SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Vacation Bible School Disruptions

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Vacation Bible School Disruptions

I have a problem and am asking for helpful insights on how to deal with it.

Here is the situation: I am teaching a class of 14 12+ year old girls. All but two of them are black and come from single parent homes (I think). They are so irreverent, disrespectful. This evening I passed the basket and collected their cell phones which helped some - no texting, and no calling between students in another class.

Most of these students come from homes where they are yelled at all the time. Loud, rough yelling. So maybe they are conditioned to not listen until the voice of authority reaches a certain decibel?

Tonight I had a girl who had a fit of laughing that was beyond reason. I know laughter and love to laugh, but this was so excessive I wonder whether it was demonic? (Maybe Todd Bentley could have appreciated it??)

Today I prayed that God would keep the girls at home who are disruptive and in answer I had more then ever before!

I am hoping there would be some who grew up in the culture I just described who can give me some helpful suggestions...and if nothing else pray that the enemy would be defeated. Or, perhaps there are others who have dealt with similar situations who can give helpful advice.

To suggest I am weary is a bit of an understatement...

ginnyrose

2009/6/11 23:31Profile
jpspeer

Re: Vacation Bible School Disruptions

My advice would be to pray thoroughly for the convicting power of the Holy Spirit to accompany God's preached word and break from whatever formalities may have been instituted for the sake of the VBS and simply read the gospel from God's word as preached by John the Baptist, Jesus, and the Apostle Paul.

The Gospel and God's Word: the power of God unto salvation.

2009/6/12 0:03Profile
rainydaygirl

Re:

I will be praying for you. I wish I had some words of wisdom to offer but I don't. All I can tell you is that I was exactly like those girls you described. When I was a teenager I went with one of my friends from school to a girls teen youth sleep over and beach party(her mother made her go). We did not want to be there that weekend and because of that we behaved really bad, we were disruptive and disrespectful. We wanted to prove to all the goody two shoes in the youth group that we were cool and that we were above their stupid little group. I am sorry to say that I was really a brat to the lady who was in charge and that I am sure I and my friends made her time that weekend really awful. I guess my point in sharing this with you is that even if this week ends and you don't see any fruit in these young girls lives now, you never know that some day, the seeds that you are planting God may use to get a hold of one of these young ladies heart.

rdg

2009/6/12 1:29Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Thank-you,rdg. You said what I needed to hear.

There is one exercise that seems to have a calming effect: this is when we do the exercises in the workbook. They do not have a textbook, but depend on the teacher to teach it. After sharing the lesson, we go to the workbook. They think it is fun to check the answers in the back so when I read the questions, they will verbally share the answers. They are writing most of the time. They are occupied, doing something - may be there is a clue here?

Another poster suggested reading the Word - interesting thought except that I am the only one with a Bible...

Any more suggestions?

ginnyrose

2009/6/12 7:29Profile
Aussiedler

GERMANY

I am pretty sure that the laughter is demonic. But you have no authority over any demon if you are making fun over any other christians (doesn't matter if they are deceived or not). If you want authority over the devil you cannot be critical, judgemental - even if it's todd (I am not defending him, he has to stand before god alone, and we have to stand before god alone.)

2009/6/12 7:37Profile

Hello, ginnyrose.

From what you've shared, it sounds like you are teaching the children of unrighteous and unbelieving parents. The children--in order to be behaving in such a way--do not know the Lord either. My question is (all the above being true): what responsibility from the Lord do you have to teach the Bible to unbelievers' children? Can you show me at least one example in Scripture of women (or men) of God teaching Gentile children His Word and His ways? If you have a God-given responsibility, then God will supply the grace for its accomplishment, but if not, then it will not be surprising--but rather God's mercy--that you fail.

What I see as the example in Scripture is that [i]parents[/i] are supposed to bring up in the admonition of the Lord [i]their own[/i] children. If the parents themselves do not believe in God, nor obey the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ, then [u]are we, "who know better," going to take their children from them and educate them on their behalf (like Communists do)[/u]? And even if they send their girls to you to teach them, isn't still [i]their[/i] (the parents') responsibility to bring them up in the faith? But what if they themselves do not believe? Do they think they can evade the harm their unbelieving example will cause their children?

The parents, or single mothers, are responsible for disciplining their kids. Entrusting them in your care and expecting you to deal with their issues is unscriptural (these are not grown-ups, these are kids). Then it is no surprising you are finding yourself unable to deal with these "disruptions". Godly training starts from the home. If the mothers think that "you know the Word better" and "you can do them a favor by teaching their daughters about the Bible," then [i]they[/i] need to read that Bible themselves and see what it says--and not avoid the responsibility they have been given by the Creator to discipline their children.

You cannot do these kids a favor (until they are of a certain age to be independent and take care of themselves), without following God's prescribed pattern of "parents (not wellmeaning strangers) teaching their children" (these girls are NOT orphans). Moreover what good will it be for them to sit there and be taught from the Bible [i]against[/i] their own will?

2009/6/12 7:40
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Hi Ginny,
my heart goes out to you. I am also a white guy teaching mostly black 12-14 year old boys and girls Sunday school. Some follow with a bit of interest others rather would do something else. They are all very quite, and I do most of the talking. Last time I shared my frustration with a friend. I taught them last week and had some of the most amazing responses, and some of it was inspired, no doubt. I share this with my friend who is on the same rota with me and he told me that he had prayed for me in particular.

I saw NOTMEs comment and I disagree with them. It is right that these mothers are unbelievers and you may have no mandate to eductate them in the way of the Lord, but we have a mandate to make the best of every opportunity to preach the gospel.

Colossians 4:5
Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity...

Ephesians 5:15-16
15Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, 16making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.

2009/6/12 8:20Profile
LoveGodsWay2

Ohio, USA

Since you are the only one with a bible, may be you print the scriptures out for each student.

You could go to [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/]Bible Gateway.com[/url] Then copy and paste into notepad or other word prossessing software. Then each girl could take the scriptures home with them.

2009/6/12 8:23Profile
Limey153

Berkshire, England

Firstly the best thing to do is pray!
I am no expert myself but my wife works with very similar young people, she often says that shouting is wasted on them and that they are so used harsh and unloving environments at home that really nothing seems to shock them.
But... the one thing that they are not so used to at home is compassion and love. She has found that it can be amazing how they respond when offered a hand of friendship!

2009/6/12 8:35Profile

Ginny,

I feel your pain. First, I would say that this behavior does not have anything really to do with a certain culture are ethnicity (other than modern America) but, like you said, it has to do with the homes from which these kids come.

I work with 14 year old girls and boys (from inner-city and rural homes) everyday and I have for the past five years, so like I said, I feel your pain. The advantage that I have is that I am able to create a relationship with them and become like a parent too them.

I am a teacher at a private residential school for impoverished kids in PA. I get the opportunity to do devotions with the kids on regular basis.

Here are just some helpful hints that I have learned through experience and through other teachers:

1. Set behavioral expectations. These kids need to know what is expected of them while they are in the classroom.

2. I am assuming they do not know you, and being a mature white woman, you can be sure that they do not respect you...settle it in your mind and then move on...I know what this is like because I am a balding, very white, Irish-American, and I have had kids literally laugh in my face when they first meet me.

3. Get their attention off of you. Ask them what they believe about the bible, about God, about Jesus. In any classroom, the goal is to engage the students, and the best way to do that is to get them talking about themselves.

4. If they say some correct things concerning the bible then affirm them. If they are incorrect, then show them the truth in the Word. Use their responses to direct the class.

5. Approach the bible as a story. Everyone loves a good story.

6. Be passionate. Talk about what you are most passionate. They will listen.

7. I do not know if you would be willing, but it might help to find some QUALITY (full of content) Christian music (rap, r&b) that they might listen to as an ice breaker.

8. Remember, they are not the enemy (demonic or otherwise) they are kid that probably know little or no discipline. Show them that you care, maybe give them a gift in the beginning of class (something that they would be interested in)

Let me know how it goes...

Michael

2009/6/12 9:32

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy