SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What we experienced at Barnsdall

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread

What we experienced at Barnsdall

What we experienced at Barnsdall this week represents revival. I believe this is what a revived church would look like. Time and time again people would come up to me and say "wouldn't it be marvelous if this were church." The sad thing is, that God would have it this way. He would gladly visit and stay with His children, in a corporate sense, if they were yielded to His authority, if He could have His way in their services.

The freedom that we felt at Barnsdall was tremendous. The freedom to speak as the Lord spoke to us. The Lord was given the time and space to speak through His people, and their was such consistancy in the words that came forward. From the speakers to the men and women who simply stood up and read out a Scripture or came forward and shared what the Lord had laid on their heart. Even the young people, as young as 14, standing up and praying out loud with passion, and all were edified. Isn't that the way its supposed to be? Isn't that the purpose of the gifts? "Ah," you say, "what if someone stood up and said something out of line?" "What if someone stood up and said something whacky? Two things. 1. There was such a genuine anointing from God, something said out of line would have been recognised right away. 2. It would simply have been addressed by the men of God.

There is such a hunger for genuine freedom in our churches. Not chaos, genuine freedom and with genuine freedom, when the Holy Spirit is in charge there is order. Perhaps it is time to cancel all programs and seek Him. If we seek to hear from Him, there must be time in our services where He is allowed to speak through His people.........Frank

2009/6/6 11:20
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: What we experienced at Barnsdall

Quote:
The freedom that we felt at Barnsdall was tremendous. The freedom to speak as the Lord spoke to us. The Lord was given the time and space to speak through His people, and their was such consistancy in the words that came forward.

Amen dear brother!!

2009/6/6 12:29Profile
JoanM

I am looking forward to carefully listening to the messages. Particularly those on prayer. (I heard them in pieces due to computer problems here.)

I hope Greg that you got my note on the duplicate posting of messages.

This encouragement to seek Him needs to be heard widely as I commented, understood and acted on. [url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=279&min=20&orderby=titleA&show=20]Praying for Revial by Richard Owen Roberts[/url]

Watchman Nee's devotional for June 6, 2009 was quite to your point Frank of the gathered body of Christ. (Sourse: owner-newsletter@c-f-p.com on behalf of Christian Fellowship Publishers)

[b]June 6th - The Lord My Portion by Watchman Nee[/b]

But we will not glory beyond our measure, but according to the measure of the province which God apportioned to us as a measure, to reach even unto you. 2 Corinthians 10.13.

Each servant of the Lord has a measure of the sphere of work which God has apportioned to him; each believer has a divinely-appointed course to finish. If each one will stand in his post, do his share of work, and finish his appointed course, what a glory shall be seen!

A huge pillar is certainly essential to a house, but a small nail is not any the less needed. How can the church be established if each one in the church aspires to be a great revivalist or a great evangelist or a great teacher? Ought we not walk in the course of the Lord’s will? We should not aim at a great thing; we should stand instead in the place of God’s choice. If He wants us to do a small work quietly, we are happy to do it. For God does not seek “great talent”; He uses whoever is usable. May we be willing to take our place under the divine appointment.

2009/6/6 13:25Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

Quote:

Quote:
The freedom that we felt at Barnsdall was tremendous. The freedom to speak as the Lord spoke to us. The Lord was given the time and space to speak through His people, and their was such consistancy in the words that came forward.

imagine if this freedom was the standard in the church, i am blessed to have been for the last year in such a setting, and it has so been raveled to me how having one man pastor will rob God and his children from so much good, to sit and listen to maybe 8-10 different people get up and speak along the same burden, same red line for two three hours and afterwards you have not looked once on your watch, not felt bored just a longing for God. I am glad you experienced Gods moving there.

Even as i was not there, something was different this year for the better i can sense. I was very blessed by Alan Martins singing and preaching...

Thank you for making it available brother Greg.

2009/6/6 13:36Profile

Re:

"how having one man pastor will rob God and his children from so much good, to sit and listen to maybe 8-10 different people get up and speak along the same burden, same red line for two three hours and afterwards you have not looked once on your watch, not felt bored just a longing for God."

Amen, yes and amen. God is no respector of persons, He uses whom He will when and how He chooses. We see in the choosing of a king how wrong the people get it and would have been wrong again if they had judged by outward appearances. Often times things are not always as they seem, but the Lord(dont you love that phrase, "but the Lord.") He knows, and if we allow Him the pre-emminence then He will glorify Himself and reveal Himself. Men vie for dominace. The meaning of the word "vie," is "To strive for victory or superiority; contend." We must avoid that at all costs in our meetings for it is the opposite of humility. There is "vie," and then there is "yield." To yield is one of the keys to revival, starting at leadership and working its way down..............Frank

2009/6/6 15:06
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

One thing that struck me particularly amazing about the entire thing was that such an "open church" happened with well over 100 or more people at a time. I've been told time and time again by many leaders that such an open format is not possible in such a large setting, otherwise disorder and chaos would enter the fray. I've always believed such was a lie from hell, and I firmly believe that such was actually demonstrated by the Lord Himself at this conference as a lie from hell. When God's glory is there and is consciously at risk of being wrongly touched, had there been 10,000 saints there, I believe this type of meeting would still have been possible.

2009/6/6 15:13Profile
tkbart

Toronto, ON

Frank writes:
"The freedom that we felt at Barnsdall was tremendous. The freedom to speak as the Lord spoke to us. The Lord was given the time & space to speak through His people, & there was such consistency in the words that came forward...There is such a hunger for genuine freedom in our churches."

Amen Brother!

This aspect is so important because all God's people are Priests (not only the one's in paid positions) as well, of course, as being Body. The whole body needs to function, not just an extremely limited part of it.

Along with this important aspect, there were 2 other qualities about Barnsdall that need to be highlighted.

Having started my journey of faith from out of the charismatic renewal of the '70s, I knew the privilege of seeing the Spirit work in power, of seeing the gifts in free operation, & of encountering genuine worship (not just singing).

As I stood in the main hall with all the others this past Thursday night, completely engulfed in the presence, the power & the unfettered Joy of the Lord because HE HAD COME (in what, should be noted, is His normal fullness) I reflected back on what the differences were between this time, & the time in the '70s, in His Church.

In a sentence — renewal has grown up!

The 2 other aspects we had, that were so often not present in the '70s (leadership was still trying to figure out what to do with this Spirit that had been poured out & often lost their way) were:

1. Solid Teaching & Doctrine (from men who have first known utter surrender) &
2. Wise Leadership (from previously broken and thus humble as well as discerning men)

These 2 aspects, combined with the presence & power of the Holy Spirit, make for a dangerous mix in His house! You'll either break free, be broken in order to be freed, or — flee!

There were of course other unique & wonderful things that comprised this week at Barnsdall:

• the praying intercessors who have met for many months together, crying out to God with desperate longing for Him to come

• the tremendous unity amongst so many different cross sections of His Body, including the institutional church & the house church; the gifts practising & gifts unitiated; old order Christianity & newer order Christianity; well educated & less educated; long-churched & the newly churched; youth & older ones: all given the grace & the space to participate together, in true Christian humility & love.

And there was the Servant Church of the people of First Baptist Church, Barnsdall, who labored to provide everything at no charge to His people, including all meals, much lodging, etc.

Undergirding all these lies the stubborn conviction of one man. Three years ago or more, before the 1st Revival Conference was launched at others’ request, he knew he could not cave in to marketing, to selling, to profiting, or to not trusting the Lord to provide everything freely and offer everything freely. We thank God for that little blade of grass that He’s raised up behind Sermon Index.

No offerings were taken, no monies collected. All materials were given away freely, including the final, professional, CD copies of the messages. The videos, in similar fashion, are on their way.

By now you're getting the picture.

It wasn’t a bit of heaven, it was heaven.

This is eternal life that they may know Thee, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom Thou hast sent. Jn 17:3

A lot of knowing happened this week in Barnsdall, in full-bodied, biblically empowered & true Spirit-birthed sense, and not only in the declared preaching, as excellent as that was.

Some leaders have long recognized that the Church has for too long focused on getting people into heaven, while ignoring getting heaven into people. We need both.

We’ll never be freed or equipped to live fully for the glory of God, until the presence of God dwells in His temple again—in us, His living stones.

If God will take something of the gifts, the convictions & the deposit that was released at Barnsdall, & continue to fuel & form it out into little pockets of believers here & there across this land (and in His grace continue to allow such giftings and deposits to be brought together from time to time) God will soon have Himself a Living Church again. Even here, in North America.

Though that church may remain small, unnoticed, & unadvertised (I pray that it will) that church may very well accomplish more good from out of her baby toe than all the known, large, productive and advertised churches, combined. As I say that, I realize that this church may very well be the little baby toe, of His overall Church. Happy thought.

If this sounds like an overstatement to some readers, you need to find the next Barnsdall, and then watch for the fruit that comes out from it after. And pray for discernment in your fruit-looking, because a lot of fruit – sadly – isn’t recognized til later years in history.

God, we thank You so much for what You did in Barnsdall. You know that our prayer is indeed for Your glory, and for Your Son’s honor, by Your Spirit’s power. Continue to give us all grace, humility, thirst, and wisdom, to seek for You honestly, to give ourselves up to Christ humbly, and to welcome the Holy Spirit as He comes wholly.

In Jesus incredible name we pray. Amen

TK / theCHRISTway.org
--a forming community mission that aims - through the gifts of the Body at large combined with focussed engagement together --to reach down deep into the forgotten spots of our faith's heritage and reclaim the Life that is life indeed

2009/6/6 15:25Profile

Re:

If I were a reader on this site, I would study carefully what the last two posters wrote. Kingjimmy and Naomi are correct. They have rightly identified many aspects of what happened at Barnsdall and what hinders any church from being free. Naomi writes......

" the tremendous unity amongst so many different cross sections of His Body, including the institutional church & the house church; the gifts practising & gifts unitiated; old order Christianity & newer order Christianity; well educated & less educated; long-churched & the newly churched; youth & older ones: all given the grace & the space to participate together, in true Christian humility & love."

Amen. King Jimmy wrote that this kind of meeting could happen with a crowd of 10,000. Amen brother, yes it could. With yielded hearts and spirits and the katanusso power of the Holy Spirit to enter the hearts of man, whether it is the speaker or the hearer, then all things would be possible.............Frank

PS For those of you who do not understand what we are talking about when we talk about "Katanusso," here is an article that may help...

http://scottishwarriors.wordpress.com/2008/05/27/stabbed-in-the-heartbaptism-in-the-holy-spirit/

2009/6/6 19:55
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Our one sister brought up a great point that I think was noticed by everybody at the conference, and indeed, made for fertile ground for which the Holy Spirit to operate, and that is this: hospitality. The church and Barnsdale truly took on a servant heart as the homes of many were opened for us all. We were warmly received in the name of the Lord, and, I imagined that such a reception is what the apostle Paul wrote about from time to time.

Though the people of that church clearly bent over backwards and went out of their way to do what they did, never once did I ever get the impression from any of them that they felt inconvenienced by doing the things they did. I was personally picked up by one sister at the airport in Tulsa. The associate pastor and his wife personally fed me lunch that afternoon and allowed me to check my e-mail on their computer. The Marvin family, folks from another church down the street, graciously allowed me to stay in their guest house on their ranch, and allowed me and my roommate to use their pickup truck to come and go as we pleased. Another individual drove us around when we first arrived as well. And if all this were not enough, a scrumptious feast was prepared every single day for every single meal at the church. Finally, the associate pastor drove me back to the airport even though I had to leave a few hours early from the conference.

All of this, I believe was absolutely crucial to providing fertile soil for the Holy Spirit to do His work, as experienced in the proclaimed word and in our times of worship. I am a Pentecostal and believe in and speak in tongues. Yet this week I was so impressed that when I came back and talked to my pastor, I told him that at this conference I was all the more convinced than I was before that there are clearly "Spirit-filled" believers out there who have never even spoken in tongues. That may wreck our Pentecostal theology, but it is a truth I am convinced of just the same.

2009/6/6 21:43Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Also, a praise report from the Barnsdale Revival Conference: I really have had an unbroken sense of the Lord's presence since the conference, and felt it tonight when I was able to preach at a conference my church was putting on, "The Pillars Conference."

I felt so humbled to stand before the men of my church, and to preach a message on being "fathers of faith." All the men, except one, were easily 10-40 years older than me. The Lord really has moved at our conference as well, and the presence of the Lord has been very sweet. The speaker that spoke after me, having no idea on what I was going to preach on tonight, ended up preaching on one of the same primary texts I preached from. He already had that passage in his notes of all things! God really spoke a word of requirement to us as a church.

2009/6/6 22:00Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy