SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : "Praying Through" (to victory over sin)

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Gideons

Virginia

"Praying Through" (to victory over sin)

I've heard a number of references to "praying through" and getting the victory through Jesus Christ.

The Holy Spirit has shown that there are some things in my life that I must "pray through." Could someone provide the Biblical basis for "praying through" and/or your own testimony in regards to praying through a specific sin that kept defeating you.

Thank you for any response and I'll check back later today as I'm at lunch.

2004/9/1 12:08Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: "Praying Through" (to victory over sin)

Quote:
The Holy Spirit has shown that there are some things in my life that I must "pray through." Could someone provide the Biblical basis for "praying through" and/or your own testimony in regards to praying through a specific sin that kept defeating you.

Brother this is great! I would first say that we must 'pray until we pray' then we can 'pray through'. Tozer coined that first phrase stating that must of us actually dont take the time to get into Gods presence in a way that His ear is bended to us in favor, persistant, persevering prayer is the normal for prayer life as Jesus taught it. I think as you said its essentially to have a spirit of prevailing prayer over our lifes and glorfying God. I was praying at the church today 'for your names sake O Lord', 'we are a people that bear your name dont let us bring reproach on you', 'O Lord let us be a praise in the Land that people may know you are the true God, let people see us as a people at church and KNOW there IS a God!', (its prayer day at my church and man im really at a lose, I was praying for my specific sins but then God really took over and had me praying for His entire people at my church that we may all bear his name without reproach, hyprocrispy, double-mindedness.).

I think there is a scripture in galations that says, what you sow in the flesh you reap corruption but that which is sown in the spirit you reap life. And Jesus himself said the spirit quickeneth but the flesh profiteth nothing, the words that [b]I[/b] speak are spirit and are life (John 6:63). Those who worship the father must worship in spirit and truth. Once we begin to sow in the spirit consistenly in our lifes and our prayers arent of the flesh but the spirit we will see a change. Just some of my thoughts hope its a blessing.

2004/9/1 12:30Profile
Gideons

Virginia

Re:

Thanks Brother Greg,

I've been thinking about this all day and it's so disturbing to me. I think failure to a besetting sin reveals one of three things, or perhaps a combination thereof:

1. Unbelief - Is there any greater sin than unbelief. I don't believe the Bible ranks sins but failure to have victory basically says that God isn't who he says he is. It says that God is incapable of giving victory. Ouch...

2. Pride - God I'm going to get this victory no matter what, even it kills me. It fails to recognize that in my flesh there is no good thing (Romans 7) and Jesus' words when he said "Apart from me, you can do nothing." Ouch again...

3. Love of sin - It reveals that the sin is loved more than Jesus Christ. In other words, this besetting sin is more appealing to me than Jesus. Jesus said "No man can serve two masters."

Yet another ouch. I need to spend some time on my face and let the Holy Spirit tell me which of these (or perhaps all of them) apply. There is no victory apart from Jesus Christ, that part I'm certain of.

2004/9/1 16:30Profile
Delboy

Worthing UK

Re:

Gideon, my view is that Surely God does not want us living a dual life under or besiegedby a particular sin.God has made provision for us not to sin and to be freed from the law of Sin(in Adam)As a new creation we can now say the inevitability of sins is gone.1 John 2 v 1 it is now, 'IF' we sin not 'When'Hopefully the link below will help you as well this was a dicussion on a similar subject
http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2081&forum=36&51 :-)

2004/9/1 18:04Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: "Praying Through" (to victory over sin)

Quote:

Hi Gideons
If God has shown you what to do He will show you how to do it. Beware the techniques. I would not ever want to discourage prayer but victory over sin is Christ's job not yours. He was given the name of Jesus because He would save His people from their sins. Faith cannot save you, nor prayer, no matter how tenacious. If it could faith would be your Saviour. Neither can prayer save you, for the same reason.

Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else. (Isa 45:22 KJV)

2004/9/1 19:03Profile
moreofHim

Re: victory

I really liked what Ron has to say here! It really confirms what I believe as well. Victory is a Man. You have that Man- so you can have victory.

Quote:
God does not give us a thing called victory. Instead, He gives us His Son to be our Victory. Christ is Victory. It is not a question of going forth to war in the name of Jesus and claiming the victory in advance. May I say that Victory does not depend upon whether you "claim" anything or not. Victory is a Man! Overcoming is entering into Victory Himself, being clothed with Victory, sharing in the Life of One Who overcame. Thus, our victory is bound up in the Lord Himself. It is not a separate grace or gift which He grants to certain ones who learn some principles of spiritual warfare. -C. Brogden

Here is the rest of this article called "Victory is a Man". It opened my eyes big time and I've never seen victory the same since. :)
[url=http://www.watchman.net/articles/victory.html]Victory Is A Man[/url]

many blessings Ed!!! I pray that you will find your rest in Him, the [b]author[/b] and [b]finisher[/b] of your faith.

In Him, Chanin

2004/9/1 19:55Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

A life of overcoming,
A life of ceaseless praise,
Be this thy blessed portion
Throughout the coming days.
The victory was purchased
On Calvary'cross for thee,
Sin shall not have dominion,
The Son hath made thee free.

And would'st thou know the secret
Of constant victory?
Let in the Overcomer,
And He will conquer thee!
Thy broken spirit taken
In sweet captivity,
Shall glory in His triumph
And share His victory.

Though all the path before thee
The host of darkness fill,
Look to Thy Father's promise,
And claim the victory still,
Faith sees the heavenly legions,
Where doubt see naught but foes,
And through the very conflict
Her life the stronger grows.

More stern will grom the conflict
As near our King's return,
And they alone can face it
Who this great lesson learn:-
That from them God asks nothing
But to unlatch the door
Admitting Him who through them,
Will conquer evermore.

Freda Hanbury Allen

2004/9/2 7:34Profile
Gideons

Virginia

Re:

Thanks so much for the posts,

Jesus is the victory. I purchased that CD from Brother Chip and it's so true. Since He alone is victory there is no victory apart from Him. Thanks for reminding me Chanin.

As to your comments Brother Ron, thank you. It's a warning to my flesh, which would say something like this "Lord if I just get the formula down right, then deliverance will occur." God has not and never will glorify the flesh (mine or anyone else's). It would be akin to saying look what God did with my help. It won't happen. Thank you for the warning.

The only victory is in Christ and through the death of my flesh. Thank you all for the encouraging words.

2004/9/2 8:15Profile
Delboy

Worthing UK

Re: victory is a man

Hi chanin, hey thanks as well for that link to victory is a man, so encouraging.

:-)

2004/9/2 8:59Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

[b]Romans 7:24-15 - 8:1[/b] - O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin. There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are [u][b]in[/u] Christ Jesus[/b], who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

[b]in[/b] Christ Jesus! but as the scriptures state we must put on the Lord Jesus, we must determine to follow him and choose him in all situations. We have to acknoweldge him in all our ways and HE will make our paths straight. EVERY promise of God has a condition that we have to meet, EVERY promise does.

I believe you cant just sit back and say 'I am in Christ' and then all sin and temptation will disappear, but rather we have to be determined and live in the Spirit not minding the things of the flesh.

[b]Romans 8:5-8[/b] - For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

[b]Romans 8:13[/b] - For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

This is not a hard work.. as the old hymn says once we are in Christ 'the things of this world grow strangely dim.'

I would say as much as you take care of your body physically at least that is much that you take care of your spiritual man. Feeding it by reading the word of God daily, praying to God in prayers unceasing for the saints which is the life blood of a spiritual man, living in faith not by sight (ps dont try closing your eyes and walking across a street :-P ).

2004/9/2 9:13Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy