SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Goodbye Dad...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
ceedub

Canada

Goodbye Dad...

Why did Jesus rebuke the disciple for wanting to say goodbye to his Dad?

2009/5/17 11:13Profile

Re: Goodbye Dad...

This had to do with Lordship, submission, and obedience, and I believe on a personal level. Surely Jesus was not establishing a doctrine of avoiding the funeral's of our parents...but the doctrine of following Him above all...above your parents, siblings, children, wife, or most of all, your own life.

Therefore; "Let the dead bury the dead, but YOU come and follow me."

I had a rocky relationship with my father, which evolved into much bitterness and rebellion on my part.I mocked and despised my dad. This almost destroyed my life, in several arenas. I was saved for 20 plus years, and a measure of healing and restoration had come to me ; a gift and benefit of His redemption.

I developed respect and honor for my father, and by practicing my faith, had grown to love my Dad, for the first time since early childhood. I had married, and both my son and I would give my father a hug and kiss every time we left his company, and tell him , " I love you!"

Never the less, my father rejected Jesus. One day, I got a call. My sister in law found my father dead in his easy chair. He evidently had a heart attack. I was there before any authorities...and rigor mortis had set in. Death is an ugly thing, in more ways in one. I had lost my father forever, and he was in Hell. I knew it.

Soon, the coroner came, and to remove the body on a stretcher..[he was sitting up..] they had to break his back. This was very stressful for me, and emotional, and I went outside. I pondered my failure, my guilt, and my loss. I was down, and bewildered in my grief.

Just then, as I stood, the Holy Spirit of God spoke to me, in an inward audible voice;

"LET THE DEAD BURY THE DEAD, YOU COME AND FOLLOW ME!"

Immediately every wind of loss and grief and failure was lifted off of me...and I never, ever experienced it again toward my father, even to this day...[13 years]. I am still trying to follow Jesus, in the midst of stumbling and failure...I get up again and go on.

This scripture is real to me.

2009/5/17 12:03
anonymity

Re: Goodbye Dad...

Yes I believe it was to show the Lordship of Christ in the strong obedience to Christ.

If Christ has specifically called us to something and it is at the same time as a funeral then we are to go.

Also, of note is that the other disciples left their father's fishing business without even a 2 week notice. We must remember that following Christ is a lofty thing and remember what a great salvation we have. Or this, of how the oil was spent on Jesus before his burial.

Lastly, I would remark that possibly also that what the man meant by bury his father is that he wanted to go and care for his father in his old age until he passed away and then bury him. So this would have been a long thing.

2009/5/17 12:18Profile
KathleenP

Maine

Re:

Dear Brother,

Your description of your relationship with your father is almost identical my own situation.

I was also on very bad terms with my own for many years. Many could even say that I had the right to justify my feelings towards him. He was highly abusive to us mentally and physically.

When my walk with the Lord matured, I came to the realization that although he refused to acknowledge his abuse or Jesus, I had to make things right and apologize to him for my own actions. I knew better.

He lived in an apartment below my brother. He was found by my brother on Mother's Day 2 years ago. I had just had lunch with my Mother and she called and said, "Your Father is dead." They had been divorced for quite a time so she was simply relaying the message to me.

They estimated he had died about 4-5 days before. My sister insisted on seeing him and suffered nightmares because of it. My brother was also a wreck. I never asked them concerning his condition physically, but know it was not a good sight and when a sinner dies, there is not much dignity in their death.

I, also, had to commit it to the Lord.

My Father and I were not close and I believe it was the Lord's way of protecting me from anguish at his loss. I cannot do a thing for him now and must concentrate on praying for my living family.

I am so glad you have posted this Tom. It is not easy facing the ugliness of losing family that are not converted, but may it increase our burden to set an example to the living.

May the Lord sustain you throughout this.

Kathleen

2009/5/17 14:13Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Too many times ungodly parents will interfere in one’s walk with the LORD. Jesus also says that unless you ‘hate’ (Luke 14:26) your family, you cannot be his disciple. According to Strong’s, this hate would mean ‘to love less’. This is the way I would understand it.

Brothertom, your experience with your father is very informative. I have come to the point that once a person dies I am to no longer wonder about his/her salvation: they knew the Word, had access to it and the decisions they made will follow them and they will have to give account. I am only responsible for my own soul. A person can go crazy if you take on the load of other people’s souls. Jesus always talked to the individual and expected him/her to make the decision for himself/herself. You cannot do it for others.

Brothertom, I think your testimony is among the most important piece you have ever posted here on SI. Reckon I am judging by saying this, but this is so profound. God bless you for sharing.

ginnyrose

2009/5/17 18:42Profile
ChrisMo

Re: Goodbye

I have heard preached that it was a Jewish custom if the oldest son buried his father he would get all the inheritance. So I guess it could have been more of a money issue!!

2009/5/17 22:02Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:
I have heard preached that it was a Jewish custom if the oldest son buried his father he would get all the inheritance. So I guess it could have been more of a money issue!!

I think Chris is on the right track. In a sense, "let me get all the inheritance first, then I will come and follow you!".

With care in Christ,
Taylor

2009/5/17 22:10Profile
ceedub

Canada

Re:

57 ¶ And it came to pass, that, as they went in the way, a certain man said unto him, Lord, I will follow thee whithersoever thou goest.
58 And Jesus said unto him, Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head.
59 And he said unto another, Follow me. But he said, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father.
60 Jesus said unto him, Let the dead bury their dead: but go thou and preach the kingdom of God.
61 And another also said, Lord, I will follow thee; but let me first go bid them farewell, which are at home at my house.
62 And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.

The one I was asking about wasn't the one about burial, but rather the following instance of the man simply wanting to say goodbye to his family.

Every message I've ever heard on this speaks of it as a rebuke, and that it was wrong to go say goodbye to his family? I know what the norm message is, but does that make sensce to anyone? To be rebuked just for saying goodbye?

2009/5/17 23:50Profile
ceedub

Canada

Re:

The reason I asked this question is that I can't figure out why it would be a rebuke to go and say goodbye to your family. To say that it denies commitment to the Lord is really tough to swallow. Who of us, leaving for missions, would recoil at the thought of saying goodbye to our families for fear of being uncommitted to Christ?

I see it different, and welcome disagreement, as I've never heard anyone interpret this passage as I do (I'm all for holding the common view and am leary of 'new' views, but this 'rebuke interpretation' I have trouble with).

When the man says he wants to say goodbye to his family, Jesus responds with...

Quote:
And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.

I believe this perfectly mirrors the calling of Elisha by Elijah...

Quote:
19 ¶ So he departed thence, and found Elisha the son of Shaphat, who was plowing with twelve yoke of oxen before him, and he with the twelfth: and Elijah passed by him, and cast his mantle upon him.

Quote:
20 And he left the oxen, and ran after Elijah, and said, Let me, I pray thee, kiss my father and my mother, and then I will follow thee. And he said unto him, Go back again: for what have I done to thee?

Quote:
21 And he returned back from him, and took a yoke of oxen, and slew them, and boiled their flesh with the instruments of the oxen, and gave unto the people, and they did eat. Then he arose, and went after Elijah, and ministered unto him.

Jesus uses the same analogy of the plow to illustrate, I believe, the merit in saying goodbye to your family, rather than a rebuke. Just as Elisha said goodbye to his family, this disciple would now be able to follow Jesus 'without looking back' just as Elisha did, and never looked back.

An exhortation or a rebuke?

2009/5/18 11:39Profile
ceedub

Canada

Re:

Was Jesus rebuking him or praising him for doing what Elisha did?

Seems beyond coincidence that Jesus uses the same 'ploughing' metaphor connecting the goodbye to his family with what Elisha did.

2009/5/19 14:47Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy