SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Your Opinion: Whats RIGHT with the Church?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
KeithLaMothe

Re: Your Opinion: Whats RIGHT with the Church?

There's plenty right with the church, though sometimes it seems that only a few pockets here and there are above the 50% line.

Personally I love the church I attend (and indeed live at, as it is a house church). The leadership and most of the congregation (nearly all if one doesn't count a few of the kids that have gone wayward, which is a problem of another kind) is openly committed to living according to the Word of God. There's a very warm sense of community, we share our desires, dreams, joys, anguish, hopes, faith, etc... I would trust just about anyone here with my life, and gladly and eagerly serve any of them in anything compatible with the will of God, even unto death.

Are there problems? Yep, but that's not the topic of this thread :)

On a broader scale, there are quite a few churches in the U.S. as good or better than mine (by the grace of God). The Church is positively thriving in South America, Africa, China, and the Ukraine (to name but a few such areas); although they do have their own problems that we may not be accustomed to in the Western church. If and when outright persecution comes to the U.S., I think many of our problems will go out the back door with the goats that have been among us.

2004/8/26 15:09Profile

Re:

There were two main things that stuck out to me when I started going to Christian churches (Before I went to catholic churches my whole life) and that was this: People knew each other, and the guy up front read from the bible.

In the catholic churches I never knew the person standing next to me nor do I remember ever seeing a bible.

Praise God that the Christian churches have not lost these two foundations. It was so shocking when I went to a church were people knew each other and people actually brought their very own personal I-Read-At-Home bibles. Its awesome!

2004/8/26 20:18
productofgrace

Re: Your Opinion: Whats RIGHT with the Church?

"TO WALK ON WATER THAT WE KNOW WE CAN'T SWIM WE'D BEST KEEP OUR FAITH FOCUSED SOLEY ON HIM"

Thank you for the thread you posted to view.
And I will remember this signature above. Mother has said to me many times... keep your eyes on God; not on man... hope to see many walking on that glorious water... that sea of glass John speaks of. Smile... Jesus is closer than we know.

2004/8/26 20:44Profile
Rahman

Re:

Ok productofgrace,

i thought i might be thru posting on this topic, but you've went and said someting so near and dear to my heart ...

Quote;
hope to see many walking on that glorious water... that sea of glass John speaks of. Smile... Jesus is closer than we know.

See! ... that's what i'm talking about, keeping our mind staid in the heavenlies ... i've spoken to so many saints individually, and in groups, and i've asked them "how do you see heaven"? ... And it has occasionally saddened me to see/hear so many saints attempt a grasping of it's description ... So when a saint makes a statement such as yours regarding that "sea of glass" i'm so encouraged, for that says you've got a far greater vision of that far country, that place where Jesus has (right now at this very second) already has prepared for us, in that shining city, the New Jerusalem ... This is one of the reasons i prayed so hard about, and believe God gave me "The Called" ...

http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=2289&forum=41&post_id=&refresh=Go

Because i know so many people, saved and unsaved, have no imaginings of the place (Heaven) that is the hope of we Christians, and i think that plays a major part in why even we, are so prone to attempting to pacify ourselves with the rotten, corruptible, (especially) materialistic things of this world ...

Eph.2
[4] But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,
[5] Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)
[6] And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:

i have an imagination, vision of heaven, that blows my own small mind right now, and know for a fact that when i get there, if Jesus HImself don't call me to attention, i'll be in a Holy Ghost shout for at least 1,000 earth years ...

Saints ... my beloved brothers and sisters in Christ ... we've got to get our heads more into the heavenlies ... and we've got to encourage one another to do so ... for Christ Kingdom, other than our spreading His Gospel to the harvesting of the remaining of His called from this earth, is no part of this world ... In Spirit we are already sitting in heavenly places ... somehow i totally believe God will bring that to our fore of His Bride in these last days ... Amen

2004/8/27 10:04Profile
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re:

In comming to this site, I'm constantly reminded of God's statement to Elijah, regarding those that hadn't bowed their knee to Baal.

Here in Australia, particularly (hey, it's where I live) my wife and I are seeing an increasing sense of need to find the reality of truth, in the Word. People are begining to search out their own answers, rather than simply chewing on what is being presented from the pulpit.

With this is coming the realisation that the problem isn't so much in the mouth of the preacher, as it is with the ear of the hearer. I sense in my spirit birthpangs of revival as I have never before sensed, as people begin to work out their own salvation, with fear and trembling.

The only trajic thing is that many feel that their the only one's doing it. That their the only one's seeing the problems. Yet when they finally get the courage to discuss their fears, they discover that they're not alone.

This may not seem like a compliment, but what would you rather. A happy-clappy "bless-me" club, or an emerging corps of seasoned warriors, who have had to contend for their faith.

Could this be the begining of the end of the spiritual naivety that characterised the past few decades? That's what I see in the keystrokes of all who come here, also. And I believe it pleases God to see it.

2004/8/27 13:43Profile
Rahman

Re:

Brother Aaron wrote;

Quote;
Could this be the begining of the end of the spiritual naivety that characterised the past few decades? That's what I see in the keystrokes of all who come here, also. And I believe it pleases God to see it.

Amen brother! ... i believe it pleases Him also!

2004/8/27 14:00Profile

Re:

quote: "In comming to this site, I'm constantly reminded of God's statement to Elijah, regarding those that hadn't bowed their knee to Baal."

I agree

2004/8/27 14:55
Jslimbaugh

Re:

Grace and Peace --

As others have already pointed out, it does seem like the path of least resistance to point out what is wrong with the church, rather than looking for what is right.

But, therein lies the real issue. There is something desperately wrong when we have to exert ourselves more to locate the good than to observe the bad.

I once heard a wise man say, "You don't preach a Galatians sermon to a Corinthian church." If you'll remember, the Galatian church was the one that had gone headlong into legalism. So, Paul preached to them the message of grace. By contrast, the Corinthian church had serious moral issues. Consequently, Paul preached to them a strong rebuke.

We are living in very Corinthian days...days of unchecked and unchallenged sin and carnality in our churches. And all under the justification of "God's grace."

We are not merely being petty here. For the most part, I am persuaded that we "complainers" are well intentioned -- not to mention correct. We are jealous for the glory of God in the church. We are also concerned that believers get all that is in Jesus, for this is our life.

When the church forgets consecration, holiness, and service, it misrepresents God and it fails to offer the FULLNESS of Christ to those unbelievers who need to see a better representation, and even to those lambs who already believe. This is a tragedy.

While many characterize all the "hard-noses" around here as critical and condemning, I think they probably have more of a grasp on love than anyone else. Their complaints rise like smoke from the fire of their love for God, love for the church, and love for their fellow man.

Blessings,
Jason

2004/8/27 15:02Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:

Yes brother its my prayer God is doing a great work across the entire world and this venue of SermonIndex is just a very small insight into this hunger for spiritual reality and truth, very well said post brother! I am happy you are definetly in this minority of seeking after truth at any cost.

Quote:
While many characterize all the "hard-noses" around here as critical and condemning, I think they probably have more of a grasp on love than anyone else. Their complaints rise like smoke from the fire of their love for God, love for the church, and love for their fellow man.

Yes I feel that we could chacterize almost all the prophets as critical people with one-mindedness and always saying what is negative primarly but hence thats the calling of the prophet. To show what is wrong and to point to a remedy. But sadly there needs to be a long convincing of the state before people realize and come in faith to God to change. It's like elijah when he comes to the king and all the other prophets are telling him good things and he asks for the prophet that always prophesies bad things, because he knew deep down it is the truth.

Also possibly in an age that people are 'lovers of pleasure more than lovers of God' then there will be a majority of wrong motives and fruit to see and focus on. In a sense what brings this online fellowship together is the common 'desparity of what passes for the church today compared to the days of the apostles.'

2004/8/27 15:15Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy