SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Can one be truly saved and not believe that hell is for sinners?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Justus2320

Brownsville TX

Can one be truly saved and not believe that hell is for sinners?

Recently I found out that someone whom I deeply care for does not believe that hell is for sinners. Basically this person believes that hell is strictly for the devil and his angels.This person does believe in Christ and the finished work of the cross as the only means of salvation. For the most part you could say that this person is a well saved person and in fact seems to walk with God. So my question is can one be truly saved, live what seems a righteous life, not believe that hell is an eternal place of torment for sinners, and still make it to heaven.

2009/5/28 2:48Profile
davym

Re: Can one be truly saved and not believe that hell is for sinners?

Quote:
So my question is can one be truly saved, live what seems a righteous life, not believe that hell is an eternal place of torment for sinners, and still make it to heaven.

To state the obvious in your question. If one is truly saved, one will go to heaven. As for hell being a place for sinners. Well,we must remember that we are all sinners (Romans 3:23)and all deserve hell. It is only through Christ that anyone can be saved.

Quote:
This person does believe in Christ and the finished work of the cross as the only means of salvation.

If this is the case then what does this person believe happens to the unsaved when they die?

2009/5/28 4:12Profile
bible4life

Locport, Illinois

Re:

Well your friend is wrong first of all, hell is for the devil and his angels but also those who our not truly converted by jesus christ or who our not saved, who reject him.That is biblical, ask him if he wants to believe what the bible says or what he wants to believe, honor god or himself. Can he be saved i don't know but ask someone who truly been born again and i am sure they will tell you what the holy spirit says to them about that question.Show your friend that he is wrong through the scriptures because he is, and your question if he still be born again i don't know if he is, but i am gueing he can believe still, but led away by false belief yes, we all have something during our walk that has had to be changed or rebuked because it was false doctrine, so he might just not know better, but lead him to the truth even if he seems to be wise.

2009/5/28 12:30Profile

They believe in Christ and His finished work on the cross... yet they reject the clear teachings of God's Word? Not sure how that is possible.

Krispy

2009/5/28 12:51
Elationist

I would love to encourage you to be concerned for believers who question good biblical, historical theology such as the Doctrine of Hell.

I recommend Dr. Erwin Lutzer's book, either audio CD or the book, "One Minute After You Die", excellent, short read that is not only for those who are in Christ, but a great way to explain more difficult and sensitive doctrines such as Heaven and Hell. :-)

Matthew 25:46, Revelation 20:11-15 (whole chapter) esp. 11-15 And of course the true story about Lazarus & the Rich Man Luke 16 Jesus' own words again and again. Be gentle and be sure not to damage the fruit before it ripens and trust the Holy Spirit to explain and do the teaching as you direct them to Scripture and good biblical resources.

To answer your question directly: I do believe that many (if not most or all of us--those in Christ) people have few or even several false understandings on many doctrines and issues concerning other than the true nature of God, and we will be in heaven to understand them fully, finally. Nevertheless, Titus 2:7 (NKJV)
"in all things showing yourself to be a pattern of good works; in doctrine showing integrity, reverence, incorruptibility,"

God bless you. :-)

2009/5/28 13:19Profile

why doesnt everybody just do this:

as Paul wrote:

12Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, 13for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure. Phil 2:12-13

so, my question is this; what will you do or say to this dear someone to convince them otherwise?

of course you can point them to the Word, and if they are of an open and submissive spirit, their eyes will be opened, but if not , what then?

arguing? thats not a fruitful ministry. Its just like this forum, witness it for yourself, men and women arguing over divisive "doctrine", all wanting and striving to be right, such a shame, such a waste.

All you have to do and should do is gently steer such brethern to applicable Scripture, and leave it at that, on the human level, while you pray on the Heavenly level that God opens the ears of their heart. Avoid arguing....or should I say "apologetics", which is a ministry frequently found wanting.

neil

2009/5/28 13:28
Justus2320

Brownsville TX

Re: what happens to the unsaved

my friend believes the unsaved just sleep forever or cease to live or exist

2009/5/28 13:34Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

Yes, I think he could still be a believer in spite of this misunderstanding. If he is resting in Christ's propitiation for sinners, this misunderstanding will not separate him from the love of God.

With care in Christ,
Taylor

2009/5/28 16:06Profile
Laviver

I think they can be saved. Believing in hell is not a primary essential doctrine to Christian faith. They could just be a very young believer (or immature one) who is still laying the elementary principles of their faith as per Hebrews 6:1-2:

" 1 Therefore, leaving the discussion of the elementary principles of Christ, let us go on to perfection, not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God, 2 of the doctrine of baptisms, of laying on of hands, of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment."

For salvation the Bible makes clear that faith in Jesus and repentance toward God are necessary.Those are the requirments, and I believe there have been genuinely regenerate believers falling on both sides of all kinds of doctrine not essential to the faith (even though hell is extremely important). We see the apostels preach in Acts not mentioning hell in their evangelistic preaching (kerygma), so it is a later doctrine to be understood and learned.

2009/5/28 17:43Profile
GallantReflex

Re:

no

2009/6/30 16:14Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy