Discussion Forum : General Topics : An Observation in Definition

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

An Observation in Definition

1Co 6:1-8

[i] Is it so, that there is not a wise man among you?[/i]

Addressed to the general populace by observation of recent discussions - Applicable to whomever and to no one in particular - If it doesn't apply, disregard - If so, consider ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[b]Virulent
VIR'ULENT[/b], a. [L. virulentus, from virus, poison, that is, strength, from the same root as vir, vireo. See Venom.]

1. Extremely active in doing injury; very poisonous or venomous. No poison is more virulent than that of some species of serpents.

2. Very bitter in enmity; malignant; as a virulent invective.

Col 4:6

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[b]Invective
INVEC'TIVE[/b], n. [L. inveho. See Inveigh.] A railing speech or expression; something uttered or written, intended to cast opprobrium, censure or reproach on another; a harsh or reproachful accusation. It differs from reproof, as the latter may come from a friend and be intended to the good of the person reproved; but invective proceeds from an enemy, and is intended to give pain or to injure.

[b]INVEC'TIVE[/b], a. Satirical; abusive; railing.

Mat 12:36

[b]Acrimonious
ACRIMO'NIOUS[/b], a.

1. Sharp; bitter; corrosive; abounding with acrimony.

2. Figuratively, sharpness or severity of temper; bitterness of expression proceeding from anger, ill-nature, or petulance.

Jas 3:8

[i]Definitions - Webster's 1828 Dictionary[/i]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Definitions - Modern;

[b]Virulent[/b]

a. Extremely infectious, malignant, or poisonous. Used of a disease or toxin.

b. Capable of causing disease by breaking down protective mechanisms of the host. Used of a pathogen.

2. Bitterly hostile or antagonistic; hateful: [i]virulent criticism[/i]. See synonyms at poisonous.

3. Intensely irritating, obnoxious, or harsh.

[b]Thesaurus:[/b] virulent

[i]adjective[/i]

1. Extremely destructive or harmful: baneful, deadly, malignant, noxious, pernicious, pestilent, pestilential. See help/harm/harmless.
2. Capable of injuring or killing by poison: mephitic, mephitical, poison, poisonous, toxic, toxicant, venomous. See help/harm/harmless.
3. Bitingly hostile: acrimonious, bitter, embittered, hard, rancorous, resentful. See attitude/good attitude/bad attitude/neutral attitude, love/hatred.

http://www.answers.com/virulent

Jas 3:10

[i]Who is wise and knowing among you?[/i] Jas 3:13

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[b]Conversation
CONVERSATION[/b], n.

1. General course of manners; behavior; deportment; especially as it respects morals.

Let your conversation be as becometh the gospel. Phil 1.

Be ye holy in all manner of conversation. 1 Pet 1.

2. A keeping company; familiar intercourse; intimate fellowship or association; commerce in social life. Knowledge of men and manners is best acquired by conversation with the best company.

3. Intimate and familiar acquaintance; as a conversation with books, or other object.

4. Familiar discourse; general intercourse of sentiments; chat; unrestrained talk; opposed to a formal conference.

What I mentioned in conversation was not a new thought.

[This is now the most general use of the word.]

[i]Definition - Webster's 1828 Dictionary[/i]

Heb 13:5 Let your [u]conversation[/u] be without covetousness;

1Pe 2:12 Having your [u]conversation[/u] honest among the Gentiles: that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation.

1Pe 3:16 Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your [u]good conversation[/u] in Christ.

2Pe 3:11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy [u]conversation[/u] and godliness,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Random word's\phrases -

Incite
Fuel to the fire
Inflame
Spur on
Provoke
Egg on
Instigate
Prod
Ill-will
Bitterness
Rancor
Gall
Vexation
Chafe
Irritate
Peevish
Resentment
Contempt
Disdain
Hostility
Strife

[b]Food for thought[/b];

[i]"Religious controversies are always productive of more acrimony and irreconcilable hatreds than those which spring from any other cause."[/i] ~ George Washington

[i]...he that will blow the Coals must not wonder if some Sparks do fly in his face...[/i]
~ Richard Baxter

[i]Those that eat forbidden fruit, how tempting soever it looks, will find it a sour grape, and it will set their teeth on edge; sooner or later they will feel from it and reflect upon it with bitterness. There is a direct tendency in sin to make a man uneasy as there is in sour grapes to set the teeth on edge.[/i] ~ Matthew Henry

[i]Therefore, in a post-Christian world and in an often post-Christian church it is imperative to point out with love where apostasy lies. We must openly discuss with all who will listen, treating all men as fellow men, but we must call apostasy, apostasy. If we do not do that, we are not ready for reformation, revival, and a revolutionary church in the power of the Holy Spirit. We are all too easily infilitrated with relativism and synthesis in our own day. We tend to lack antithesis.[/i] ~ Francis Schaeffer

[i]Grant me prudence to avoid him that flattereth me, and to endure patiently him that contradicteth me.[/i] ~ Thomas a Kempis

[i]"Discontent is a sin that is its own punishment and makes men torment themselves; it makes the spirit sad, the body sick, and all the enjoyments sour; it is the heaviness of the heart and the rottenness of the bones. It is a sin that is its own parent. It arises not from the condition, but from the mind. As we find Paul contented in a prison, so Ahab discontent in a palace.[/i]" ~ Matthew Henry

"[i]Reason is always a kind of brute force; those who appeal to the head rather than the heart, however pallid and polite, are necessarily men of violence. We speak of 'touching' a man's heart, but we can do nothing to his head but hit it.[/i] ~ G.K. Chesterton

;-)

Jas 3:14

2009/5/17 11:07Profile

Re: An Observation in Definition

thank you Mike for taking the time to write this.

I myself, and I can only speak for myself, have no desire to engage in virulent, acrimonius, dialogue, [b]especially[/b]within the context of this ministry we all share, which is the Gift of Grace, the Milk of God's Mercy, which is the knowledge of Christ and Him crucified, and the Blood of Christ, which is wholly sufficient for atonement of sins and for cleansing.

That said, when the weakness of my flesh, or my mind, comes to the fore, and I am called on this sin, I have no hestitation in expressing contrition, repenting, and asking forgiveness from the offended brethern. This is not me doing it, but is the mystery of Jesus Who lives in me, to God go the praise for this great Gift. of Faith, and the Holy Spirit in me.

[b]Thats [/b] my heart call.In other words, I have no pride, no "religious" pride, no onus nor desire to be "right". All I am, All I long for is Jesus, and from that God hunger, I pray, may I made loving, sweet, meek, humble and winsome to ALL, which [b]Does[/b] include all who do not know the Grace of God, do not know Jesus, and are hostile to the Gospel. All.

neil

2009/5/17 11:22

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy