SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : puritans and john owen

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
bible1985

puritans and john owen

Can anyone tell me anything about the puritans and this man john owen. I have heard very very good stuff already about the pssion of christ in him and the puritans, i have a book by him and it sounds very good from just reading it.

2009/7/12 16:26Profile

Re: puritans and john owen

John Owen, as do generally all of those that are now recognized as "Puritans", has some deeply profound writings. No student of historical Christianity can consider his studies complete until he's spent a great deal of time in the writings of the puritans. Many of them were Godly men who walked with Christ and were unspotted from the world, and won many souls to Christ. Modern Christianity has a lot to learn from the puritans. I don't agree with everything they say (they didn't always agree amongst each other either), but I do believe many of them have a lot of wisdom to share.

Ever wonder what Spurgeon's favorite writings were (outside the Bible)? -the Puritans. How about even modern day David Wilkerson (a Pentecostal preacher!). -Again, the Puritans. The list could go on and on.

If you're looking into studying the puritans, there is a great website: http://www.puritanlibrary.com/ -It has all the puritan writings you could possibly ever want.

A couple of my favorite puritans are John Bunyan (author of Pilgrim's Progress) and Jonathan Edwards. Bunyon is perhaps the most simple and easy-to-understand of the Puritans while perhaps Edwards could arguably be considered the most profound and more difficult to read. A couple more I would highly recommend to read are Thomas Brooks and Richard Baxter. Joseph Alleine also has a great book, "An Alarm to the Unconverted".

2009/7/12 19:12
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re: puritans and john owen

The Puritans held to reformed doctrine (i.e. the doctrines of grace) and were renowned for upholding the sovereignity of God, prayer, and fervent Bible study. They lived from the late 1500's through to the 18th and 19th century in England, Scotland, Wales. Some of them came over to America in the early 17th century, of which we get the stock of Jonathan Edwards, David Brainerd, Edward Payson, Increase Mather, Cotton Mather, John Winthorpe, J.J. Packer, A.W Pink etc. It is a fascinating journey to explore their sundry writings and sermons and discourses. It affords an entire treasure trove to keep you digging and gleaning your entire life.

John Owen has been called "the Prince of the Puritans" because of his both highly intelligent and scriptural polemical style of writing and for his amazing exegetical profundity. He's not easy to read; in fact, he's probably the most difficult Puritan to read on account of his wordiness and deep theological excursions. Because of this, he's not the best choice for an introduction to the Puritans (although the Puritan Paperback edition of "The Mortification of Sin" is very readable). Once you "warm up" to his terse style of writing, you can begin to approach the grand work he is really known for: "The Death of Death in the Death of Christ", a polemical masterpiece that succinctly defends the concept of limited atonement, and - as claimed by Calvinists - has never been satisfactorily refuted.

Which book do you have by him?

2009/7/12 23:03Profile
bible1985

Re:

triumph over temptation pursuing a life of purity.
Formerly titled Sin and Temptation The challenge of personal Godliness.It addresses the mortification of sin in believers, of temptation, and the nature, power, deceit, and prevalency of indwelling sin.
The book is by Victor Classics.

2009/7/13 0:25Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy