Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Man Have I Got Problems by David Wilkerson

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Gideons

Virginia

Man Have I Got Problems by David Wilkerson

I found this wonderful book on Amazon.com as a used book and had to have it. I read it this evening and will likely reread it a time or two. It was written in 1969.

Brother Dave has such a heart for the broken, the troubled, those who don't have it all together. It's pretty amazing, nearly 35 years later his focus is the same, which is surrender to Christ, death to self, and power through the blood of Jesus.

Here's a quote in the book from Hudson Taylor regarding temptation that I pray would encourage someone. "I cannot tell you how I am buffeted sometimes by temptations, I never knew how bad a heart I have. ...my mind has been greatly exercised for six or eight months past, feeling the need personally and for our Mission of more holiness, life, power in our souls... I felt the ingratitude, the danger, the sin of not living nearer to God. I prayed, agonized, fasted, strove, made resolutions, read the Word more diligently, sought more time for meditation-but all with avail. Every day, almost every hour, the consciousness of sin oppressed me.

I knew that if only I could abide in Christ all would be well, but I could not. I would begin the day with prayer, determined not to take my eye off Him for a moment, but pressure of duties, sometimes very trying, and constant interruptions... caused me to forget Him...At the end of the day my catalogue of sin would increase." (end of Hudson Taylor's quotes)

Brother Dave goes on himself to say regarding temptation that "Perhaps you thought only immature Christians faced these battles. My friend, you are immature if you have NOT faced them. If you are walking with God, the enemy of your soul will try everything in the book to trip you and trap you."

He goes on to say that "ALL OUR POWER OVER SIN DEPENDS ENTIRELY ON OUR FAITH IN HIS PROMISE TO LIVE HIS LIFE THROUGH US." (no additional emphasis added) Using John 15 as a reference he adds "You do not STRIVE for faith to overcome sin; you simply rest and have confidence in the Faithful One. THE BRANCH OF A TREE DOESN'T DO ANYTHING BUT STAY ON THE TREE."

Amen to that. God is blowing these words as a trumpet to my ear. Praise the Lord!

2004/9/3 22:40Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Man Have I Got Problems by David Wilkerson

This is great Ed,
The comments from Hudson Taylor are quite an encouragement to me. This great saint...with these kind of struggles? My, he's so [i]human[/i]!

Wonder if anyone out there knows where these were derived from?

Quote:
Brother Dave goes on himself to say regarding temptation that "Perhaps you thought only immature Christians faced these battles. My friend, you are immature if you have NOT faced them. If you are walking with God, the enemy of your soul will try everything in the book to trip you and trap you."

Great quote, reminded of Leonard Ravenhill's "[i]are you known in hell[/i]?"

2004/9/4 9:41Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy