SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Camping trip up north ;)

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Camping trip up north ;)

[b]Sibbal Point Provincal Park[/b]

[img]http://www.sermonindex.net/images/forum/2004/august/sp003.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.sermonindex.net/images/forum/2004/august/sp004.jpg[/img]

I left yesterday at about 4pm and went for a drive up north with a missionary friend from my church who is going to India this next week to get married and do mission work there. We drove about 2 hours north of Toronto and went to a small ontario provincal park. We got there at sundown and had to put up the tent in the dark.

We then decided to go for a swin in Lake Simicoe which was about 5 mins walk away from our tent. It was so great to swim in fresh water, it was pretty cold and it was dark outside, but not pitch-black because there was an almost full moon which had a beautiful reflection on the water.

We got back to the tent and decided to start a fire for hot choclate and tea. One hour later the fire by Gods grace was lite (It rained the night before and they sold us wet wood hehe) but all the toil was worth it.

We had a nice time of prayer and had a wonderful sleep. In the morning we got the fire going faster :-P and had a small devotional and prayer time. Then we backed up and drove back to the city.

--

The reason I am sharing this is that even just to spend one night up in the woods in Gods nature really was a blessing. I am God-willing going to try and do it at least monthly, what a wonderful way to get away and quiet yourself before God. I really recommend that you try and take the opportunity even though you might not be a camp type of person.

The change from the concrete 2.5 million person city to a sparse wooded area without any sounds except the animals (including a raccon that stole my KFC chicken and was in the tree chewing on the bone taunting me with it, I wish I had the camera to prove it).

I might be able to get a few photos up from my friends camera. If anyone else gets away up into the woods it would be nice to hear your experience and if it was a blessing spiritually to you. I feel much more refreshed spiritually and emotionally.

2004/8/27 15:29Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: Camping trip up north ;)

you see there's that old colonial pioneering spirit again. Power boats, wood to buy, KFC chicken, sounds like the old days alright! :-D

2004/8/27 15:48Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
you see there's that old colonial pioneering spirit again. Power boats, wood to buy, KFC chicken, sounds like the old days alright!

lol I didnt partake of those evils.. I stayed true to sense of camping out.. except for the KFC craving before we got to the camp.. but God did quick work of that through his little furry friends.

2004/8/27 16:05Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

"you see there's that old colonial pioneering spirit again. Power boats, wood to buy, KFC chicken, sounds like the old days alright!"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ron, we have a term for that style of camping;
Flatlanders! :-)

Greg, a great escape from all the noise, I hear ya there. The times when I have been able to escape up to the Gold Country have been nothing short of bliss, the silence is truely golden. It's as if time changes, all the burden of living in Sodom is left behind...yes, flatlander or not, if you can get away your spirit will thank you for it.

about that wood....

[i]1Ki 18:33 And he put the wood in order, and cut the bullock in pieces, and laid him on the wood, and said, Fill four barrels with water, and pour it on the burnt sacrifice, and on the wood.
1Ki 18:34 And he said, Do it the second time. And they did it the second time. And he said, Do it the third time. And they did it the third time.
1Ki 18:35 And the water ran round about the altar; and he filled the trench also with water.
1Ki 18:36 And it came to pass at the time of the offering of the evening sacrifice, that Elijah the prophet came near, and said, LORD God of Abraham, Isaac, and of Israel, let it be known this day that thou art God in Israel, and that I am thy servant, and that I have done all these things at thy word.
1Ki 18:37 Hear me, O LORD, hear me, that this people may know that thou art the LORD God, and that thou hast turned their heart back again.
1Ki 18:38 Then the fire of the LORD fell, and consumed the burnt sacrifice, and the wood, and the stones, and the dust, and licked up the water that was in the trench.[/i]

2004/8/28 9:42Profile
Yodi

Escondido, California

Re: Camping trip up north ;)

Hmmm... I don't have any camping experiences, but I do have a "getting away into the woods" experience to share. Actually... I already shared it in a Puget Sound, WA topic I started back in May/June. I guess in summation, getting away from the daily norm, I believe, allows God to... clean house, starting in your heart. You start realizing that you've allowed blockades in your life that have kept you from getting closer to God. You maybe start to see unhealed wounds from past hardships and heartbreaks that still need God's healing touch. The time could end up being so personal that you leave with a very tender, softened heart that's been touched by our loving God.

2004/9/9 18:24Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
You maybe start to see unhealed wounds from past hardships and heartbreaks that still need God's healing touch. The time could end up being so personal that you leave with a very tender, softened heart that's been touched by our loving God.

Yes I find also that it demans that we slow down away from all the buzz of traffic and computers. It gets us to realize what really matters and thats knowing the God that creating the world and ourselves. Thanks yolanda for bringing this up now I want to go north again arghh :-P hehe

2004/9/9 18:30Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy