SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : PEOPLE DIE AFTER BEING “HEALED” IN THE LAKELAND OUTPOURING

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread

PEOPLE DIE AFTER BEING “HEALED” IN THE LAKELAND OUTPOURING

After all the debate on this forum concerning Todd Bentley, the truth now is finally revealed once and for all.

This article originated from the Fundamental Baptist Information Service.

Krispy

[b]PEOPLE DIE AFTER BEING “HEALED” IN THE LAKELAND OUTPOURING[/b]
(Friday Church News Notes, May 15, 2009)

An investigation by World magazine has discovered that at least two of the people “healed” during Todd Bentley’s healing crusade in Lakeland, Florida, have died of their diseases.

Following is an excerpt: [i]“Christopher Fogle, of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, loved to fish. It was a break from his fast-paced, 25-year career with the Perkins Restaurant chain. But when Fogle got severe cancer, his relaxing fishing trips, which he sometimes took with his children, ended. It was a devastating blow for the active 45-year-old. But for Todd Bentley, television preacher and self-proclaimed healer, the cancer represented an opportunity to ‘proclaim the glory of God.'

At the height of what many called a revival, WORLD asked Bentley to talk about the healings, like Fogle’s, and asked for a list of people who had been healed at the services. His associates told me Bentley was out of the country and a list could not be produced.

But six weeks and more than a dozen requests later, the ministry eventually sent a list of 13 names. Fogle was No. 12 on the list, along with this note: ‘Healed through the Outpouring and is back to fishing.’

That was on Aug. 8, 2008. There was just one problem. Two weeks earlier, on July 22, Christopher A. Fogle--according to his obituary in the Keokuk (Iowa) Daily Gate City, ‘left this life . . . after a courageous battle with cancer.’

A review of the list nearly one year later reveals that Fogle is not the only person ‘healed’ who is now dead. When I called Phyllis Mills, of Trinity, N.C., on April 22, to hear the testimony of her healing, a polite family member said, ‘Phyllis passed away a few days ago. In fact, we’re on our way to her funeral now.’

Mills, 66 at the time of her death, had lung cancer and was undergoing aggressive treatments when she was, according to the list, ‘healed at the revival.’ Mills ‘was taking radiation, but was sent home,’ according to notes on Bentley’s list, with ‘no trace of cancer in her body’” (“Heal or Heel,” World, May 23, 2009).[/i]

The Bentley crusade ended in scandal in August 2008 after Bentley announced that he was separating from his wife. In November 2008, Bentley’s Fresh Fire ministry said that he was guilty of adultery with a “former employee,” and on March 9, 2009, Rick Joyner announced that Bentley had married the same employee.

My friends, God has given us clear instructions in Scripture about healing, and James 5 does not describe a raucous “healing crusade.” We believe in divine healing for today through prayer, but we don’t believe in Pentecostal showmen who pretend to apostolic healing gifts that they clearly do not possess.

2009/5/18 8:13

Re: PEOPLE DIE AFTER BEING “HEALED” IN THE LAKELAND OUTPOURING

Rick Joyner and Bill Johnson are reportedly working with Bentley to 'restore' him (because they evidently have this power an authority) back into the false fray. I'm not suprised by this, almost immediately after the Lakeland incident Bill Johnson began putting Humpdy Dumpdy back together again to save face for supporting him to begin with. He said (paraphrasing) "if we throw this poor man out we will get a lot of applause from many but we will also be fueling the 'religious spirit'".

Translation- if you don't accept this false prophet back, your spirit is religious and not of Christ. (note that the religious spirit is not someone looking for signs, wonders, tall extra-biblical tales of heavenly experiences, and divine 'Bams!', but those who won't accept wolves back into the fold.)

This wasn't just about immorality. As a matter of fact his affair just substantiated the same character that deceived, lied, and manipulated blind sheep into giving him a lot of money while giving false hope to those who were desperate for healing.

The wayward church will continue to be tone deaf to the true prophets of today who challenge us to abide in Christ as a transforming and regenerate work in our personal character. To be in His likeness. And to do the work that glorifies Him and not the man/woman.

Any true leader who falls into serious sin needs to repent and humble themselves then accept a seat in the back of the line. Watch out for those who restore fallen so-called leadership quickly, they are most likely just rebuilding for another day of deception.

2009/5/18 9:03

Re:

[b]ccrider[/b]... Amen brother!

I did not know that they were planning to restore him. Unbelievable. These people like Joyner and others are out of control.

This whole thing about the religious spirit reminds me of what they always say about the Berean-type Christians who examine their doctrines... they say "touch not the Lord's annointed!"

Well, if they were truly the Lord's annointed I wouldn't touch them!

Krispy

PS... they have to restore him because if they dont it will proove (once again!) that Bob Jones is a false hillbilly prophet.

2009/5/18 12:34
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

i think paul washer says it very good here, people want bentley back because he gives them what they want to hear. Scripture is clear about many things regarding a "preacher" , "shepard" and bentley can never be one again, not that i think he ever was one but....

1Ti 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
1Ti 3:3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;

bishop=ep-is'-kop-os
From G1909 and G4649 (in the sense of G1983); a superintendent, that is, Christian officer in general charge of a (or the) church (literally or figuratively): - bishop, overseer.

1Ti 3:8 Likewise must the deacons be grave, not doubletongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy lucre;
1Ti 3:9 Holding the mystery of the faith in a pure conscience.
1Ti 3:10 And let these also first be proved; then let them use the office of a deacon, being found blameless.
1Ti 3:11 Even so must their wives be grave, not slanderers, sober, faithful in all things.
1Ti 3:12 Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well.

deacons=dee-ak'-on-os
Probably from διάκω diakō (obsolete, to run on errands; compare G1377); an attendant, that is, (generally) a waiter (at table or in other menial duties); specifically a Christian teacher and pastor (technically a deacon or deaconess): - deacon, minister, servant.

Bentley can never be a teacher, pastor or an apostle (not that he ever was) , can he get forgiveness? sure he can, but he can never have the position he had. But he will probably, and probably he will have even greater "revivals". Gods judgment on the people who refuse to listen to the truth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWMrKcFKqzk

2009/5/18 12:47Profile

May I say several things and I pray my words be "salt".

First, I had heard several Todd Bentley CD's YEARS before Lakeland, listened to about 5 minutes, and it just didnt speak in to my heart and spirit, so I put it in the dustbin without rancor, it just didnt build me up, and as you know we all work out our own salvation with fear and trembling, so it was in the dustbin. end of that story.

Then came "Lakeland", and I felt that it was not of the Lord, but very mindful of Paul's "whatever is" exhortation in
Philippians 4:8-9(ESV) I didnt say anything, God the Holy Ghost will reveal all.

But this I say, IN SPITE of Todd, there were souls saved, or restored, At lakeland and my pray is that they recognize Todd for what he was, a broken soul "playing" with the Deep Things of God. An "Uzziah" trying to "steady the Ark", and is lucky that God didnt do to him what He did to Uzziah....and I do pray that he be restored for service to the Lord, and not the vanity of his imaginations.

But I want to say this, deserved at it may be, Todd's off base ministry being brought to the Light, and exposed for what it was, and the ensuing scorn heaped upon him, and the inevitable downfall of Bentley, I noticed that very little on this forum was ever said about God exposing Ted Haggard, pastor of a mega-congregation, head of the NAE(!)the National Association of Evangelicals, and one of the most outspoken critics of homosexual marriage, a lead "warrior" of "value voters" in this phony fleshly political struggle called the "culture war", being exposed, BY GOD, as being a male whore-mongering homosexual and crystal meth addict, all the while standing up in front of thousands of followers of Jesus every week, "preaching" the Gospel.

why is that? Todd bentley in his vainglorious foolishness was just a silly momentary 21st century version of a backslidden tent preacher, while Ted Haggard "pastored" thousands, and led a parachurch organization with tens of millions of saints, and brought untold reproach upon the New Testament congregations throughout the land, but in the Grace of God, elders within the Body have attempted to bring him into restoration, and how is this "restoration" going? and what effect has his soul rending fall had on the witness WE ALL labour so hard to those who do not know Christ? Think of how many this sordid episode stumbled and/or drove away from Christ, with the words, "They're all hypocrites!"

I'm going to post up some video's, of Haggard and his words, who made these video's? I would have to say "stumbled ones",

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOpMsuz_uK4]Ted Haggard on "sex"--his own words[/url]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGx11vZ_7uY&feature=related]Ted Haggard on Larry King[/url]

(a sympathetic Larry King, but notice how Ted doesnt seem repentant or contrite...I said "seem", as I cannot see into a man's heart)

here's a link to the HBO documentary. "The Trials of Ted Haggard"

[url=http://www.hbo.com/events/trialsoftedhaggard/index.html]The Trials of Ted Haggard[/url]

that's enough video links. Now if you've watched them, the Love of Christ will move on your heart to prayer for this man's restoration IN Christ, yes? I do.

Therefore I pose this question, in the same way we would pray for Ted's restoration with the Help of the Holy Ghost in love and truth, do you not think that Todd bentley deserves the same.....or..

taking this line even further, praying in that same broken-heartness for all homosexual people, or for all who are being strangled by the devil in their terrible addiction to meth.

Christ compels us, His love compels us to pray, in love, for Ted, Todd, and millions of others, so laden with sin, and the death that comes from not knowing God thru Jesus.

we can't pray and love as such in our flesh, we despise such as these, but thats why the Holy Ghost is refered to as the Comforter. He is the One Who burnishes our hearts with sweet love, to pour ourselves out in prayer....not in pointing fingers, love expressed thru prayer. I believe God, He is merciful and loving, lets try and walk like Him

2009/5/18 13:05
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

A sure sign of a carnal Christian is one that wants God to give those that fall what they deserve. I am sure glad that God doesn't give us what we deserve. A spiritual Christian will always seek the restoration of a fallen brother.

God is much more interested in restoring the character of one that is fallen than restoring their ministry.

The gifts and calling of God are without repentance. A minister that has the gifts operating can be living in sin and the gifts will still operate in his ministry. However there will not be pure flow. Jesus said that you will know them by their fruit, not by their gifts. The gifts can be both counterfeited and imitated.

God's desire is that we would bear much fruit and also walk in His power and anointing. God will confirm His Word and His ministers.

Mike

2009/5/18 13:27Profile

Re:

A sure sign of a carnal Christian is one who presumes to know the intention of their brother.

I don't think anyone here has said that what happened to Bentley is 'what he deserved' in a punitive fashion. No one worth their salt glories in the fall of another or wants to see anyone wrapped up in falseness,confusion, and a break up of a family. But let me just say that the facts speak for themselves with desperate souls going for healing only to be taken to their grave in the hope that a faith healer claimed these gifts. The facts are that this man had extra-biblical doctrine and was espousing it to thousands of sheep.

And you are right, God is more interested in restoring the character instead of the ministry.... which is why people shouldn't claim the ability to restore anyone back to ministry. Restoration with God is first and foremost, restoration to leadership is a whole different thing... and God warns us about it. The problem is that those who have fallen want to resume leadership right away like the pastor at my former church after hiding major sin for almost a decade. They act more like politicians than Godly men ashamed and broken. Look at Paul Cain. Years of 'restoration' under the instruction of biblical clinicians yet he came right out of his therapy and passed a prophetic mantle to someone who was deceiving many. I want God's sovereign and merciful redemption to reign supreme for these men in the end but I won't hide the damage they presently do or sanction ministries that make false claims and develop extra-biblical doctrine. The same man who is 'restoring' Todd Bentley reportedly states that there is an eighth church in Revelation. Do you believe this doctrine? If not, then is this fruit?

"A spiritual Christian will always seek the restoration of a fallen brother." Abide in Him

This is exactly the presumption that these false prophets play on. There's a difference between a minister who falls into sin and one who operates a deceptive ministry outside of God's word. One's a brother, the other is a wolf pretending to be a brother. Unless we know the difference we cannot foretell and warn of the likes of this man... which was done on this thread a year ago. Someone who took heed to from this forum that extra-biblical doctrine 'IS NOT FRUIT' may have spared themselves, and their families, the false hope of healing.

"The gifts and calling of God are without repentance. A minister that has the gifts operating can be living in sin and the gifts will still operate in his ministry. However there will not be pure flow. Jesus said that you will know them by their fruit, not by their gifts. The gifts can be both counterfeited and imitated." Abide in Him

Where does it stipulate in the Bible the difference in 'pure flow' from 'mixed flow' of gifts if someone who is a minister of Christ is in sin? The gifts are by God, for God. The devil counterfeits, otherwise it's not counterfeit. Many ministers were claiming that the Lakeland ministry was a mixture of pure flow and counterfeit. No such thing. Either it has the foundation of God to see it through for His glory or it does not. You do not see any 'mixture' or an absence of 'pure flow' in the Apostles after Pentecost when it came to their gifts or their fruit. They may have made some bad judgements but they were not claiming something they didn't have nor promising something that could not be delivered.

If gifts are counterfeited and imitated then they are not of God which says something about the minister's character. Gifts may not be fruit but false claims of gifts and false extra-biblical tales of being gutted on a table in heaven by angels that are told to woo unsuspectiong crowds lacks fruit. Deceivers will lack fruit, this has proven to be true and was true in this case. That has nothing to do with anyone getting what they deserved... it is what it is and history will repeat itself in the church if no notice is given.

Paul Washer was also right in saying that people can be saved DESPITE the false ministering because God is sovereign. I thank God for His mercy for that... that He can pluck someone straight out of a bad situation because they are seeking Him.

edit>>>> All this being said, I regret and apologize for the Humpdy Dumpdy analogy. I can see how that can be taken as crass. I was simply trying to imply that there's an effort by many to restore their own reputation by restoring Bentley and his ministry. I've tracked many of these people (ie Rick Joyner, Paul Cain, and others) and have read their books given to me by a family member when I was a new Christian. God has shown me in no uncertain terms through the past several years that these type of ministries are false. The Holy Spirit is not our personal treasure chest nor a comedian who makes us laugh uncontrollably as I have witnessed many times watching these events on video. I believe the Pentecost accusation of drunkenness had to do with speaking in other tongues which seemed like weird, slurred speech to those who witnessed. There was nothing in the Bible about uncontrollable laughter and unfulfilled promises of healing. I come off as cold and crass in my frustration but I take these so called 'outpourings' and these various prophetic ministries very seriously.

2009/5/18 14:45

There were some good things that came out of Lakeland, believe it or not. It seemed to bring things to head; and to make the difference between the holy and profane obvious. Jesus said, "Do not think that I came to bring Peace to the Earth, No, but rather DIVISION!"

The bible says that the HARVEST is the end of the Age, and fundamentally a harvest of Wheat and Tares. The tares are being harvested in this period also; the poison counterfeit plant.... the wheat to the "BARN", and the tares to the "FIRE."

Everyone there who endorsed him, and coronated him...[ .. to lead the Great End Time Revival until Jesus comes..], and layed hands and prayed for him, are just as culpable as Todd. They identified themselves as liars, and a people of no discernment at best. They received his most corrupt doctrines of mystic transcendentalism, along with their manifestation of lying power...all the fairies and imps and angels that Bentley frequently called upon and testified of.

It was the most controversial display of new age mysticism ever in the modern church, on a wholesale level. Hundreds of thousands visited Lakeland, and millions viewed it live on the internet. God surely allowed it, and the wonderful thing now, is that the smoke is clearing up, and we can more clearly SEE the EVIL in it, and it's supporters.

No one, who possesses the indwelling Holy Spirit of God, and had an inkling of a grounding in the Word of God, could stand this travesty. It was nauseating to them. LIES, LIES, LIES! ...and now, as the lying fruit becomes obvious...that there were NO HEALINGS!....that there were NO RESURRECTIONS from the DEAD!...it is clear who is profane, and the authors of these lies.

Everyone of those who have, and continue to endorse and support this adulterous , thieving liar are marked. They are shamed, except in their own circles, and I rejoice. This is a good thing. It just the back side of the sickle that throws the tares to the left.

2009/5/18 15:17
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

Hebrews 6:4 [b]For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened[/b], and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, 5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, 6 [b]If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance[/b]; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

Knowing this, how can they justify returning him to a ministry?

2009/5/18 15:24Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Hi Mike,

"I am sure glad that God doesn't give us what we deserve."

One of the things that came to mind about this is not only if people would want others to get what they deserve, but would want to administer it themselves. Or would even want to go beyond that, like a man that would continue to kick and to beat and to bash a man to death that is fallen before him.

I thought of how Joab and his men, after coming upon Absalom, whom they had strict orders from David to preserve alive(2Sa 18:12) not only killed him while he was hanging from the tree, but Joab put 3 spears in his heart.

That same Joab killed Abner in a peacefull situation(2Sa 3:27) [i]appearantly[/i] beacuse Abner had killed his brother when he refused to turn back from pursing him(2Sa 2:23).

David, when the man came lying to him and saying that he had killed Saul, had the same man put to death. And here, David said to Joab:

"I and my kingdom [i]are[/i] guiltless before the LORD forever from the blood of Abner the son of Ner: Let it rest on the head of Joab, and on all his father's house; and let there not fail from the house of Joab one that hath an issue, or that is a leper, or that leaneth on a staff, or that falleth on the sword, or that lacketh bread."

- from 2Samuel 3:28-29(KJV)

2009/5/18 18:33Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy