SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Todays proverb

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
dohzman

Re: good place to start

I think what disturbs me most about the topic of the Fear of the Lord is that most people, even in christian circles
equate the fear of the Lord with being afraid of the Lord. That's two very different things. A healthy fear of God is not
the same as being afraid of something, being afraid of something is binding, the word of God says that where the Spirit of the Lord is there is
liberty. The fear of the Lord is to hate evil and every act of disobedience, to love and hold in the highest esteem, reverence and honor "the ONE"
in whom we have place our deepest love and trust for. How could we not fear God, for thats the bed rock, the very foundation of our faith and
grounds for blessing and mutual relationship with the Spirit of truth. In the fear of God we learn who He is and in learning
who He is we are changed and become like Him. Like Him not only in holiness, or wholeness, but in vision, empowerment and daily purpose.
In the fear of the Lord we nurture the son to the Father or daughter to the Father relationship. So we see in proverbs one
a healthy fear of God verses the ones who have no reguard for His personal instruction. That is the begining, without which
there can be no salvation because there will be no foundation upon which to build, if the foundations be destroyed what can the righteous do?

2009/6/6 9:26Profile
dohzman

Re: Todays proverb

Proverbs 6 I so enjoy the "my son" in proverbs. I once had an older brother in the Lord tell after a meeting that it is good to keep the hay down low enough for the cattle to eat. Many preachers cater to intellectual giants and sound good but have little or no actual impact since most of thier listners don't understand what is really being said. The Lord places the hay nice and low here.
After seeing what God hates He says, "my son" again, how personal is that! Why would he continually bring it down to vs 20-23? This will continue to become a recurring theme.

I have to laugh because I can see our Heavenly Father standing there with a grin as He speaks this chapter to us, than at verse 24 He slowly turns His face to a more serious look as He warns us of the world and sins of the flesh and how man kind is wired mentally. There is so much here its amazing, one could truly stand at thier window and observe a young man/lady without understanding.
BTW Just read through the descriptives that are given to the world and its lusts. Every act every decission we make can be measured against these adjectives here to see if we are truely trusting in the Lord.

2009/6/6 9:54Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

thank you brother, i never noticed how often "my son" occurs, truly amazing to see now, a total new freshness over this chapter. Gods love and directions, also i think the emphasis here on the word of God, hide in our hearts, that we may be alert and prepared when the world, satan, and flesh comes knocking.

faith..... and the word

my son..... precius

2009/6/6 12:20Profile
dohzman

Re: Todays proverb 7

I have often wondered with all this calvinist doc verses Arminism(sp?) doc or reformed what exactly is the manward side in this whole gospel, word of God thing. I have found here in the first 5 verses my answer>>kjv keep, lay up,bind write say..... There is a certain agreement with the voice and written Word of God we must come to, it always amazes me how infinately personal God makes His Word, but He follows it with : 22 chapters of warning and character descriptions on DECEPTION and seduction
Sure if one takes it literal its speaks of adultry, but if that were not bad enough it also speaks of religious adultry, James mentions this, but in verse 24 Our Father who art in Heaven, speaks to HIS little children with His voice, how personal is that!

I know we often wonder what deception look like, here we see it wide out in the open and fully exposed Pro 7:24 Hearken unto me now therefore, O ye children, and attend to the words of my mouth.
ASV Pro 7:24 Now therefore, my sons, hearken unto me, And attend to the words of my mouth.
YLT Pro 7:24 And now, ye sons, hearken to me, And give attention to sayings of my mouth.
Attend.....How much more could we want for His very Words are life.

2009/6/7 21:44Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Pro 16:5 Every one that is proud in heart is an abomination to the Lord: though hand join in hand, he shall not be unpunished.

It came fore me that all pride is evil, wheter it is for my doings in life, my position over other men, pride over what color my skin is, what place i have in the society ect, but also a much greater pride is spiritual pride, maybe i take great pride in the fact i understand the word much better then many others? or that God has used me to some measure more then others as in what the eye can see.

If this is so i am already deceived and have already fallen.

But what came to me in this verse was non of these prides, but the pride that makes men join hand in hand, pride for our country, for our fotball team, hockey team or whatever, this pride stireth up emotions and feeds the flesh in us and makes us carnal. Pride puts us under the condemnation of the devil 1 tim 3:6 .

And in isa 28:1 God pronounce WOE to the crown of pride, and when i read that verse in comparison to 1 jo 2:16 .... the pride of life....

All such pride are not from God, yet i sometimes have feelt or taken pride in something by men viewed upon as "good" and not very sinful or bad, but God says WOE to all pride. Be it for our country, our position, our achievements or whatever.... WOE to those who have pride living in their hearts

All such prides are abominations to God.

2009/6/16 15:19Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Pro 17:27 He who has knowledge spares his words And a man of understanding is of a calm spirit.

I think this proverb shows us much, also in discussing religius matters, there are many including myself that has many a times been much everything else then of a "calm spirit" , and when defending what we consider to be the truth been speaking much more then a man who "spares his words"...

we should and are exhorted to stand up for the truth, and to give an account of what we believe, but much discussion, even that for the truth and right doctrines can be of a "heated spirit and of many words and cause division and confusion more then it speaks Christ.

So we need to search our hearts to see why is the real motive behind our much speaking and why does our spirit not rest in calmness? there is such a thing as grief and holy anger , it might be a valid state if it is under the same situation as when our Lord himself felt these, but so often we are men and woman of many words and a very upstirred spirit for many other reasons, one is that we "want to be right". Even when we are right and someone says we are not, we want to explain and make them understand this. But those who truly have knowledge of God and the right doctrines will be men of few words, they will give an account of what they believe and why they believe, but those who only want to be right and continue to discuss and discuss even when the other part are not willing to listen. Then such knowledge is fleshly and carnal and far from spiritual.... even if it is a true and right knowledge.

True spiritual men and women, that are mature in the faith will not be excited and emotional when discussing what they believe to those we believe are deceived or hold a faulty doctrine. When we are in such a state we need to check our spirit and se wheter it is just for the sake of being right, in this lies a secret pride, that "I" want to be right. we might well be...

But we should give the more consideration to Jam 1:19 , so much of correct doctrine and very fervent zeal in defending the truth we perceive from scripture does not produce the righteousness of God.

2009/6/17 2:43Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Casting lots causes contentions to cease, And keeps the mighty apart. (Pro 18:18 NKJ)

I say we cast lots concerning things that cause contentions, i liked NLT how it put this verse

Casting lots can end arguments; it settles disputes between powerful opponents. (Pro 18:18 NLT)

so if we could gather the calvinist and arminians and just simply cast lot and whoever wins are right and everything will be ok :-P

2009/6/18 10:45Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

"He loveth transgression that loveth strife: [i]and[/i] he that exalteth his gate seeketh destruction."

- Proverbs 17:19(KJV)

I came across this today and was really struck by it and the connection that it appears to make between self-seeking(exalts his gate) and strife. It reminded me very much of James 3:13-16.

Then just a moment ago I was looking for something and came across an article on Love. The author was writting about how love does not envy and how envy eats away at sweetness and leaves us with an empty shell of religous profession.

2009/6/27 10:50Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Proverbs 28:26 He who trusts in his own heart is a fool, But whoever walks wisely will be delivered. (Pro 28:26 NKJ)

Here is, 1. The character of a fool: He trusts to his own heart, to his own wisdom and counsels, his own strength and sufficiency, his own merit and righteousness, and the good opinion he has of himself; he that does so is a fool, for he trusts to that, not only which is deceitful above all things (Jer_17:9), but which has often deceived him. This implies that it is the character of a wise man (as before, Pro_28:25) to put his trust in the Lord, and in his power and promise, and to follow his guidance, Pro_3:5, Pro_3:6. 2. The comfort of a wise man: He that walks wisely, that trusts not to his own heart, but is humble and self-diffident, and goes on in the strength of the Lord God, he shall be delivered; when the fool, that trusts in his own heart, shall be destroyed.
-MHC

2009/7/28 15:20Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

. 9 But you, lazybones, how long will you sleep? When will you wake up? 10 A little extra sleep, a little more slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest -- 11 then poverty will pounce on you like a bandit; scarcity will attack you like an armed robber. (Pro 6:9-11 NLT)

I have noticed in my life that in times of spiritual laziness, periods of times when i am sluggish with my quite times and do not spent the amount of time given to me by God to diligently seek him. That the effect are not seen immediately, but rather when the "winter" comes, if we lay up in our "spiritual" store houses then when the temptation comes, when we have a dry period in our walk, we will stand firmer and more securely without falling so easily, but if negligent and sloppy in the abundant times, then we will surely fall and fail in times of famine.

Like an armed robber comes without warning, so does our failure in carry our cross, our strength to lift if daily in any given situation will be so small because we have for some time before been very lazy in spiritual matters.

[i]The lesson that is to be learned. In general, learn wisdom, consider, and be wise; that is the thing we are to aim at in all our learning, not only to be knowing, but to be wise. In particular, learn to provide meat in summer; that is, (1.) We must prepare for hereafter, and not mind the present time only, not eat up all, and lay up nothing, but in gathering time treasure up for a spending time. Thus provident we must be in our worldly affairs, not with an anxious care, but with a prudent foresight; lay in for winter, for straits and wants that may happen, and for old age; much more in the affairs of our souls. We must provide meat and food, that which is substantial and will stand us in stead, and which we shall most need. In the enjoyment of the means of grace provide for the want of them, in life for death, in time for eternity; in the state of probation and preparation we must provide for the state of retribution. (2.) We must take pains, and labour in our business, yea, though we labour under inconveniences. Even in summer, when the weather is hot, the ant is busy in gathering food and laying it up, and does not indulge her ease, nor take her pleasure, as the grasshopper, that sings and sports in the summer and then perishes in the winter. The ants help one another; if one have a grain of corn too big for her to carry home, her neighbours will come in to her assistance. (3.) We must improve opportunities, we must gather when it is to be had, as the ant does in summer and harvest, in the proper time. It is our wisdom to improve the season while that favours us, because that may be done then which cannot be done at all, or not so well done, at another time. Walk while you have the light.[/i] MHC

2009/10/6 1:20Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy