SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Contemplative Spirituality & The New Conscience????

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Contemplative Spirituality & The New Conscience????

The EMERGENT (EMERGING) CHURCH IS ON THE MOVE, AND IN THE NEWS!

Will the "New Science" Prove that God is in All Things?

In a July 4th article in the San Antonio Express-News, it features Thomas Keating,[b]a Catholic monk who has been instrumental in bringing contemplative spirituality out of the monasteries to the layperson. In the article, Keating conveyed what contemplative mystics have been saying for centuries: mysticism is the common ground among all the world's religions.[/b]

[b][color=990000]This article illustrates why Lighthouse Trails is so concerned about the huge role contemplative spirituality is now playing in evangelical and Protestant churches. We believe that this will ultimately lead to what the Bible calls the mystery of iniquity (i.e., the occult: essentially the belief that man and God are identical). Thomas Merton, another Catholic contemplative monk, put it this way: "The contemplative experience is neither a union of separate identities nor a fusion of them; on the contrary, separate identities disappear in the All Who is God."1[/color][/b]

The San Antonio article, "Monk says contemplative prayer like 'resting in God'" talks about the relationship between science and religion, a topic that is slowly gaining momentum these days:

"Science is discovering the oneness of the source of all the material universe as we know it, and by the oneness that appears in all structural forms of life and then the oneness that the spiritual practice of contemplative prayer brings in recognizing our commonality, our common ground with all other human beings and indeed all of nature."

When the article says "the oneness of the source of all the material universe," it is referring to what some are calling the "new sciences" or the "spiritual sciences." This new science is hoping to convince society that every cell in the universe is connected to one another and that by practicing contemplative prayer (going into the silence) one will awaken to realize this universal oneness.

It is coincidental that this article comes out the same time Lighthouse Trails releases A "Wonderful" Deception by Warren Smith. Smith identifies the character of this "new science" in his new book. Smith asks what would rationalize Christian leaders to embrace a "new worldview that would mesh Christianity with the New Age/New Spirituality and other religions." He says the "answer might very well come through the 'new science' and the 'new math'--quantum physics, chaos theory, and fractal theory--the 'new science' attempt to scientifically prove that God is not only 'transcendent' but also 'immanent'--that God is 'in' everything (AWD, p. 165).

The San Antonio article says that science and religion "have been at one another's throats but that has begun to shift in the last generation or two." But it predicts that: "it should shift a lot more as one recognizes that science is speaking a language that is very similar to that of the mystical experiences of all the world religions, and mainly the sense of cosmic oneness and interaction and communication beyond space and time."

The world's mystics would resonate with this belief that mysticism is the commonality among all world religions. Even Tony Campolo suggested this in his book Speaking My Mind when he said "a theology of mysticism provides some hope for common ground between Christianity and Islam" (see pp. 149-150). And of course Thomas Merton often spoke of this common ground within all religious traditions. And as for New Agers, this is one of their core "values." In the New Age book, As Above, So Below, occultist Aldous Huxley is referenced regarding the "Perennial Wisdom" that believes that "the metaphysical (mysticism) unites all things together in all the world's religions" (pp. 2-3).

[b][color=990000]There is a reason why practicing mysticism gives this sense of unity within all religious traditions. It is because that place of silence or the mystical altered state is actually a realm of familiar spirits (Leviticus 19:31 KJV). The very fact that mysticism unites all religions is proof that mystical practices are not sanctioned by the God of the Bible, who has clearly stated that there is only one path to God (Jesus Christ) and that all the world's religions will never be united under this true God. Rather, every knee will bow and be brought under submission to the only true God and Savior, Jesus Christ. The gods of this world will never be one or in unity with the true God. When Henri Nouwen, at the end of a life of practicing mysticism said that he believed that Jesus wasn't the only way to God and that he felt it was his mission to help people find their own way to God, he was expressing the core perception of the mystical view.2 As Warren Smith points out in A "Wonderful" Deception, the rationale for this is stated by Nouwen when he said, "The God who dwells in our inner sanctuary is also the God who dwells in the inner sanctuary of each human being."

Some people may accuse Lighthouse Trails and those with similar concerns of being narrow and legalistic, but those who look at this rationally and straight on, if they are being honest, would have to see that there is a distinct opposition to these two views (preaching of the Cross versus God in everyone).[/color][/b] In Christianity, the message is believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shall be saved. Nouwen's view is God dwells in everybody's heart from the moment of birth just because they are human. If that is the case, why believe on the Lord Jesus Christ as Savior? That is why Nouwen (as are other contemplatives today) was so laxidasical about the Gospel. In other words, it made Nouwen uncomfortable. Of course, it made him uncomfortable--because it rejected what he believed about the human condition!

[b][color=990000]We believe this "shift" that the San Antonio article is talking about could be the very thing that Scripture warns against when it states: "Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils." (I Timothy 4:1) As the world "shifts" toward the common belief that humanity (and all creation) is united through a divine, cosmic, "scientific" energy that the new scientists will say exists in all things, and as much of Christianity heads that way too through the contemplative prayer practices, Bible-believing Christians must continue to warn their loved ones of this very real and fast-moving spiritual deception. [/color][/b]

For more information on this topic, read A "Wonderful" Deception by Warren Smith. To understand the contemplative prayer movement (i.e., spiritual formation), read A Time of Departing.

[url=http://campaign.constantcontact.com/render?v=001aqj1QInodGReu6BRjXCSn_Dy0GWMbWv41Dd2uat_7uv78I2Bk96tST8Z4Ac7ev09IamC_G5vvRe3S-w770V6ioOIc3WKs5tN0T60D4eoicf36Kcwmr5hgdW07K-jo3Dy80qmDbbDk7IvdSMPgfC1RK6hjweE6BGBhu98YViXr0cBhTgPUDzvGsNK3noP2krNwJsqOdfxYXkDQKP_pNOTFCq8DLqE59MWgS5o4oGV7sq1EofKKQHgmf_wyYOvVdg6QYJIXotziyCFcGqcRh_9IhJKtbYjJMj6KeK8nxyzXJdd7OrnVm3ekqrjHgy1NKtZcn2PUMv6reDxWiYRpQY-bw%3D%3D]Will The New Science PROVE that God is in all Things?[/url]

Sincerely,

Walter

2009/7/6 19:31
poet

Longview WA

Re: Contemplative Spirituality & The New Conscience????

A link to the article would be helpful, the timing is amazing, I just sent off an e-mail to
DR Earl Creps who is Assembly Of God Theological Seminary, who promotes books from Henry Nouwen and Leonard sweet and the likes. I asked him point blank about why he promotes these people and what he defines as contemplative, since even Wikipidia describes it like the above.
If I get an answer i'll possibly post it.
We are in a very dangerous time and Lines are being drawn even in supposedly fundamental churches.
We in our life time are probably going to see people who believe to be christians, be able to have mystical experiences believing them to be from God and at the same time true Christians percuted because were not buying into their program, they will think they are actually serving God while throwing us in jail or worse.

2009/7/7 0:58Profile

Re:

Hello, Poet

You stated:

Quote:
[b]A link to the article would be helpful[/b]

Please see attached link below:

[url=http://campaign.constantcontact.com/render?v=001aqj1QInodGReu6BRjXCSn_Dy0GWMbWv41Dd2uat_7uv78I2Bk96tST8Z4Ac7ev09IamC_G5vvRe3S-w770V6ioOIc3WKs5tN0T60D4eoicf36Kcwmr5hgdW07K-jo3Dy80qmDbbDk7IvdSMPgfC1RK6hjweE6BGBhu98YViXr0cBhTgPUDzvGsNK3noP2krNwJsqOdfxYXkDQKP_pNOTFCq8DLqE59MWgS5o4oGV7sq1EofKKQHgmf_wyYOvVdg6QYJIXotziyCFcGqcRh_9IhJKtbYjJMj6KeK8nxyzXJdd7OrnVm3ekqrjHgy1NKtZcn2PUMv6reDxWiYRpQY-bw%3D%3D]Will the New Science Prove that God is in all things?[/url]

Sincerely,

Walter

2009/7/7 1:16

waltern and poet, thanks to both of you for these posts. I'm watching a 1 Cor 14 church (yes, with problems in that format too), embrace all kinds of new age, seeker-sensitive, false doctrine, to the extent I wonder if the person leading has need of Gal 4:19. The word 'again' is appropriate.

2009/7/7 3:38
Axe1338

Miami, Fl

Re:

Thank you so much for posting this brother... I am actually preparing a message for Sunday on the Emergent church & other heretical movements in Christianity today...

2009/7/7 8:59Profile

Quote:
In Christianity, the message is believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shall be saved.

thats the first 'baby step' of the Message, the Gospel, there are many many 'steps' after that, including going from 'believing on' to 'following', from 'living for self', to 'dying to self' and be filled with Jesus and His Love, being His Hands on this earth binding the wounded.

i have grown very weary of those who come on this forum with 'agenda', and crys of how 'bad and backslidden' the CHURCH has become, grown weary of those in their religious pride and their agenda, who supplant the POWER of God in their opinions of those who are 'wolves' and 'apostates'. DO these men put themselves in the place of God? He Who is Master of the Universe cannot bring into the LIGHT, what must be exposed?

As if He needs man's help?

in fact i am of the conviction, firm conviction, that much of this 'discernment' palaber is really a sly scheme of the enemy to use well intentioned men, unwittingly, to foster his aim to discourage and divide the Body....to turn us against each other, and to cast doubt in our hearts, not only against other followers and lovers of Jesus Messiah, but also to constantly reiterate how 'bad', 'lukewarm' 'apostate' the Church, which is the BODY OF CHRIST has become.

and that is a LIE from the pit of hell, and anyone that forwards, promigulates that lie, should get on their faces, and have a meeting with God, beg forgiveness,REPENT and seek the Baptism of the Holy GHOST.

i pray you know i write this in the Love of Christ. neil

2009/7/7 9:02

pastor Axe

pastor, i feel the Lord leading to write this to you, and i beg your forgiveness for my audacity, fore that is the flock that the Lord Jesus has entrusted you with, but you wrote:

Quote:
Thank you so much for posting this brother... I am actually preparing a message for Sunday on the Emergent church & other heretical movements in Christianity today...

committ this to prayer please, but throw out your notes, forget your three point sermon, but go to the home depot and buy two black plastic paint basins, four plastic pitchers, some liquid soap, and a dozen towels, get on your knees, and wash the feet of your flock. the other basin is for the women. have your worship team play, 'softly and tenderly', while you wash feet.

truly i tell you, if you do this, THE SHEKINAH GLORY will fill your assembly, and the Holy SPIRIT will fill all yielded, hungry souls, just by one act of servanthood, a humbling act in the Love of Jesus.

but thats up to you, all i ask is to take my suggestion before the Throne, hear what GOD says.

neil

2009/7/7 9:25

The issue is, and must be that there are tares among the wheat. It always has been this way.

A little yeast spreads throughout the loaf, so it must be exposed, and rooted out of the dough, before it takes hold. Contemplative prayer is a pure and potent compound of the most poison yeast. It has it's roots in ancient Babylon, and for the open version, is most apparent in Hindi transcendentalism.

Since God is within, a staunch Hindu doctrine, the mind must be stilled. It is there that enlightenment is discovered, and the god within to reveal the god without. This is achieved through focus, guided imagery, and various forms of yoga to focus on the void, or the repetition of mantras, often associated with "BEAD COUNTING"; [ there-by the rosary ]. All monks in the eastern order of this occultic practice carry and count beads, as a tool, a vehicle to launch the mystic experience.

The veiled version would be found in Roman Catholicism, where in we find the mystics. These men and women were taught the same methods, only christianized; sanitized in religious lingo. It all evolves around the emptying of the mind, and there is real revelation and power in it. It is Satanic, and the fruit of the tree mat at first to be sweet and good, but it's core and seed is evil, and is not grown by the standard of all godly fruit; Faith!

All Christian prayer is aggressive, not passive. It is all by faith, believed and prayed outwardly, where Jesus sits at the right hand of the eternal Father, the Creator. "Our Father, who DWELLS IN HEAVEN!", not a secret place inside of you. He sits above, on a real throne, and it is here that He responds, and it is here that we cry. It is here, that faith is rewarded.

This wall of holy doctrine has been invaded, generally I believe, through sentiment. Experience trumps doctrine, and this doctrine of passive prayer and "transcending", traveling to a destination in God by the inner sanctum of the void within is EVIL, and unbiblical. It is Pagan, and must be exposed for what it is. An invasion! "An enemy has done this!"

Jesus' response in the parable of why the tares were ever there.

2009/7/7 9:34

brotherTom

again i must tell you that i write to you, humbly meekly, without diviseness, or argument, only to reason.

first, let me testify, i have no knowledge nor interest in hindu prayer practices, nor any knowledge of what the roman institution does with their "ordinances". (my prayer is that those who love Jesus, entrapped within the roman institution, find the gate and escape from this hell crafted institution)

so know that i, in my walk, give these practices no attention, nor credence. I feel ridiculous at having to "flash my credentials" to you, but this is the internet, and this is not the same as having a real discussion.

There were several things you wrote I would like to query you about:

Quote:
All Christian prayer is aggressive, not passive.

what do you mean?

you also wrote something I don't know if I agree with, simply because I can testify that, with all assurance and the Gift of Faith, that the Lord lives in me, the Comforter.

Quote:
"Our Father, who DWELLS IN HEAVEN!", not a secret place inside of you.

Here's one other statement I dont understand:
Quote:
This wall of holy doctrine has been invaded, generally I believe, through sentiment.

in humility I ask, what is a "wall of holy doctrine"?

As the Lord leads, a "wall" seems to hem one in, and even the very word , "doctrine" is laden with the fleshly opinions of man, who sometimes seem to relish arguing over minute points of "doctrine", instead of venturing forth OUT of the "walls of doctrine", and reflecting the Love of Messiah to a dying world.

just one other question, forgive me,
Quote:
Experience trumps doctrine,

What do you mean?

As I read the Word, ordinary men and women have many expirences with God, Thank Him for even deigning to "be with us"! I'be been led back to the Begininng of the Word, and I was just reading Abraham's encounter with the "Three"...what an expierence!!!...and God is the same yesterday, today and forever, so, why can't you or be so blessed? Imagine, Abraham got to speak with Jesus, Chapter 18, Genesis! Of course, it wasnt the "happiest of times", as Abraham was besseching God to spare Sodom if 10 righteous men could be found, etc.

Just some quiet questions to you brother, asked in the love of Christ, neil

2009/7/7 10:33

Re: Solo Scriptura

To Natan4Jesus:

Last night, from 10:00 P.M. to 11:00 P.M. I watched a show entitled [b]Welcome Home[/b] on the ETWN Network (Eternal Word Network). This show is all about Protestants who have “come home” to Catholicism.[b] [color=990000]This is a major ministry of the Catholic Church in these end times, and MILLIONS of Protestants are becoming Catholics.[/color][/b]

Of great interest to me was the reason why the guest Protestant had come “home” to Catholicism. He supposedly believed in “Solo Scriptura” when he was a Protestant in the Presbyterian Church. But felt that something was lacking, and started asking a Catholic Priest questions about the Catholic experience.[b] He was drawn to the Catholic Church for one reason only- he wanted to be “one” with God. He wanted to have an experiential relationship with God (He did not mention Jesus, just God)[/b]The Scripture he quoted, to prove that the Protestants are missing out was:

(1 Cor 13: 12-13)
12. For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. 13. And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

He feels that though the Catholic Eucharist, as well as the Sacraments & Contemplative Prayer, as well as the Confession of sin to a Caholic "Priest", has brought him so close to God,[b] that he is NOW ONE WITH GOD.[/b]

[b][color=990000]The problem is that he is totally incorrect about the meaning of the scripture that he quoted. If he would have looked at the entire reference, it is all about the resurrection of the Saints. Only at the rapture/resurrection will the Church be like Christ, and we will be able to see Him as He is, because we will be like Him. Now, in our earthly bodies, of flesh and blood, we see through the glass darkly. When we have our new resurrected bodies of flesh and bone, like Christ’s (Luke 24:39), will we truly be like Him.[/color][/b]

9. For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
10. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. 11. When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
12. For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
13. And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

[b]The time that we now live in is truly the age of deceit. We have spent many, many weeks looking for a Bible Believing Church. We live in Orange County, in Southern California and have found only two such Churches that truly hold to Solo Scriptura, and both teach Bible Doctrine, and both are Conservative Baptist Churches.[/b]

Sincerley,

Walter

2009/7/7 12:09

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy