daughter has been under the covering and protection of your Husband. And now you are ready to send her to a godless colledge, full of godless young men and women who were not raised in a Christian home, who were not raised and taught under the authority of a Christian Father and Mother.

If it was me, I would find a 2 year community college for the first two years close to home, and let her continue to live at home, and attend there. Over the next 2 years I would be looking for a university that supported Christian values and beliefs for her to continue her education.

Paul Washer has a great mp3 sermon on this very issue. If I can find it, I will post it to this thread.

God bless,

Walter

Quote:

Greenlea wrote:
Thank you everyone for your words of advice and encouragement. We had not yet decided on which way to go concerning this although we are praying fervently and waiting for the Lord's leading.

Please continue to pray for us and I will update you on what we were led to do.

2009/7/21 10:49
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

Dear Walter,

That is excellent advice and well put. I agree 100%

white stone

2009/7/21 11:20Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy