SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Meritocracy... scriptural?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Meritocracy... scriptural?

I was thinking about something today, to do with monarchy, and the question came to mind as to whether the concept of a [b]meritocracy[/b] has any biblical basis whatever. I suspect not.

It seems [u]merit[/u]ocracy, throws up a different set of parameters, from those in previous discussions here about whether democracy is healthy, and whether theocracy is possible.

Your thoughts please? Thank you in advance.

2009/6/26 13:37
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: Meritocracy... scriptural?

From the Biblical perspective; the Only One who
is Chosen, Holy, and Worthy is Christ!! As you
know, we have no merit on which to claim salvation.
All our righteousness is as filthy rags in the eyes
of the Holy, Just GOD.

Democracy is a noble concept and idea; and we have
been trying rather unsucessfully for over 200 year
to put it into practice.

Theocracy is government by the rule of GOD. For this to be possible; all of us would have to agree
to be ruled by GOD.

2009/6/26 16:08Profile

Quote:
Democracy is a noble concept and idea; and we have been trying rather unsucessfully for over 200 year to put it into practice.

Hi sojourner7,

Democracy worries me. What if 'the people' want amorality?

2009/6/26 17:34
jsisrl

Re:

Alive,

Then God will give them what they want and they will perish. He's going to let The Whore fill her cup so that He can then Fully pour out His Wrath to her.

Just like the quail God gave Israel in the wilderness.

------------
a⋅mor⋅al [ey-mawr-uhl, a-mawr-, ey-mor-, a-mor-] Show IPA
–adjective 1. not involving questions of right or wrong; without moral quality; neither moral nor immoral.
2. having no moral standards, restraints, or principles; unaware of or indifferent to questions of right or wrong: a completely amoral person.

2009/6/26 18:07Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re:

Theocracy worries me even more. Countries under
Muslim law {sharia} profess to be theocracy.
The penalties for breaking or violating sharia
law are most severe!!

2009/6/26 18:15Profile
jsisrl

Re:

sojourner7 it should.

No real Christian wouldn't like ~the world and our wordly Gov't.~ trying to work The Word of God, we have some things right in our Constitution but as we all know the world can't even get that right.

2009/6/26 18:33Profile

Hi sojourner,

Quote:
Theocracy worries me even more.

I don't think of the god of Islam, as 'God', but as a false god.

Apparently there is a prominent mosque in the middle east which bears the inscription 'God has no son. God has no need of a son'. This tells me the god of Islam is not the same as the God who sent His Son for our salvation.

When I used the term 'theocracy', in my own mind, I was excluding all other gods except the True and Living God whom we worship.

I see what you're saying though - that to worshippers of other gods, whose national religion, culture and politics stand on the assumptions that 'we' (they) all believe the same thing and worship the same god - that would be a 'theocracy'. You're probably using the term more correctly than I was!

2009/6/27 3:33

Hi jsisrl,

Quote:
The Word of God

There have been some good things about trying to base laws on truths in God's word, but the tendancy of unregenerate man to be legalistic, coupled with another cohort of unregenerate men's rejection of God, has led to the current state of lawmaking.

However, there was a time when Courts gave recognition to repentance and faith in Christ, and this would give a man a second chance - perhaps a reprieve from hanging - and that was highly commendable - especially for the man who had genuinely repented of his crime.

Personally, I'm all for that kind of 'justice'. I believe God loves to see man being merciful to man.

2009/6/27 3:39

Okay, let's put this thread to bed!

Meritocracy is anything but scriptural.

The favour of God and its extent towards us, depends entirely on who our 'father' is. That's the link with monarchy, and that's why families naturally don't operate by meritocracy, but by the status conferred through birth.

Adoption, therefore, is very special, and we should treasure our adoption into God's family. It depends solely on the efficacy of His actions, and His gift of faith to us when we hear His word and recognise it.

This is an important part of what it means to be a father, as earthly fathers know. But so, what it means to be an [i][b]obedient[/i][/b] son, is...

the cross.

By this, we attain to the sonship which entitles us to the authority of ...

'the Son'.

2009/6/29 6:42

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy