SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : about attending church

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
rainydaygirl

about attending church

Things have changed were I was attending church, several new pastors have come and they are now looking to pattern themselves after Saddleback church in California. I believe Rick Warren is the pastor there. This has been coming for awhile now. I know some about their teaching style but wonder what others here thought? IF this is the only church in the area to attend besides a Mormon, or Catholic church is it better to just stay with them and keep going or to not go at all? At this point both my husband and myself are not really sure what we should do. We don't agree with the growth stuff(wanting to attract big crowds), or the attitudes that sin is not a big deal. We have been praying about this for awhile now.

rdg

2009/7/9 11:02Profile

Re: about attending church

Dear rainydaygirl:

We live in Orange County California and have been to Warren’s Purpose Driven Church several times. No one brings a Bible because Rick teaches out of 4-5 versions with each sermon. Everyone just reads what is flashed on the wide screen Televisions. You will not be fed the Word of God at the purpose driven model.

Have you ever thought of opening up your home and having Church there? You can initially invite others from your neighborhood, and then, as you witness to those that the Lord puts in your path, invite new believers into your home Church, where they will actually be fed the Word of God, and equipped to become mature Saints. I really think that is the direction that we are headed in. First to the homes, and then underground as we get closer to the rapture.

God bless,

Walter

Quote:

rainydaygirl wrote:
Things have changed were I was attending church, several new pastors have come and they are now looking to pattern themselves after Saddleback church in California. I believe Rick Warren is the pastor there. This has been coming for awhile now. I know some about their teaching style but wonder what others here thought? IF this is the only church in the area to attend besides a Mormon, or Catholic church is it better to just stay with them and keep going or to not go at all? At this point both my husband and myself are not really sure what we should do. We don't agree with the growth stuff(wanting to attract big crowds), or the attitudes that sin is not a big deal. We have been praying about this for awhile now.

rdg

2009/7/9 11:28

Re:

Once you drop out of the American institutional church... you'll be set free, and you'll never go back.

Krispy

2009/7/9 13:32
robbyk

Madison, WI

Re:

Quote:

waltern wrote:

Have you ever thought of opening up your home and having Church there? You can initially invite others from your neighborhood, and then, as you witness to those that the Lord puts in your path, invite new believers into your home Church, where they will actually be fed the Word of God, and equipped to become mature Saints. I really think that is the direction that we are headed in. First to the homes, and then underground as we get closer to the rapture.

For years, we attended one of our city’s [Madison, WI] largest churches which recently disintegrated in controversies over willow creek, purpose driven models, charismatic vs not, etc. In fact it blew up several times over a couple of years. Eventually, my pastor who fervently preached the Bible was dismissed.

Most of the attendees have gone over to another giant seeker friendly church which caters to the youth and university crowd and has about 15 services, a mall, etc.

I followed my pastor and we have a fellowship. We met in his basement for the 1st year but have moved into larger quarters in a community center now and have about 25 or so people in attendance. We pack in the coffee, sound system and such every Sunday morning [It’s like being on the road again! I used to gig extensively]

I believe I am right where I should be and feel equipped to handle all that is coming.

As a side note, our community is truly a community like I have never experienced in church. I recently crushed my foot and have been unable to walk for a little over 5 months and it is my community who has come in and mowed my lawn, called often and prayed fervently, etc.

It’s wonderful

2009/7/9 13:42Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

KrispyKrittr wrote:

Quote:

Once you drop out of the American institutional church... you'll be set free, and you'll never go back.

Krispy

:-) 8-) :-)

2009/7/9 13:45Profile

Re:

That was a great testimony robbyk. it really blessed me. Thank you for sharing that.

2009/7/9 14:12

Re:

Some great replies, especially Krispy's and Robbyk's. There is something that is happening all over the world right now in Christendom. God is seperating HIs remnant people from the established church. He is driving them out by drought and famine. He is preparing His Bride for the return of the Bridegroom. Many are confused and lonely even within their mega churches as they see blidness all around them as to the state of the church and so on. People who have no idea what they are alking about when they talk about "knowing Jesus," olr His presence. You can read more about this remnant in the last four posts here ..... http://scottishwarriors.wordpress.com/

................Frank

2009/7/9 14:41
TracyInMD

Maryland, USA

Quote:
...is it better to just stay with them and keep going or to not go at all?

Hi RDG, I found this thought helpful with myself over the past few years. Church in Greek is [url=http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?strongs=G1577]"ekklesia"[/url], which if the two derivatives are dissected, this term means the assembly of those called out or summoned. When used in a spiritual sense, which we DO, it by very definition means the PEOPLE who are saved. If I'm wrong on that, someone pls correct me, cause i don't want to mislead. I know we've come to use it as something else (building), but I've come to believe we should not.

By not using it correctly, I believe we've come to love either the building or organizational chart way more than the people within. People accuse those who depart from the institutional church as being "cowboy Christians" (and perhaps some DO want independence), but I find that the majority of those who've left desire the interdependent church described in the Bible, the pillar and support of the truth, and not the so-called church that marginalizes the truth.

Cowboy Christianity is the norm with the Sunday churches, where people sit side by side with polite strangers, whose lives could be falling apart for all they know or care. Some will justify this unBiblical model with "there is no perfect church", but I've come to fully believe that the Biblical model is possible, even in our day. I even believe that God is gathering us up to make it so.

It happens that for personal reasons I'm currently attending a so-called church, but I eventually realized that the people there will NOT exhort me to follow God, but merely attend church. Therefore I started meeting w/ women outside of Sunday/Wednesday...not just ANY women and not to talk about crafts. We meet w/ a focus on God and His glory. I have a number of women like this to gain the fellowship I need, although it is still lacking because we are geographically dispersed. I truly believe if you pray, God will grant you others of like mind and devotion to Christ. It is His WILL that we gather according to His definition of gathering.

I'll pray for you, for it's my heart for those going through exactly this.

2009/7/9 14:43Profile
Lysa

East TN (for now)

rdg,

I'm going back to church this Sunday! I've been out for about three years. I believe the Lord leading me back. It's a small church and three of their people (two are my good friends) have been baptized in the Holy Spirit in the last month!!! Wow, that's more than any pentecostal church has seen, I'm thinking! This is a baptist belief church which makes this so awesome, the pastor is not closed to this at all. I don't know how long I'll be there, I don't know what He wants me to do but I'm learning I must obey because He doesn't let me stay in my comfort zone!!

I've also learning that [b]God does not see denominations, He sees those who have hungry hearts!![/b] While we are down here arguing over Calvin and Armininism (sp?), He just knows them as two men who loved him not the beliefs that divide churches.

Anyway, I'm excited! I wish you well in your journey.

2009/7/9 14:47Profile
JCGarc55

Re:

very interesting testimony. It is very similar to how our church came to be. We started at my friend's house(who is our pastor) doing bible study, and it grew over a year's time where we converted his garage into a sanctuary. The Lord opened a door in an incredible way where we now rent a building. There are many other churches that have similar stories. I attend home schooling conferences and have met others who are in the same situation. To make a long story short, i feel very blessed in the local body I worship with and it is such a blessing to look forward to going to our meetings whether it's prayer night, bible study, or Sunday worship.

2009/7/9 16:10Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy