Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Todays proverb

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re: Todays proverb

Pro 6:16 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:

from Gills commentary;

Pro 6:16 These six things doth the Lord hate,.... That is, the six following, which are all to be found in a man of Belial, a wicked man before described. There are other things besides these that God hates, and indeed more so; as sins against the first table, which more immediately strike at his being, horror, and glory; these being such as are against the second table, but are mentioned, as more especially appearing in the character of the above person; and must be hateful to God, as contrary to his nature, will, and law;

yea, seven are an abomination unto him; or, "the abomination of his soul" (c); what his soul abhors, or he abhors from his very heart: meaning not seven others, but one more along with the six, which make seven; a like way of speaking, see in Pro_30:15. Nor is the word "abomination" to be restrained to the "seventh", or "hatred" to the "sixth"; but they are all to be supposed to be hateful and abominable to the Lord; though some think the cardinal number is put for the ordinal, "seven" for the "seventh"; as if the seventh, which is sowing discord among brethren, was of all the most abominable, Pro_6:19; it being what was last mentioned in the character of the wicked man, Pro_6:14; and which seems to have given occasion to, and for the sake of which this enumeration is made.

(c) תועבות נפשו "abominatio ejus animae", Montanus, Vatablus, Mercerus, Cocceius, Michaelis, Schultens.

2009/10/6 15:28Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

"A froward man soweth strife: and a whisperer separateth chief friends."

- Proverbs 16:28(KJV)

I was reminded of this proverb today, chiefly as I was thinking about a word in Galatians 5, which, according to the greek dictionary has the meaning of [i]intrique[/i]. It is rendered as [i]strife[/i] in the KJV, but Strong's defines it primarily as "intrigue", and by implication then, as a faction, or what causes them. The sense of it that I have is this: any setting forth of disputing facts or controversy(especially by way of rumor or secret discussion) that sets people against each other or divides them into factions. Especially that which works upon suspicion and distrust.

The word appears among 'a cluster of bad fruit' if you will, such as(I will give the KJV rendering first, and then a word from the greek dictionaries definition):variance(a quarrel), emulations(heat),wrath(passion), strife(intruige), seditions(disunion), heresies(a choice).

And in our proverb above, it looks as though at least two, or three, of these are combined together, the one producing the other.

A froward man, that goes around telling secrets, or repeating things 'he has heard', perhaps they may even be true things, someone that goes about whispering things into the ears of others, he sows strife. And he seperates even the best of friends.

And how much worse would it be to seperate and divide up the people of God.

2010/1/9 11:53Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

Pro 7:3 Bind them on your fingers; write them on the tablet of your heart.

Bind them upon thy fingers,.... Let the above words and doctrines be as ready and familiar as if they were at the fingers' ends; or let them be always fresh in memory, as a piece of thread is tied about the fingers, to put in mind of anything to be done; or let them be as rings upon the fingers, both memorial and ornamental: or put into practice the things taught and commanded; the fingers being the instruments of action, and especially of doing things nicely and accurately;

write them upon the table of thine heart; that they may be strong in the memory, deep in the affection, and abiding in the understanding and will; see Pro_3:3. ~-Gill

2010/12/7 15:53Profile
MyVeryHeart

Paradise, California

Re:

Indeed, it is useless to spread the baited net In the sight of any bird.But they lie in wait for their own blood; They ambush their own lives. (Proverbs 1:17-18)

The essence of the expression is repeated In Psalm 7 verse 15: "He has dug a pit and hollowed it out, And has fallen into the hole which he made." When Jonathan and his armor bearer confronted the Philistines, some of those in the camp of the Philistines said to them "Come up to us, and we will show you a thing." And Jonathan said to his armor-bearer, "Come up after me, for the LORD has given them into the hand of Israel."(1 Samuel 14:12) So Bretheren, in light of this lets not lay traps for each other. But instead let us seek to edify each other, building each other up in the holy faith of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Grace and Peace to all in Christ Jesus.

2010/12/7 16:18Profile
MyVeryHeart

Paradise, California

The LORD by wisdom founded the earth, By understanding He established the heavens. (Proverbs 3:19)

As you read these words a very orderly complex set of chemical and electrical reactions are occurring in you brain as it interprets the effect different wavelengths of light are having upon your eye. David says "I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are Your works, And my soul knows it very well." (Psalm 139:14).This same complexity and order that occurs in us is also seen in the heavens that are arranged so precisely. The gravitational forces that keep earth at such a distance from the sun as to provide a perfect place for us to dwell was precisely ordered by God in his infinite wisdom and understanding. And of the Lord Jesus it is said that "For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things have been created through Him and for Him. He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.(Colossians 1:16-17). And this same Jesus who the majesty of the universe was created for and holds together in Him,"Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross." (Philippians 2:8) And in Jesus Christ we have forgiveness of sins and redemption for he has made peace through the blood of the cross. He is worth of worship! The lamb who was slain from the foundation of the world! Worthy is the Lamb!

2010/12/8 17:57Profile
MyVeryHeart

Paradise, California

Let your eyes look directly forward, and your gaze be straight before you.(Proverbs 4:25)

The enemy may trouble us with memories of our sinful past but we must fix our eyes heavenward as we walk on the Highway of Holiness. Like the apostle Paul we are "forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead". With our gaze fixed on eternity we "press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." As Jesus was in the world we are in the world but we are not of the world. We are pilgrims and sojourners and our path is "like the light of dawn, which shines brighter and brighter until full day."(Proverbs 4:18)

2010/12/9 10:13Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy