Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Praying in tongues

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
Theophila

Re:

Hi Heartsong,
Way back in college, I belonged to a fellowship of believers. It pretty much ran like a church as it was our primary/only place of fellowship
I knew a sister who the Lord used in an interesting way: when someone gave a message/word in a supernatural language/tongues, [which wasn't regular], she would interpret what they said in English. There was always a witness in my spirit that it was the Holy Ghost.
She wasn't superspiritual in any way, but you know when you're in the presence of one who enjoys intimate fellowship with the Lord. She was like that.
I haven't met anyone who the Lord uses like that in recent years though....

2009/6/9 13:23Profile
Lysa

This world is not my home anymore.

Re:

Quote:
HeartSong wrote:
While I have talked to a few people that speak in tongues, I have yet to meet anyone that interprets tongues. ...I have no doubt that one of these days the Lord will show me.

That is a wonderful positive attitude to have, faithful! Also, the same goes for me HeartSong about not meeting those who interpret tongues but I don’t think the problem is so much that there aren’t any who [b]“can’t”[/b] interpret the gift of tongues as there are those who are [b]unsure[/b] of themselves and their gift.

In all honesty, if we read back over this thread; some of us aren’t sure we received the gift of tongues so if we are unsure on that aspect, how many more could be out there that might be unsure of their gift of interpretation? And because of that, a message in tongues might go uninterpreted? I don’t know, it’s just a question.

It’s a question because I know I’ve squashed the gift of prophecy because of wanting to [b]make sure[/b] it was God!! LOL I know I’ve got to trust God with His words and not mine.

(Paraphrased) Lord, let us - [i]...give diligence to make our calling and election sure: for if we do these things, we shall never fall:[/i]
2 Peter 1.10

God bless us as we become more confident in our walk and calling in the Lord!!

2009/6/9 21:30Profile
Lysa

Re: Praying in tongues

Quote:
DeepThinker
There are teachings out there that one receives the Holy Spirit when they "Believe." I wonder why the devils don't get the Holy Ghost for it says they "believe and tremble".

This is an excellent “out-of-the-box” observation!! So, one conclusion could be that it does indeed take more than believing. Perhaps, it’s [b]yielding[/b]? We know that devils do not yield to the Lord, per se. They must flee and I don’t believe that that is the same as yielding. Yielding implies submission. Interesting... you got me thinking DeepThinker!!

God bless,

2009/6/9 21:52Profile
Lysa

Re: Praying in tongues

An article / sermon by Zac Poonen:
[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=23346][b][i]Baptism of the Holy Spirit[/i][/b][/url]

A different article by Zac Poonen:

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=18335][b][i]Our New-Covenant Birthright[/b][/i][/url]

Under the old covenant, the Holy Spirit came only upon certain people, to enable them to fulfil a specific task for God. Under the new covenant, however, the Holy Spirit can be received by all. He has come to show us the glory of Jesus and to transform us into His likeness.

John the Baptist pointed to two ministries that Jesus would fulfil - one was to take away sins and the other was to baptize people in the Holy Spirit (Jn. 1:29,33). We need to experience both of these.

The first promise in the New Testament is: "He will save His people from their sins" (Matt. 1:21). The second promise in the New Testament is: "He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit" (Matt. 3:11).

It's significant that the New Testament opens with these two promises. This was the beginning of a new era in God's dealings with man - the new covenant. This is then our double birthright as children of God - to be saved from our sins and to be baptized in the Holy Spirit. And God certainly wants to give us our full birthright - not just half of it.

The first five books of the New Testament each begin with the promise of the baptism in the Holy Spirit (Matt. 3:11; Mk. 1:8; Lk. 3:16; Jn. 1:33; Acts 1:5). Yet so many Christians have neglected to claim this for themselves.

2009/6/9 22:06Profile
Theophila

Re: Deep Thinker

...the devils believe and tremble...I believe that Scripture refers to those who believe God exists out where somewhere and wish to go no further.
The devils believe and tremble because they have known His awful holiness and want no part of it.
We, however, not only believe Him to be, we also believe on Him as our Savior and are increasing in that revelation till we see Him.

2009/6/10 7:22Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy