SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : should christians watch t.v

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Good post, OLd Joe..

Quote:
We are all using the Internet and it's a form of television if not worse because you can readily get the sex sites easily.

If this is happening to you, it is your own fault! You can get filters that will filter out this stuff. I had computer experts tell me that if your computer never accesses this filth, it will not be there, either. It is all up to the fingers that do what the brain tells them to do...

There is so much wonderful stuff on the web, so much I will never live long enough to access it all. It is like living in a huge library with wonderful info all at our fingertips. Never heard the idiot box having this capability.

ginnyrose

2009/6/25 18:15Profile

Re:

Old Joe, my post was not meant for you. So chill out and dissect someone else's post with smart remarks like you did mine, and then pat yourself on the back for a good deed done.

2009/6/25 21:12

Re:

Quote:
If this is happening to you, it is your own fault!

um.....I didn't mention that I did in my post.

2009/6/25 21:15
MikeMcK

Re:

There are two key principles that I’ve taught my children to follow when evaluating things like music and television.

The first is that the Bible describes the fruit of the Holy Spirit as “love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness and temperance”. Does this describe the music you’re listening to or the show you're watching? Does the music or TV show encourage or discourage these qualities in you?

The second is that Philippians 4:8 tells us “Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.” Is the music just? Is it honest? Is it pure? Is it lovely? Is it of good report? Is it virtuous?

I can't say that one should or shouldn't have a TV. The Bible is silent on that and far be it from me to speak where the Bible is silent.

That having been said, we haven't had a TV for several years.

The closest we come (other than copying educational shows) is showing movies via PowerPoint on an old bedsheet we hang up between two trees (or in the barn when it gets cold).

We started having our children right around the same time they came out with the cable boxes where you can block out channels and specific shows, back in the early 90's.

When we started having children, we became increasingly sensitive to what we were allowing in our home through the TV and the very first thing we did was to block MTV. As other channels got worse and worse, and some shows really started going on the deep end, we realized that we had to block so much that it really wasn't even worth it to have a TV in the first place.

I guess 2006 was when the straw finally broke the camel's back. A friend, knowing that my son and I liked sci-fi shows, recommended a British show called "Torchwood".

We watched about ten minutes of the show before my thirteen year old son turned to me and said, "Dad, this show is glorifying things we shouldn't be watching". I immediately knew he was right and that was all she wrote for the TV.

One of the really interesting things that I noticed right away was the change in my kids. My kids, who were already terrific, begin to be much more calm, less hyper active, their studies improved, etc. And while they were always polite and respectful, I noticed a new sense of maturity and thoughtfulness about them.

Some of you who have posted with me on other boards know that my family hosts at risk children on our farm from time to time. When children first arrive, they're horrified to find that we have no TV. By the time they leave, they're completely different children. Mostly, I hope, because we've communicated the love of Christ and the Gospel of Salvation to them, but also in the way that the hold TV has on them has been broken.

2009/6/27 19:25Profile
repentcanada

Re:

LOL DeepThinker it is pretty ironic the things you have written when your linking up to a "Christian" TV program/show/website

2009/6/29 21:49Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Just a thought (since we have had this discussion on SermonIndex MANY times over the past few years), but it is interesting that Leonard Ravenhill owned a television set. In fact, he discussed (in his [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=1702]last interview[/url]) a spiritual revelation that he came to after having watched a TV program about how giraffes are born.

I understand what people are trying to say about the television. It is often a "moron box" -- and worse. Through it, all sorts of evil can enter the home. Many (if not most) television shows and commercials are filled with everything mentioned in Revelation 22:15 (amongst other places).

However, we must remember that it is just a box. It is just a device that is filled with wires, plastic, circuits and other electrical/mechanical paraphernalia. In many ways, it is a lot like a radio...or a computer. The vast majority of websites are hideous portals of sin. However, there are a handful that are very useful (and dare I say it?) spiritually helpful. Is a computer "evil" merely because so many use it for such?

This website (along with many others) proves that a computer -- and even the internet -- can be used for good. It can be used for education, scripture, study and encouragement. It can be used to communicate (like a telephone or email). However, like the television, it can also be used for sin. Chief amongst these temptations for believers is the ability for both the television and computer to be used as a time waster (when we are supposed to "redeem the time"). Likewise, a stereo has been used to provide teaching, encouragement and instruction to people who don't get out very much (via Christian CDs, music and teaching).

Many "holiness" folk are quick to point the finger at the television...and rightfully so. There has been so much wrong that has come out of a television! Yet, many good Christian people have been unable to separate the device itself from what was coming through the device. There has been good come out of a television.

Should a believer get rid of a television?

This is entirely up to the believer. If a person cannot help but use their television device for all of the wrong reasons, then they should probably throw the thing out. If they are tempted to sin by the TV shows and commercials that they watch or through general time-wasting...then it isn't wise to have one sitting in the house. If they aren't strong enough to instruct their children in this matter (...along with instructing them about the radio, stereo, computer and even cell phone), then they probably should get rid of it.

However, this might not be true of all of us. Some people, like Leonard Ravenhill, might actually feel some sort of liberty regarding the thing. I do think that it is unwise to just send out a blanket "[i]God told me[/i]..." answer and believe that it is applicable (in full context) to every believer. Personally, I believe that some good can come out of a television device, a computer, a radio and a CD player. It is up to me to make sure that my wife and I are using it (with a clear conscience before God) for good...and not for evil.

:-)

2009/6/30 2:17Profile
jsisrl

Re:

Old Joe, my post was not meant for you. So chill out and dissect someone else's post with smart remarks like you did mine, and then pat yourself on the back for a good deed done.

Deepthinker,

How Old Joe is taking you is how my sister is taking me when I come to warn her of wolves. And you were just speaking about a television.

They believe we are bringing in the fight with our words, but it's really them with their rebellious to 'hear and see'. And behind it all, to bring accusations to the brethren, is nothing but what the demons are tying to set up so that we would fight back with them.

Case in point: I have not called my sister yelling at her or through e-mail yelling at her of why she believed she needed to add 'daddy' in the picture. Nope, I have never done that to her and she has accused me before my father many many times, she has not learned but for following that wolf I had told her last week to 'repent' because of the Love of God which constrains believers.

2009/6/30 13:54Profile
jsisrl

Re:

_________Quote from Mike:
We watched about ten minutes of the show before my thirteen year old son turned to me and said, "Dad, this show is glorifying things we shouldn't be watching". I immediately knew he was right and that was all she wrote for the TV.

One of the really interesting things that I noticed right away was the change in my kids. My kids, who were already terrific, begin to be much more calm, less hyper active, their studies improved, etc. And while they were always polite and respectful, I noticed a new sense of maturity and thoughtfulness about them.

Some of you who have posted with me on other boards know that my family hosts at risk children on our farm from time to time. When children first arrive, they're horrified to find that we have no TV. By the time they leave, they're completely different children. Mostly, I hope, because we've communicated the love of Christ and the Gospel of Salvation to them, but also in the way that the hold TV has on them has been broken.

May God richly bless you Mike.

My young son, at the age of 2 1/2 years old, after receiving his own Revelation by God about how God made his nose, his feet, me, everything etc. I had the t.v. on but we were not watching it I merely just had it on and at one point he pointed to it saying to me, "oh mama that's bad we need to turn that off" I then looked at the commercial and said, "your right Alan" and turned the tv off. From the mouths of babe's God has perfected Praise unto Him alone! PRAISE GOD!!

And thank you again Mike for your post and God bless the good work you do in Jesus Name. Praise God!!!

To all here: We have not gotten rid of our t.v. but we turn the t.v. off when the commercial's come on or we turn it on an alternative channel like the science channel when it's not spreading down right heresy on it. But I have told my husband that we are addicted to the t.v. (and no I have not even turned on the t.v. today - I do that a lot being home all day) and we need to ask God to deliver us from the spirit that is causing the addition. My husband agrees, we just can not do this in our flesh if we do we will do what Deepthinker said - once we get rid of the tv we will go out and buy another one. But if God delivers us from tv and even the computer (and even christian forums etc.) we will be delivered. I can see that Mike and his family have BEEN DELIVERED fully. PRAISE GOD!!! I hope to be there soon as God DOES IT through His Spirit and not us putting our hands to it - we'll only corrupt things if we do. So in the meantime, we hope, and turn off the tv during commuerical's or switch it to an alternative station while the commercial's are running - they mostly all put men down any way - they hate men in general because they are the head of the family.

God bless you all.

2009/6/30 14:06Profile

Re:

Quote:
LOL DeepThinker it is pretty ironic the things you have written when your linking up to a "Christian" TV program/show/website

cbn.com is a good site. I like the news and the stories of real life testimonies. And the great part of it is that I have the liberty to watch those programs without condemnation. I own a television, but it's not hooked up to the cable network, I've had cable before but I don't like the programming. I like to watch a good movie now and then, but the commercials have too many sexual/homosexual/connotations which I simply do not care to put myself through. But one is free to whatever they want to do, but if your conscience is bothering you about stop watching it.

The more I grow closer to the LORD the less of influence the media has on me. Instead of me getting rid of these influences I find that God who is in me causing me to take things to the curb. I remember that I had a box of religious books, I remember sitting in the middle of my apartment wondering what to do with these and the LORD spoke very clearly, "get rid of them". Without knowing what I was doing, they went to the curb.

I remember sitting in front of the gambling machine putting my weeks wage in that thing, and crying out to God to save me, He instantly took the desire away, the very next day the desire for that was gone I have never touched it since. When the Holy Spirit does the work and we respond to Him that is when things in your life really stick. But if we are "trying" to follow some rule that man has laid down as "holiness" we'll only end up like the Pharisees, empty and void. God has plenty of experience in getting rid of things in our lives and He doesn't need our meddling with His work. John 14:10
Quote:
10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works

"He doeth the works".

2009/6/30 23:38
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
But if we are "trying" to follow some rule that man has laid down as "holiness"

And then there is this verse found in Hebrews 13:17: (NASB)

" Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they keep watch over your souls as those who will give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with grief, for this would be unprofitable for you."

You may also want to consider Romans 1:32: (NASB)
"and although they know the ordinance of God, that those who practice such things are worthy of death, they not only do the same, but also give hearty approval to those who practice them."

So, why should blood washed saints find people playing at sin entertaining?

ginnyrose

2009/7/1 6:06Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy