SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Biblical Proof for Revival as we call it today.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Sarah4Him

Biblical Proof for Revival as we call it today.

Hi everyone,

I have been meditating on the topic of revival for some years now actually. I know of someone personally who calls himself a "revivalist" and yet that gifting is not actually in the bible.
Can someone give some scriptural backup for this position?

The other thing is, is there actual evidence in the bible for "revival" as we call it today?

I guess what really needs to be broached too is what do we actually say revival is? Is there biblical evidence for it?

thanks for any input,

God bless,
Sarah

:-)

2009/7/14 2:36Profile
roadsign

Re: Biblical Proof for Revival as we call it today.

Quote:
I know of someone personally who calls himself a "revivalist"

Sarah, I agree with you - that the word doesn’t exist in scripture. But we should keep in mind that many labels used today in church have changed their meanings from the ways intended in scripture.

Rather than try to figure out the term “revivalist”, why don’t you ask your friend to share his own faith journey, how God is working in his life, what God has taught him through the years, and how he thinks God may be leading him. Connect WITH the person and find out what he means, rather than try to figure him out from a distance.

Sometimes a few good questions help people process their own sense of calling. After all, it is easy to misunderstand God’s calling.

For example: As a teen I felt called to be a “missionary”. I was a missionary for a few years, and when that door closed on that season, I was devastated. Later I learned that my own understanding of “missionary” was heavily shaped by the way that word was used in church. God did call me, but as a youth and young adult, “missionary” was the only category available to me, and so I took the label on myself - though, God never gave the word directly to me. Nor did he have in his mind what I had my mind. It was a hard lesson to learn.

I think the term “revivalist” is prone to suffer from that same problem: It's meaning is shaped by trends - and so people misunderstand each other, and maybe God's too.

Diane

2009/7/14 10:51Profile
utilizer001

Oregon

I would suggest listening to the messages from the 2007 Revival conference put on by sermon index, the messages from the Prayer conference put on by HeartCry. In both conferences examples of revivals in the bible are given. I would try to explain, but the speakers have done a much better job than I could.

God Bless,
Jason

2009/7/14 12:45Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Quote:
Sarah4Him wrote:
I guess what really needs to be broached too is what do we actually say revival is? Is there biblical evidence for it?

Sarah,

If you can listen to this man tell what God has done in his life when he obeyed God! Personal revival!

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=10853&commentView=itemComments ]Revival Forum - George Middebrook [/url]

The revival in the town of Wales was gone after what? 20 years? I think that's what I read... not sure. Now, I'm sure there were people in Wales who revival never left them!

Joshua died and all his generation "and there arose another generation after them, which knew not the LORD" (Judges 2.8-10).

I think it's great if God (revival) falls on a town and everyone is changed, I would LOVE to experience that! But I'm wondering who gets changed when Jesus comes into a life (especially of someone who's been going to church for years?!!!) And they are changed! That would speak volumes to family, friends, and even enemies!!

I pray for revival in my own life first. If you can, please listen to George's testimony!!

God bless,

2009/7/14 19:07Profile
Sarah4Him

Re:

Thanks Lysa,

I have experienced personal revival in my own life. I will listen to Georges testimonial quickly. My experience with the topic of revival is that somehow a "thing" moves from house to house and town to town, randomly it seems and this is called revival somehow. But there is no scriptural evidence for this kind of revival actually.

God is not a "thing" and He doesn't move randomly actually.

God bless you all,
Sarah

2009/7/14 19:40Profile
Sarah4Him

Re:

Hi Jason,

thank you for your note, could you give me a link to the message you are referring to? thanks!

Sarah

:-)

2009/7/14 19:42Profile
Sarah4Him

Re:

Hi Diane,

I agree that the word is not in the bible. I am more referring to the doctrine of revival I guess.

God bless you,
Sarah

2009/7/14 19:43Profile
utilizer001

Oregon

Re:

Sermon index revival conference 2007:
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=720

HeartCry prayer conference 2006:
http://www.heartcrymissionary.com/resources/conference_messages
(nearly at the bottom under the title "Prayer")

I guess I could add Duncan Campbell's "Revival on the isle of Lewis" Most of Bill Mcleod's and Ralph Sutera right here on sermon index. The MP3 and video sections of this very website have been a huge blessing to many, including myself.

Jason

2009/7/14 22:14Profile
LoveHim

Indiana, US

[i]I guess what really needs to be broached too is what do we actually say revival is? Is there biblical evidence for it?[/i]

When I think of revival, my mind goes back to Kings or Choronicles when the Book of the Law was discovered and Josiah had all the people follow God and His law again. It's like when someone or some people cast off their wicked and profane practices and humbly submit to Christ, then their spirit is revived (made alive again) to the Lord and His ways.

That's just what I think of.
Phil

2009/7/14 22:31Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Sarah,

I do not have the time to share the references but there are several incidents of revivals occurring in the OT. The word 'revival' is not used but one reads of how people returned to the LORD. You will read a lot of it in the Chronicles and the Kings. Go read it yourself and you will be encouraged. Actually, these incidents will become more impressive if you understand the context in which they occurred. This understanding happens when you read the books, beginning with chapter 1 and just read and keep on going until you are done. But do compare the books with each other because there is overlap between the Kings and the Chronicles. One book will relate details the other one does not.

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2009/7/14 22:38Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy