SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : THE CONSISTENT CHRISTIAN ~ A Handbook for Christian Living

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
hmmhmm

Sweden

THE CONSISTENT CHRISTIAN ~ A Handbook for Christian Living

this following is an excerpt from a most excellent book, i am not finished reading it, but it would easily qualify in my "top ten" ever read.

here is link to the full book [url=http://gracegems.org/B/consistent_christian.htm]The consistent Christian by William Secker[/url]

To be more employed in searching his own heart — than he is in censuring other men’s states.

Those bishops are too busily employed — who lord it over another man’s diocese. "Be diligent to know the state of your flocks, and look well to your herds." It is a matter of greater importance, to know the state of our hearts — than the state of our flocks.

Censorious men commonly take up magnifying glasses — to look at other people’s imperfections; and diminishing glasses — to look at their own enormities.

Plato was entertaining a few friends at an elegantly spread table, and Diogenes, a famous cynic philosopher came in, and at the same time, trampled upon the table saying, "I trample upon the pride of Plato!" To whom Plato immediately replied, "Yes, but by the greater pride in Diogenes!"

They are the first to find fault — in whom there is much fault to be found. "You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye — and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye." He who blows into a heap of dust — is in danger of putting out his own eyes.

"What makes you better than anyone else?" Reader, are there not the same lusts lodging in your heart — which are reigning in other men’s lives? The reason why there is so little self-condemnation, is because there is so little self-examination. For lack of this, many people are like travelers, skilled in other countries — but ignorant of their own.

It is an evidence that those tradesmen are bankrupt in their estates — who are afraid to look into their books. Likewise, it is plain that there is something wrong within, among all those who are afraid to look within. The trial of ourselves — is the ready road to the knowledge of ourselves. He who buys a jewel in a box, deserves to be deceived with a fake stone.

Reader, would you see God? then cast your eyes upwards; would you see yourself? then cast your eyes inward. Contemplation is a magnifying glass to see our Savior in — but examination is a looking-glass to view ourselves in. Are we then in the narrow way which leads to life — or in the broad way which leads to death? Are we Christ’s bride — or Satan’s harlots? Are our hearts chairs for vice to sit on — or thrones for grace to rule in?

Nero thought no person chaste — because he was so unchaste himself. Such as are troubled with the jaundice — see all things yellow. Those who are most pious — are least censorious. "Who are you that judges another man’s servant?" Those who are fellow creatures with men — should not be fellow judges with God. Reader, why will you probe another man’s wound — while your own is festering? Take heed that your own vesture is not full of dirt — when you are brushing the dust off your neighbor. Complain not of dirty streets — when heaps of rubbish lie at your own doors! Many people are not happy — unless they are poking their fingers into another’s sores. Such are no better in their conduct than crows — which prey only upon carrion. "But let every man prove his own work — and then shall he have rejoicing in himself alone, and not in another."

For lack of self-examination, men have their accounts to cast up — when they should have them to deliver up. They have their evidences of grace to seek — when they should have them to show. They lie down with such hopes in their beds of rest — with which they dare not lie down in their bed of dust. Conversion begins in consideration. The hasty shower falls fastest — but the soft snow sinks the deepest.

As that mariner who is inattentive to his helm, is in danger of wrecking his vessel — so he who knows not himself, is likely to lose himself. "Examine yourselves — to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves." If your heart is not the cabinet of such a jewel — your head will never be graced with a diadem in glory. If you must needs be a judge — then pray sit upon your own bench. I shall ever esteem such to be but religious lepers — who care not for Scripture looking-glasses. He who never cries out, "Woe is me — for I am undone!" will never hear Christ’s "Go in peace." Self-examination, is the beaten path to perfection; it is like fire — which not only tries the gold — but purifies it also.

The heathen tell us, that "Know yourself" was an oracle which came down from Heaven. It is this oracle, which will lead us up to the God of Heaven. The sight of yourself in grace — will bring you to the sight of God in glory! The plague of the body is not every man’s plague — but the plague of the soul is. If the plague of the soul were known more — the plague of the body would be feared less. Though there may be a more pleasant sight — yet there is not a more profitable sight. Until you know how deep the pit is, into which you are fallen — you will never properly praise that hand which raises you out of it.

The bottom of our diseases — lies in not searching our diseases, to the bottom. So we put on some filthy rags to cover our nakedness — and we then wickedly despise the Savior’s righteousness.

"He who trusts his own heart is a fool!" And yet such fools are we — as to trust our own hearts! The Lord searches all hearts by His omniscient eye; but He searches His people’s hearts by the eye of His mercy. If a man would know whether the sun shines — it is better to view its beams on the pavement, than its body in the sky. The readiest way to know whether you are in Christ — is to know whether Christ is in you. For the fruit on the tree, is more visible than the root of the tree.

2009/7/4 8:51Profile
pernvic

Re: THE CONSISTENT CHRISTIAN ~ A Handbook for Christian Living

I copied the book and will have it printed at staples. It looks excellent !
Thank you
Vyki

2009/7/4 12:14Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Censorious men commonly take up magnifying glasses — to look at other people’s imperfections; and diminishing glasses — to look at their own enormities.

2010/11/20 14:52Profile
Joyful_Heart

Re:

Thank you for this and for this site. I have already listened to one of his short messages and am blessed. I need all the help I can get to keep me on the straight and narrow. Glory to God.

2010/11/21 13:40Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

"The plague of the body is not every man’s plague — but the plague of the soul is. If the plague of the soul were known more — the plague of the body would be feared less."

2010/11/21 15:43Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy