SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Why are Young People Leaving the Church?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re: Living Stones

I still contend that most people believe the Word when they see the Word. Jesus is real as He is indisputably alive in his people, and that is when the conviction of sin, righteousness and judgment manifest; to create holiness; this is where Apostolic preaching and teaching takes root.

It was said by all of the church in Pentecost; "Behold, how they love one another!" I would wager that not many of the youth departed from the faith that were reared here. They knew God was real, and a good God. They knew He was to be feared, and worshiped also, because they saw Him in action every day. The clergy/laity heresies that created the deadness we now tolerate were not yet dominant. The church is not the meeting, but a vibrant and joyful family, equal and edifying itself in love, as the Christian home is to be.

I might add that the church was also not centered around theologians mincing at the jot and tittle, assuming that their perspectives were the only thing important. The least of the brethren, along with the youth, the unlearned, the poor and destitute were honored and received as any other, and the church was open to their ministry as much as any. It was alive, and as far as youth go, they seldom will leave life willingly.

2009/6/16 11:13
HeartSong

Re:

Quote:
dunlow64God said:

I can't stand up to over half of the folks here, because I'm not as learned as a lot of you are. But I do love God with everything I have and I live for Him daily.

I think you stood up just fine. :-)

2009/6/16 11:50Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

dunlow64God,

Sister, you need to share more often! I will be praying that prayer for your son and mine. Jesus said, "You have not chosen me but I have chosen you;" I pray that for mine and others, "Lord, choose them to be yours and yours alone. I pray that they would fall in love with you and as their mother, let me be an example of being in true love with you."

Just a thought, have you ever let your youth group control the meeting; plan the music, the worship, plan the topic, do the talking, asking, etc? so they would begin to have a vested interest in the outcome? I don't know, I've often thought about that. I don't know if it would work or not, they will probably be slow going at first since no one has probably ever allowed them that kind of freedom before.

Brothertom,

You wrote> It was alive, and as far as youth go, they seldom will leave life willingly.

I agree wholeheartedly with you on this.

I agree with many, many others as well, forgive me if I didn't point you out.

God bless you all,

2009/6/16 14:43Profile

Re: Mothers and Fathers...

Lysa:, thanks...and dunlow64.. I didn't want to make the impression, however, that there is not some failure in even the best of us. We can do everything right, and we all struggle, yet have things turn into a train wreck sometimes.

Adam had a perfect Father, and walked hand in hand with the Creator Himself. Adam failed, yes, but did God fail? A repentant Adam had Cain, who admonished him, to no avail.

Abraham and Ishmael, Jacob and Esau, King David and Absalom, Moses and his sons and Solomon his sons...on and on. It is sometimes not the Churches fault, or the parents. Yes we fail, but there is also the world, the flesh and the Devil for everyone to overcome, and when we see our children devoured, we as all good parents do, look firstly to our own inadequacies and failures, and failure to provide.

But we were saved out of depravity, as wicked Adam is; and the gripping reality of our children is that they must too be saved, by their faith.

Salvation is not inherited like a bank account, as much as we disparately hope it is. It is imputed by election and grace, and it often seems unfair.

We cannot suffer guilt by the rebellion of our children, but as Job, offer supplication and intercede for mercy for them, that God would have mercy, and they would be born again and thereby saved. They belong to God, and must answer before Him, and either receive or reject Jesus' blood sacrifice all on there own.

There is always pain bound in this thing called parenting, and sometimes excruciating pain. It gives us a taste of how the Father feels when He is rejected and spurned.

We are weak people, saved by grace, in the end, and Jesus promised that one day, every tear shall be wiped away from our face, and "The former things shall be remembered no more." I am sure that this involves the memory of our loved ones who hated the Lord, and were damned. Otherwise, Heaven would not be Heaven carrying an eternal weight of loss and guilt, would it?

My son is living a narcissistic and reprobate lifestyle, and has blasphemed me and constantly disrespects me. He was home schooled and attended a solid Christian academy, and I taught him also about the Lord. I do not believe he has a conscience, convicting him of any sin. He is in God's hands, and I too have mourned unrequited love and rejection of a loved one. I get up, and I go on, trying to serve the Lord, even all alone, if necessary, but I am not guilt ridden. People eventually have to choose this day who they will serve. Heaven and Hell are very, very real.

2009/6/16 16:38
wayneman

Michigan

Re:

Quote:
Walter wrote:

Do we believe God, and in His preserved Word, or do we believe the lie, fed to us daily by the God rejecting Word? That is the issue

Well, I believe God and His preserved Word, if you're taking votes. Of course God has sovereignly preserved His Word. It could not be otherwise. If the original autographs were rewritten and contaminated, then God would lose sovereignty over His own Word, which is impossible. But I was not questioning the authority of Scripture; I was pointing out that Christian apologetics is creating a generation of agnostics by conflating Bible truth with junk science and lunatic logic.

2009/6/16 21:00Profile

Re: Old Earth or Young Earth?

[b]Hello Wayneman:[/b]

[color=990000]I would like to recommend a video by Ben Stein entitled “Expelled- No Intelligence Allowed”

It is a movie that documents how the Evolutionists, with the help of the colleges and Universities in America, and the additional help of the national media, has stopped all dialogue about even the possiblity of Creation and Intelligent Design. How have they done this?

The Scientist who expresses any validity or makes any positive declaration or statement about Creation and or intelligent design is "discliplined". Several examples:

1.Dr. Caroline Crocker of George Mason University mentioned “Intelligent Design” in her teaching, and lost her job! She became blacklisted and has not been able to find a job anywhere.

2.Dr. Michael Egnor, Neurosurgeon, who made the public statement to High School Students that Doctors do not need to study evolution in order to practice medicine. He was viciously attacked by the “Science Lobby” and the media.

3.Professor Robert J. Marks II of Baylor University- Once they found out he supported intelligent design, they shut down his website and made him return grant money.

4.Astronomer Gueruro Onogly- Publised a book, arguing that intelligent design was feasible. The result? His tenure was denied.[b] His statement—"if Scientists value their careers, they had better be quiet about intelligent design".[/b]

5.Molecular Biologist Jonathan Wells- was trying to bring up the possibility of Creation, and was ostracized and his views that were distorted by mainline Darwinists.[/color]

[color=336633]Some Darwinists, and their views:

Dr. Richard Dawkins: A Darwinist whose deception and deceit are not only disgusting, but he is also focused on the suppression of academic freedom, and in the belief in God.

He made the following statement: “Creationists are just stupid”

He made the following statement in the video:
[b]"Once he started studying Darwinism, that was what finally killed off his religious faith”

Biologist P. Z. Myers, who runs the pro-Darwin, anti religion blog says “that science eroded his faith in God”

Dr. William Provine, Professor of History & Biology at Cornell University made the following statements in the video:

“No Gods, no life after death, no ultimate foundation of ethics, no ultimate meaning of life, and no human free will. All are deeply connected to an evolutionary perspective. We are here today and gone tomorrow.”[/b]

[b]He was a Christian, however his Bilology teacher challenged him and turned him from the belief in creation to evolution. He immediately began to doubt the existence of the Deity. “It starts by believing in evolution and progresses to giving up an active deity, and then it progresses to gving up the hope that there is any life after death—when you give those two up, the rest of it follows rather easily. Then you give up the hope that there is an imminent morality, and then finally there is no free will. If you believe in evolution, you cannot hope for any free will or any meaing of human life. We live, we die, and we are absolutely gone when we die.[/color][/b]

[b]It is an excellent movie, and will surely open the eyes of those who are searching for the truth.[/b]

Sincerely,

Walter

Quote:

wayneman wrote:
Quote:
Walter wrote:

Do we believe God, and in His preserved Word, or do we believe the lie, fed to us daily by the God rejecting Word? That is the issue

Well, I believe God and His preserved Word, if you're taking votes. Of course God has sovereignly preserved His Word. It could not be otherwise. If the original autographs were rewritten and contaminated, then God would lose sovereignty over His own Word, which is impossible. But I was not questioning the authority of Scripture; I was pointing out that Christian apologetics is creating a generation of agnostics by conflating Bible truth with junk science and lunatic logic.

2009/6/16 21:15
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

waltern wrote:

Quote:

I would like to recommend a video that you can rent, by Ben Stein called Expelled- No Intelligence allowed

Just started watching this the other night. Good recommendation. :-)

2009/6/16 21:23Profile
wayneman

Michigan

Re:

Walter,

[url=http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=ben+stein+expelled&emb=0&aq=0&oq=ben+stein+#]Here[/url] is the trailer and links to related videos.

The Origin of Species is the Westminster Confession of the anti-god movement, which is why some scientists and academic authorities respond so irrationally to Intelligent Design. If, on the other hand, evolution were taught in the Bible, it would be banned from public schools and denounced as heresy by Richard Dawkins.

2009/6/16 22:17Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Why are Young People Leaving the Church?

I only briefly read some of the posts here and practically none of the long ones because they are exhausting, as Lysa said.

I have one idea, maybe two, why youth leave the church. But first let me tell you something.

I am 62 years old. I grew up in a Christian home as did all my peers. We attended Sunday Schools, VBS, Bible Schools, parochial schools where Bible was taught. Some attended Christian colleges, although very few did but this made no difference. We were exposed to wonderful evangelists, revival services that went on for weeks. BUT many apostatized, meaning most stayed religious, are decent folks but are today in a very worldly church.

I asked a couple of our church conference leaders this question "why did most of my generation leave the church? We had the best Bible teaching there was. Why?" Then the one fellow who is ten years younger then me asked "Why didn't you apostasize?" hmmm. Made me think. never considered this question before. I finally told him "God must have had his hand on me."

And that is the answer: God had his hand on me. Was I ever tempted to leave? YES, and YES!!! And why didn't I? Must have been the hand of God on me.

I could say more but will allow this to suffice for the moment. It is late...

ginnyrose

2009/6/16 23:55Profile

Re: Expelled

To Wayneman:

The youtube links are good, but the movie is much more thorough. If you have a chance, be sure and catch the movie.

Sincerely,

Walter

Quote:

wayneman wrote:
Walter,

[url=http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=ben+stein+expelled&emb=0&aq=0&oq=ben+stein+#]Here[/url] is the trailer and links to related videos.

The Origin of Species is the Westminster Confession of the anti-god movement, which is why some scientists and academic authorities respond so irrationally to Intelligent Design. If, on the other hand, evolution were taught in the Bible, it would be banned from public schools and denounced as heresy by Richard Dawkins.

2009/6/17 0:55

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy