Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Doing the same as Jesus

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
rbanks

Doing the same as Jesus

According to the scriptures we are suppose to be doing the same as Jesus with the same authority that he had on the earth.

Joh 14:12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

Joh 20:21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.
Joh 20:22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:
Joh 20:23 Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.

2009/6/20 22:06Profile
Logic

Re: Doing the same as Jesus

Quote:
rbanks wrote:
According to the scriptures we are suppose to be doing the same as Jesus with the same authority that he had on the earth.

There is a great passage in the Bible that talks about seeking and finding Jesus in the book of:
[b]Luke 2:44-49[/b] [color=990000]Thinking that he was with their fellow-travelers, they went one day's journey before searching for him among their relations and acquaintances;
[b]45:[/b] And then, as they did not find him, they returned to Jerusalem, searching everywhere for him.
[b]46:[/b] It was not till the third day that they found him in the Temple Courts, sitting among the Teachers, both hearing them, and asking them questions.
[b]47:[/b] All who listened to him marveled at his intelligence and his answers.
[b]48:[/b] And when they saw him, they were astonished; and his mother said unto him, Son, why hast thou thus dealt with us? Behold, thy father and I looked for you greatly distressed.
[b]49:[/b] And He said to them, why did you look for Me? Do you not know that I must be about My Father's business?[/color]

When you are seeking for guidance or God's will in your life put yourself in His parents place in this text. Like you, they were seeking Jesus, search everywhere but the place n which He shoukd be. Look at the conclusion of the text. They found Him in the temple in verses 48 and 49; what did He say?
[color=990000]I must be about My Father's business[/color]

Therefore, remember that when you are seeking Jesus, all you must do is to be where He is and do the things that pertain to our Fathers' business.
Where was Jesus usualy found & what was He usualy doing?
Praying, teaching in the temple (church), being among the "ones who need a physician", & rebuking the "religious leaders".

2009/6/20 23:20Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

You are right rbanks. John 14 is one of my favorite chapters. Taken as a whole, I find why Jesus said, "...because I go unto my father". He says that when He leaves, He will send the comforter. He also says that the Holy Spirit was with you, but shall be in you. The Holy Spirit was sent to empower us to do the very same works that Jesus did. In fact, Jesus did the works that He did only after receiving the indwelling power of the Holy Spirit. Acts 10:37-38 That word, I say, ye know, which was published throughout all Judaea, and began from Galilee, after the baptism which John preached; How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him. It is so wonderful to know that I don't have to try to do anything on my own, or by my own power or authority. I can empty myself of myself (die to myself and be alive unto God), much like Jesus emptied Himself of the divine nature that He had with God Philippians 2:6-8, be filled with His Holy Spirit be empowered to do the very same works that Jesus did as I minister to those around me. Praise God!!!

2009/6/20 23:46Profile

Hi rbanks,

Quote:

This is a huge topic - authority - which seems to me to be related to the obedience of the Son to do only His Father's will.

You might enjoy Carter Conlon's sermon from last week, which was titled 'Preparing to Stand in the Coming Storm', but with reference to what he actually said, could better be called '[url=http://media.tscnyc.org/mp3/20090614S1.mp3]Where is it?'[/url], with reference to the power he seems to be describing.

Perhaps he is talking about dunamis, rather than exousia, but, perhaps one ought not to have one without the other? This is a distinction which has to be made clear in our minds, as the KJV uses the word 'power' somewhat wantonly, and the Greek is more clear. What did you have in mind?

2009/6/21 3:19
clintstone

tulsa,ok.

doing the same as Jesus . Being a Christian is much more about the BEING than it is in the DOING . When we Christians put on Christ , we do that by taking on the Mind of Christ which is simply for us to live to ALL RIGHTEOUSNESS . Jesus told John the baptist to baptise Him ,and that it must be so , Unto All Righteousness . As we live only to obey God we will seek God with All our hearts to find out what EXACTLY HE would have us do , there are several diversities of functions within the body of Christ and everyone of them ONLY FUNCTION THROUGH THE HEAD OF THE BODY . So my point of my post is that Being in Jesus , truely ABIDING IN HIM the true vine , guarantees ,that everyone that does this will be motivated, by the head, to the office , or function that they are called in Christ to fulfill . The fulfilment of the call of God in each of our lives will happen NATURALLY without spinning , or toiling ,for those that truely abide in Him . All the offices of Christ are truely Christ Himself and these gifts naturally function as we are being who we are in Him . There is more that passes for Christ in christianity , than there is of the real functioning of Christ Himself ,or of the gifts and offices He gives His body . This is because we are to busy doing what we think He would have us Do , instead of Being who He would have us Be . this is a broad point of view that i have and I want to encourage all who read this to take courage and to put on Christ and rise up in vision and pray the prayers in eph. 1 and eph 3 for yourselves and Be a Christian and then God will use you , and great grace [ vision ] will abound to you . Just Abide in Jesus , always BE IN HIM , then it will always BE HIM WORKING IN AND THROUGH YOU . God Bless ,, Clint

2009/6/21 18:48Profile
rbanks

Re:

My desire is to be called a servant of God and not to be called an Apostle.

I believe that Jesus is our Chief Apostle and then you have the founding Apostles that he called in the beginning of His Church.

I also believe that we can, if God so chooses from those he calls, be a functioning apostle.

Those who are truly sent by God since the original apostles of scripture are functioning apostles because one who is truly sent of God is to function as an apostle.

John 20:21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.

Blessings to all!

2009/6/21 19:44Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Clintstone makes a good point when he says that it is more about being than doing. Doing the things that Christ did is impossible outside of abiding in Christ.

Desiring to serve Christ and His body is the right motivation. God has called many into five fold servant leadership as apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors, and teacher in the body of Christ for the purpose of equipping the body to do the work of the minsitry. Others he calls to a myriad of other places in the body. All should work off of a diakonos model of service and leadership. There really are no great ones in the body of Christ. But yes, there are functioning apostles, prophets, evangelist, pastors and teachers in the body. Wherever we serve, or whatever capacity God calls us to fill, we are all called to do the things Jesus did as we operate in the power of the Holy Spirit. It is good to bear in mind that everything Jesus did was motivated by love, compassion, and desire do the will of the Father in ministering to people.

2009/7/4 18:42Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

John 5:19-21 Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise. For the Father loveth the Son, and sheweth him all things that himself doeth: and he will shew him greater works than these, that ye may marvel. For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth them; even so the Son quickeneth whom he will.

John 6:26-27 Jesus answered them and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Ye seek me, not because ye saw the miracles, but because ye did eat of the loaves, and were filled. Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed.

John 6:28-29 Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God? Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

John 6:65 And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.

John 7:16-18 Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me. If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself. He that speaketh of himself seeketh his own glory: but he that seeketh his glory that sent him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in him.

John 7:28-29 Then cried Jesus in the temple as he taught, saying, Ye both know me, and ye know whence I am: and I am not come of myself, but he that sent me is true, whom ye know not. But I know him: for I am from him, and he hath sent me.

This is the One that brings the greater works to the body of Christ, He is the Great apostle, He is the great evangelist, He is all the Father has Given to the Body of Christ, for He is the One that will build up the Church and Him being in us is all the Glory that is necessary for our lives to be His life coming forth as us in what ever He wishes to manifest Himself in us, powered by the Holy Spirit of who this Christ in us is from the Father whom He sent to us and whom Jesus send us to the world.

In Him. In Him, Him in us as us by His work.

Colossians 1:27-29 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus: Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.

His is my perfection and His work in me is mighty to the greater works we can do by Him that is in us.

Galatians 2:20-21 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

We live and move and have our being in the perfect Christ that all righteous is given to man, whom the Father calls and births in him the Incorruptable Seed of the Father the Word Himself, our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ the true five fold Minister of all Five in whom He wishes and in whom the Holy Spirit chooses to use by His choosing to build up the body of Christ His Church.

In Christ: Phillip

2009/7/5 4:29Profile
ChrisMo

Re: BEING & NOT DOING

This is the message God has been speaking to me about over the last year & a half. It is out of the being that the doing will come. As we have true relationship with Him & seek His face above anything else, we will know what He would have us do. Over this time Jesus has done alot of refining in me & still has a way to go.
He also gave me Col. 1:27 ...Christ in me the hope of glory. The more you know Christ, the more you realise that it is only Him in you. It is His precious Holy Spirit in me that empowers me to be & do what Jesus would have me do.
Jesus only did what He saw the Father doing & He was full of the Holy Spirit.
He is preparing for Himself a bride without spot or wrinkle.
Christine

2009/7/5 6:56Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy