SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Recognizing False Humility

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
makrothumia

Texas

Recognizing False Humility

There is a false humility far too common among those named christians. This false humility is often heard in this type of false confession:
"I sin every day in thought, word, and deed."

Beware of this pseudo humility!

True humility can only be seen in the one who knew it to its fullest depth and could say, "Learn of Me for I am meek and lowly of heart."

What did His humility look like?

"...and being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and BECAME OBEDIENT UNTO DEATH!"

This is the picture of TRUE humility - Obedience unto death.

2009/7/6 12:10Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re: Recognizing False Humility

Quote:

makrothumia wrote:
There is a false humility far too common among those named christians. This false humility is often heard in this type of false confession:
"I sin every day in thought, word, and deed."

Beware of this pseudo humility!

True humility can only be seen in the one who knew it to its fullest depth and could say, "Learn of Me for I am meek and lowly of heart."

What did His humility look like?

"...and being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and BECAME OBEDIENT UNTO DEATH!"

This is the picture of TRUE humility - Obedience unto death.

there is nothing humble about sin, except God may allow a proud person to "fall" into it so he can in the end become humble, and not proud. But i certainly agree, true humility we find in Jesus, and he never said he sinned :-) but on the other hand, the humbler we will be, the greater sinner we will se ourselves as, not that we sin more.... but we become less and he greater.

2009/7/6 12:18Profile
makrothumia

Texas

Re:

Perhaps, but are you really sure?

I believe that the scripture says that by "beholding as in a mirror the glory of God, we will be transformed into the SAME image."

I don't see how that will cause us to see ourselves as EVEN MORE SINFUL.

Just a thought.

2009/7/6 12:23Profile
makrothumia

Texas

Re:

Allow me to explain a bit further.

Jesus' humility did not come from any consciousness of sin - simply from the consciousness that apart from His Father, He could do nothing.

True Humility in a redeemed saint, a new creature in Christ, need not come from consciousness of sin either. Rather, it comes from the increased awareness that within ourselves no goodness or righteousness originates. We become aware through the mind of Christ that "apart from Him we can do nothing."

As we receive the mind of Christ, we begin to see that all things are FROM Him, THROUGH Him, and UNTO Him. This awareness is what produces both Righteousness and Humility simultaneously.

We, the redeemed, being transformed into His image and likeness as new creatures are thus enabled to have our consciences cleansed from sin and still be becoming the righteousness of God in Christ.

The Law produces the full knowledge of SIN, but the New and Living Way opened to us through Christ's body so thoroughly cleanses our consciences of sin that we can approach the throne of grace boldly - knowing that it is from this throne where Christ is seated at the Father's right hand that all of the righteousness and goodness being worked in us IS OF GOD! This is the true new covenant humility.

2009/7/6 12:39Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

well i was thinking of apostle pauls example, he wrote i am the least of all apostles, later he said the least of all saints, and in the end of his life he wrote i am the chief of sinners.... seems to be a pattern there, and certainly i believe he did not sin more and more, rather the opposite becoming more holy....

2009/7/6 13:13Profile
makrothumia

Texas

Re:

I do understand your thoughts, but I would encourage you to reconsider Paul's true last statements of his end, rather than his testimony of his beginning. What I mean by that is this:
Paul was simply reminding Timothy that Christ came to save sinners and so he uses a historical present for emphasis - "of whom I am chief." Chief actually comes from the Greek word "protos", which means first in rank, or importance. When Paul was actually persecuting the church, throwing saints in prison, forcing them to blaspheme, he was the "chief of sinners." He was actually persecuting Christ Himself - certainly in this state he was "the chief of sinners."
Here in his letter to Timothy, he reaches back to his own personal testimony and remembers vividly that He is "the chief of sinners."
Many have taken his words out of context and have turned them into the pseudo-humility that I am simply trying to alert believers to.

His actual descripition of his true end condition is stated this way. "I have fought the good faith, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that day, and not only to me, but to all who have loved His appearing."

This is the true statement of how Paul himself viewed his end condition.

2009/7/6 14:37Profile
makrothumia

Texas

Re:

OOOPS! "I have fought the good FIGHT!" :-)

2009/7/6 14:39Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy