Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Deception's Gateways

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Lor_E

Montana USA

Deception's Gateways

A simple question, really: Since the nature of deception is such that one does not really know when they are deceived, how would one keep from being deceived? Sure there are many quick and pat answers, but I sense an urgency that this growing deception all around us is so pervasive that one must fight to maintain the establishment of the of [b][i] truth [/b][/i].

It seems there are so many times in scripture that we are warned… “Let no man deceive you… Do not be deceived… “ and other such like scriptures, that we would do well in contemplating the entryway, the portal, the means, methods and nature of this deception which not only overwhelms the whole world, but also causes a “falling away”.

It seems that there has been so much discussion about the falling away in the church world that people have a tendency to believe that it is not meant for them, but someone else. Someone who is much more ignorant, much more “simple”, but not this studied intellectual class of Christians in the 21st century! We’ve heard 1,000 sermons on the enemy’s deceiving nature, we’ve read 100’s of verses describing deception; we’ve even gone so far as to look at this or that person, this or that denomination, this or that “teaching” and labeled them as [b]deceived[/b] and then turned a blind eye to those little seeds implanted in our own hearts, minds and lives which have the ability to deceive ourselves.

We would all like to be [i]right[/i], we would all like to think that we are standing in a position that is untouchable by this world’s deceptions, we would all like think that we have gone through that at some point in our lives and we no longer have to worry about it anymore. We would also like to think that because we have filled our minds with so many words of truth that somehow it will protect us against any sort of deception.

It always seems much easier to see someone else’s deception, someone else’s faults, someone else’s misunderstanding, than to allow the burning light of God to shine in our own hearts and reveal those things WE believe which are not of God’s origination.

If I believe a lie that is not based upon any doctrine, but merely a fleshly lie…. Such as: If I use this toothpaste I will be more attractive and have a better life… have I opened up my mind to receive other lies which may eventually lead to an improper perception to my own life and to the God who is to be the Lord of my life?

If I [b]believe[/b]:
This television network tells the “truth”;
this politician will make our lives better;
this company will be my sustenance;
this man will heal me;
this medicine will heal me, make me live longer and/or make me better looking;
my life is better when the things that surround me look this certain way;
I feel better about myself when I look a certain way;
I was put here on this earth to be happy and prosper;
the government is here to “take care of me”, give me a better way of life and they always tell the truth;
I can think, speak and do as I please and as long as I’m not hurting anyone else it must be alright;
If I think good thoughts it is just as good as doing good deeds;
as long as I attend the Sunday meeting and make sure the pastor has a good wage I am doing the will of God;
giving a sack of food to the local food bank is just as good as feeding the person I can tell is hungry down the road;
I’ll give the money to the church and they’ll take care of those who have needs within our congregation, regardless if I see a need with my own two eyes;
I just bought a new couch and loveseat for 1,000’s of dollars, but giving $10 to those struggling missions groups is as good as anything I can do right now;
times are tough, but my standard of living shouldn’t have to suffer in order that everyone else has enough to maintain life and health;
I can’t save to whole world, so as long as I just focus on what is in front of me, I’ll be doing fine;
I guess I’m just too [b]bad[/b] for God to help me;
I’m just going to pray and continue to live my life as I always have and I know the Lord will heal me;
I don’t need to bother God with the small details of my concern, He has bigger things to worry about;
Oh, I’ve forgiven them, I just don’t trust them; I wish I could be like brother so- and so, God must sure love him more than He does me;
I’m doing pretty good when I compare myself to all the rest of these people;
We really need to give our money to this poor country to make sure their standard of living more represents ours so I don’t have to feel guilty for having such a beautiful home, car and 3 closets full of clothes...
what effect will it have in my perceptions of who God is and what He does, how might it affect the way I preceive myself? or those around me?

The list could go on and on, some of these things I have heard, some I have felt, some are inferred by actions.

Where do we draw the line in our own hearts and minds for what deceptions we keep, ignore, and allow on the borders?

[I][b]He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God; and being fully persuaded that,
What He had promised, He was able also to perform. Rom 4:20,21

Now faith is the substance (the confidence) of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
Heb 11:1

But of the times and seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you. For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night

For when they shall say, ‘Peace and safety’; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape,
But ye, brethren are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief…..

Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober….

Now we exhort you, brethren, warn them that are unruly, comfort the feebleminded, support the weak, be patient toward ALL MEN.

See that NONE render evil for evil unto any man; but ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all men.

In everything give thanks:
For this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you……. 1 Thss 5: var. verses

But I say unto you, that every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. For by the words thou shalt be justified, and by they words thou shalt be condemned. Mat 12:36,37

But they made light of it, and went their ways, one to his farm, another to his merchandise…
Matt 22:5
Take heed that no man deceive you. For many shall come in My name,
Saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many. Matt 24:5

Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come…
Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh…
and if that evil servant shall say in his heart, ‘My lord delayed his coming…
Matt 24: 42,44, 48

And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting (oversupply), and drunkeness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares.
For as a snare shall it come on all them that dwell of the face of the whole earth.
Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man. Luke 21:34-36

To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with Me in My throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with My Father in His throne.
He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches. Rev 3:21,22 [/b][/I]

Just a synopsis of my devotion and discussion with my husband this morning, perhaps it is merely for me, but I was so encouraged by it I wanted to share it.

God bless you all,
I have not forgotten you all, I still have you in my heart and my prayers and I check back from time to time, I just have such limited time that the time I do have I feel convicted to study the Word and to pray. But I do check back from time to time to read your some of your posts and always appreciate your thoughts, the honesty in your struggles, and your encouragements.

Love in Christ,
Lori

2009/6/6 12:25Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Deception's Gateways

Lore,

This subject is on my mind a lot. Maybe it is because I am getting older? But never mind, it disturbs me because it is all around us. While it is easy to see it in others, the question comes: am I deceived? What I share is what I have concluded about this issue.

Deception is progressive. The enemy will start with little things and progress to bigger things a little bit at a time. The progress is so gradual the victim is unaware of the progression because he will refuse to think and/or is in denial.

Deception involves a conscious, deliberate decision on the part of the individual. He decides who to trust based on his perception, likes and dislikes. If it is rooted in self appeasement, there he will go; if it sounds good, that is what I will pursue and any questions will have to be dealt with based on this philosophy. If you want truth, you will look for it, search it out and with the Holy Spirit illuminating you, you will see the reality of whatever you are looking for or at.

Jesus says the Holy Spirit will lead you to all truth. Notice - it says ALL, not some or a little but ALL. That is all inclusive, don't you think?

There are a lot of merchants out there who want your money and will appeal to your vanity, pride to get it. The reality is that our bodies will not live forever in the form it is in - it is doomed to die, rot and stink so why spend money for something so perishable? So, you go back to square one: what is essential for life? Food, clothes, housing and love.

People will decide based on what they want and do not want to do or be. If a Scripture instructs one to do something, folks will find a writer somewhere who will explain this issue and why it does not mean what it says. So then people will follow it because it makes them feel comfortable.

I do not think one will ever be able to avoid this temptation. It is all around us. Since this is the case we need to guard ourselves from folks who wish to influence us. The devil will use loved ones - spouse, children, parents, siblings, friends to get us to doubt the LORD, question his Word. It is so easy for our loved ones to find a path into our hearts and deceive us because we love them so much and God surely would not damn such a fine person to hell! so says the enemy.

Quote:
It seems that there has been so much discussion about the falling away in the church world that people have a tendency to believe that it is not meant for them, but someone else. Someone who is much more ignorant, much more “simple”, but not this studied intellectual class of Christians in the 21st century!

Have you not noticed that it is the religious intelligentsia who are at the forefront of peddling deception? They use glitzy props, be it books, music, drama to facilitate this.

Quote:
Where do we draw the line in our own hearts and minds for what deceptions we keep, ignore, and allow on the borders?

It seems to me that one should develop this mentality that things are going to serve me and not me them! If it will not enhance my well-being, forget it! But be realistic on what works, or is essential and work from that perspective. And you would be surprise what is actually essential for life and what is vanity if you look at things from this perspective.

The devil will make you feel like you will be so happy, content if you have this or that. Once you acquire it the thrill is there only to fade with time and now you need another one to replace it. The enemy works to replace the satisfaction of God in our life with things and once we know how this functions, we will be able to guard ourselves against this deception.

My thoughts - may have more later...But this is an interesting question..

ginnyrose

2009/6/6 18:28Profile
growingholly

Re:

wow...this is so telling..i'm grateful for this, i have been thinking on these very things lately...seeing how i have been slowly but steadily deceived, pushed to compromise in "little" areas...and now, to see i have slipped a bit over the last year or so...but even any teeny bit is too far from God!!! think about it, if the military were to fire a missile a tenth of a millimeter off, it would hit a totally different country than intended...because in the traveling it goes that course which started out as the tiniest, minuscule, seemingly insignificant deviation.

i used to work for a laser eye center, and their work on people's corneas was measured in microns. a micron is a thousandth of a millimeter!!! and if they were off just a micron, it could permanently damage the patient's eyesight. a thousandth...of a millimeter. think on that a second, it's so tiny it boggles the mind...

how much of my compromise has seemed like a thousandth of a millimeter? all of it. because i hated the rejection of others, i saw my brethren compromising for the same reasons, and i just wanted to love people my way, just a little; i was so weary and tired of fighting so hard all the time...and now, next thing i know, i am faced lately in so many ways with my compromise over the last several months to a year. God is so kind to show me this!!! it is His mercy!!! i hope for repentance...for me and for all others in this boat. there is no time for waiting for ourselves to grow up or for God to do some kind of a miracle on us when we really aren't that interested in repentance in sackcloth and ashes anyways. we must run screaming, grieving, pleading to Him!

please, Father...
please have mercy.
please bring revival.
please shake us out of this.
please restore us who have just gone those microns away and suddenly woke up one day realizing we were scared and had wandered off into the forest alone...

please God.

2009/6/6 22:41Profile
Lor_E

Montana USA

Re:

Hi Ginnyrose,
It's so nice to hear from you.
I was thinking about this...

Quote:
This subject is on my mind a lot. Maybe it is because I am getting older? But never mind, it disturbs me because it is all around us

I wonder, do you really think that it is that you are older? Perhaps we have seen more of it around than some... I wonder, since I have grown up in this worlds time that is full of brainwashing, and merchandising I have, by God's grace and conviction, recognized some of those things that had been formed in my perceptions from childhood. Things that blurred my vision, perceptions that have caused me much struggle even since I became a born again Christian.

Quote:
Jesus says the Holy Spirit will lead you to all truth. Notice - it says ALL, not some or a little but ALL. That is all inclusive, don't you think?

Quite! and Amen! Since I know this to be absolute truth, I must recognize that my own heart may well deceive me, and Christ will shed light on that deception, and though it may cost me great pain to recognize, because of this great salvation I would rather fall on my face in the light and cry out for forgiveness and protection than to continue on my merry way into some sort of psuedo-unready, unwilling, and impudent person wavering between Christianity and worldliness.

So why then are there such within the church-world that seem to be led astray from that which is good and right and true?

Quote:
So then people will follow it because it makes them feel comfortable

I suppose that is true, that reminds me of something my husband has said time and time again, "All to often we have made God someone that we can live with instead of someone we can't live without." Making God into someone who is like us.

[i]And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man...[/i]

I have been studying the Geneva Bible in the morning and awhile back in 2 Tim 3:1-7 are these margin notes:
[i]We may not hope for any church in this world without corruption; but rather there shall be (in the last days) rather great abundance of most wicked men, even in the bosom of the Church. Which notwithstanding shall make a show and countenance of great holiness and charity.[/i]

In regards to this verse:
[i]Having a show of godliness, but having denied the power thereof, turn away therefore from such.[/i]

and another margin note in regards to 2 Thes 5:4
...[i]Paul warns us which are lightened with the knowledge of God, [b]that it is our duty to not live securely in deliciousness,[/b] lest we be suddenly taken in a dead sleep in pleasures, but contrarywise to have an eye to the Lord, and not suffer ourselves to be oppressed witht eh cares of this world, for that is meet for the darkness of the night, and this for the light.[/i]

in regards to this verse:
[i]for they that sleep, sleep in the night, and they that be drunken are drunken in the night, but let us which are of the day, be sober, putting on the breast plate of faith and love, and the hope of salvation for an helmet.[/i]

Quote:
I do not think one will ever be able to avoid this temptation. It is all around us. Since this is the case we need to guard ourselves

yes, not only from those closest to us; but in every way. I have had on my mind this thing: that feels as though we have grown accustomed to the merchandising of our minds, as a society, and that merchandising is reaching into the bodies and souls of humanity. It happens every day all around us, and is a part of that work of Babylon which God will destroy in one day, and also which He has told us we must [i] Come out of her, My people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues...[/i]

In order to do that I must know what I may have a tendency to believe which is not from God. I must take responsabiity to stand in the light and allow God to search my heart to [i]see if there be any wicked way in me..[/i] those things which may end up spotting and wrinkling, soiling my garment.

Quote:
The enemy works to replace the satisfaction of God in our life with things and once we know how this functions, we will be able to guard ourselves against this deception.

Yes, the satisfaction, the belief, the honor due Him, and even the place that belongs to Him in our lives of God.

[i]for all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes and the pride of life is not of the Father, but is of the world.[/i]

Perhaps you know the old Hymn "Love not the world"?

2009/6/6 22:48Profile
Lor_E

Montana USA

Re:

Quote:
i used to work for a laser eye center, and their work on people's corneas was measured in microns. a micron is a thousandth of a millimeter!!! and if they were off just a micron, it could permanently damage the patient's eyesight. a thousandth...of a millimeter. think on that a second, it's so tiny it boggles the mind...

Wow, how very telling!!!
[i]The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light...[/i]

Quote:
please restore us who have just gone those microns away and suddenly woke up one day realizing we were scared and had wandered off into the forest alone...

Amen! a favorite song of mine says this:

[i]There were ninety and nine that safely laid in the shelter of the fold, but one was out on the hills away, far off from the gates of gold;
Away on the mountains wild and bare, away from the tender Shepherd's care...

"Lord, Thou hast here Thy ninety and nine; Are they not enough for Thee?" but the Shepherd made answer: "this of mine has wandered away from me, And altho' the road be rough and steep, I go to the desert to find my sheep,..."

But none of the ransomed ever knew How deep were the waters crossed; Nor how dark was the night that the Lord passed thro' Ere He found His sheep that was lost.
Out in the desert He heard its cry-
sick and helpless and ready to die...

But all thro' the mountain thunder riv'n, and up from the rocky steep,
There arose a glad cry from the gates of heav'n,
"Rejoice, I have found my sheep!" And the angels echoed around the throne, "Rejoice, for the Lord brings back His own! Rejoice, for the lord brings back His own."[/i]

Even all these years later, 25 of them, I still ask God that same prayer... and just the other day I was thinking about the changes which are coming on the earth, the things which concern me for my loved ones and the cares of this life which sometimes threaten to swallow me up... and God spoke to my heart these simple words: "You are my child."

Oh, sometimes a child that so headstrong goes the hard way to try to "get it done", then frustration, stress and fear start trying to pile up... but in those quiet moments with the Lord, and you hear the Holy Spirit whisper to your heart.... like a child my heart obeys Him, when He says, Peace, be still...

Eph 6:10

2009/6/6 23:15Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Lore asked: Perhaps you know the old Hymn "Love not the world"? Now this is one song I do not know, never heard of it...I know the scripture in Romans that discusses this concept.

Quote:
and i just wanted to love people my way, just a little; i was so weary and tired of fighting so hard all the time...and now, next thing i know, i am faced lately in so many ways with my compromise over the last several months to a year. God is so kind to show me this!!! it is His mercy!!! i hope for repentance...for me and for all others in this boat. there is no time for waiting for ourselves to grow up or for God to do some kind of a miracle on us when we really aren't that interested in repentance in sackcloth and ashes anyways. we must run screaming, grieving, pleading to Him!

Holly, the beauty of the mercy of God is his patience! He will enlighten you, redeem you, cleanse you - if you want it. Sister, I, too, have been deceived. It is an act of folly, if there ever is one. A person chooses to ignore truth and what makes it appealing is the number of others who do it and they seem to get along quite well, thank-you! And this is all part of the deception.

I must go now - my husband wants to use this computer...and you have a blessed day in the Lord!

ginnyrose

2009/6/6 23:25Profile
Lor_E

Montana USA

Re:

I tried to find it, it was on a Hymn sing, I believe that it was the David Cooper family that sang it.

Page 264 in the Christian Hymnary-Love not the world

Love not the world! Its dazzling show Conceals a snare of death;
The sweetest, joy earth can bestow, dies as a wasted breath.

Love not the world! its wealth, renown, The blood-bought soul enslaves;
Oh strive to win a heavenly crown, Which plumes of glory wave.

Love not the world! Its sin and strife Exceed the good and true;
Oh, consecrate to Christ your life! He drained death's cup for you.

Love not the world! Pure joys above all earthly things transcend;
In Jesus lose each idol love, and ever upward tend.

Love not the world! O Christian, hear, In shining words impearled,
Shall on your holy bow appear, "He did not love the world"

chorus: Love not the world is Juesus' plea, Sweet life to you He brought; Alone with death on Calvary, Your sin-lost soul he sought.

2009/6/7 0:41Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Hymn - Love not the world

Thank you for posting these words. Well worth meditation.

Praise Jesus

white stone

2009/6/7 10:50Profile
rainydaygirl

Re:

ginnyrose

I agree with what you wrote here, especially this part: "The devil will use loved ones - spouse, children, parents, siblings, friends to get us to doubt the LORD, question his Word. It is so easy for our loved ones to find a path into our hearts and deceive us because we love them so much and God surely would not damn such a fine person to hell! so says the enemy."
+++++++
This is a difficult truth to come to terms with, but one that I believe is really important. I am learning(and at times it is painful) that we must not put anyone above God in our life ever.

Thank you for sharing these words with us, I believe that Father had for you to share this with us. It is a very good reminder for me to be on my guard as well, even my own heart will seek to deceive me.
rdg

2009/6/7 12:56Profile
rainydaygirl

Re:

ginnyrose

I have reread what you shared here a few times and must say that I really have felt convicted this morning. So much of what you shared has really touched on some things that I have been struggling with. Recently I allowed myself to get caught up in going shopping with some of my friends. I did not go crazy spending money but I did end up buying two pairs of new shoes and several tops when i did not really need them.

This part that you wrote really opened my eyes to see where the attitude of my heart has been at: "There are a lot of merchants out there who want your money and will appeal to your vanity, pride to get it. The reality is that our bodies will not live forever in the form it is in - it is doomed to die, rot and stink so why spend money for something so perishable? So, you go back to square one: what is essential for life? Food, clothes, housing and love."
++++++++

I see that I have really been giving into vanity more then I even realized. Besides the shopping I recently paid to have my hair done,I wanted a knew trendy look for summer. Now I see how I was rationalizing some of this stuff and allowing myself to be deceived into the attitude that since my friends were spending and doing these things it must not be a huge big deal. I see now that I have really been wrapped up in the way that I look and wanting to have some of the latest clothing trends for the summer and "the look."

We really do need to be on guard daily and not allow ourselves to be deceived. I know I need that! I kept telling myself that its not a big deal to go to the mall, that I would just go along and not buy anything, but each time I would come back having bought something. I see now that I was really giving into temptation and ignoring what I knew to be true. I really want to be faithful to the Lord in this and I am so thankful that He lovingly opened my eyes to see this sin so that I may repent of this attitude and heart. I even found myself making excuses for the money that I spent, I see things so differently now.

Thanks to you and to the other posters for sharing
rdg

2009/6/7 14:25Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy