SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Bible Study at Hooters

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
Bub

San Diego, CA

Re:

HakkaMin,

Jesus conducted his ongoing studies and discussions with his disciples either in the temple, the synagogues throughout Israel, or in the open air. I can imagine the response of some of the great men of God down the centuries and their response to this issue. God has used great men of God to reach millions of people down through the centuries but I dare not name one who established a bible study or church in a place where one moment men are looking at the word of God and the next are ordering their food trying to resist the temptation of looking down the shirt of a flauntingly dressed young woman. I can assure you that Jesus knows our condition and what we're made of all too well to lead us into temptation. This is a work of man and the end never justifies the means. It sends a mixed message to unbelievers who are not a part of the bible study enjoying their lustful pleasures and justifying their visit to the bar by seeing that God approves of such an atmosphere to conduct a continual bible study week by week. I would encourage you to listen to "10 shekels and a Shirt" by Paris Reidhead and "The Revival Hymn" for further instructions. :-D

2004/8/25 1:25Profile
krisensei

hiroshima

Re:

Speaking for myself, I know that I'd have a hard time going to Hooters for a Bible study. But I can't bring myself to judge the guys who are.

I think brother (sister?)HakkaMin has a great point: Christ went to Earth. Now THAT was nasty! And yeah, He broke my Sabbath rules.

What would I say to someone who was having a Bible study at Hooters? "Bro, I'll be in prayer for you. And thanks for not inviting me."

2004/8/25 8:10Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

One thing is quite clear in this situation- if the person holding the so-called bible study were full enough of the Holy Ghost to handle the environment - which in itself would be a fulness that I cannot personally imagine myself being at any time soon- the repulsion of the Holy Spirit inside the person would come forth thunderously against such wickedness. The Spirit of God would be screaming out inside the person- COME OUT OF HER MY PEOPLE that you be not partakers of her sins and be not partakers of her plagues.

Spare me the pretense of going into such a place to minister with a bible study. That is the talk of deception and could encourage a weak believer to do such a thing and cast a stumbling block before them to their destruction. Did not the Lord also tell us not to cast our pearls before swine? To lay aside every weight and the sin that does so easily beset us? The famous last words of most backslidden believers is, "I can handle this." You can't handle sin! This is foolishness. This is the type of deception that leads whole crowds of Christians into extreme sin. This type of stuff does not need to be debated- it needs to be rebuked.

2004/8/25 8:51Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
t just crossed my mind that there may be many people on this site in other countries that don't know what Hooters is. Hooters is a bar /grill type restaurant where the waitresses where very little clothing and what they do where is to enhance there bodies.

Over on this side of the water, a hooter is a large nose. :-D However, on the serious side. I think I would like to know what kind of bible studies they are having. If I were invited into a strip joint and given the opportunity of opening the scriptures I would take it. I have preached in a night club before now. If they are setting up a Hooters Christian Fellowship it is a different matter.

I am reminded of CT Studd's little poem.

Some want to live within the sound of Church or Chapel bell.
I want to have a Rescue Shop within a yard of hell.

2004/8/25 12:52Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
If I were invited into a strip joint and given the opportunity of opening the scriptures I would take it.

Hi Bro. Ron,

I have a great appreciation for all who would desire to share the Gospel on every occasion. In this case I could not accept the invitation unless someone in the building was dying and could not come out. The reason for this is not necessarily my fear of loss of reputation- but of being caught in the very snare of the enemy. For those who are not tempted with alcohol and are perhaps eunuchs- this type of environment may have little or no effect on them. But for the vast majority of Christians it would be a risk to their own peril taken unnecessarily when there are vast numbers of nursing homes, correctional centers, orphanages, and the like for which we can practice pure religion.

In this case we are dealing with a Christian youth group.

God Bless,

-Robert

2004/8/25 13:25Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
I have a great appreciation for all who would desire to share the Gospel on every occasion. In this case I could not accept the invitation unless someone in the building was dying and could not come out.

I have often said I would preach with the devil at my elbow. I still feel the same. With patterns of dress as they are in our day, even out in the street we have to learn to preach looking into the eyes of the hearers and nowhere else.

2004/8/25 14:30Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
If I were invited into a strip joint and given the opportunity of opening the scriptures I would take it.

hmmm I would say to your quote of ct studd 1 yard from hell doesnt mean [b]in it[/b] I would subscribe to stay outside. Its very true the way people dress these days on the street really wouldnt be different then in hooters or another place of lewd rainment. But as brother Robert stated that a Christian has an obligation to be a witness of where we go especially towards those of lower spiritual understanding. For instance Paul felt at liberty to go into a temple and even eat the meat but if a lesser brethren saw him go in it could ruin his faith, so Paul vouched not to do it just for the faith of the other. I agree also with brother Robert that there could be some chances to share spiritual revelation to convict the hearers but on the all in all speaking to drunks and in that atmosphere of fleshyness it would be hard to get through to anyone at all.

I once through some kinda weird circumstances found myself in the back of an sodomite bar in toronto. The fellow I was with understood my intentions of talking with him outside and thought it would be good for me to see inside. He carefully pointed around and talked about the characters in that place, young men who were selling their bodies and other deplorable things. I was able to share the scriptures with him to a point and was able to get some quite moving commentary on the lives of these boys and men, but all in all I was glad to get out of there. I was praying the whole time for God to wash me in his blood and protect me from harm, it is not uncommon for men to be raped by a group of sodomites in larger cities now. That was awhile back and I pray that the word I shared with that man impacted him but other than that it was a situation I really feel no man of God would be called into everynight. The atmosphere was of a such that I have not felt but only a few times in my Christian life.. the grieving and prompting of the spirit in this fashion is a scary thing.

2004/8/25 21:13Profile
Delboy

Worthing UK

Re:

Hey remember, Ron said if he was INVITED in to share, big difference than choosing just to go in.
God is surely able to equip us and sustain us in any enviroment If he has called us to go in
Also i dont think we are called to lve by "What ifs" ,what if a weaker brother sees me go in etc.Certainly we are responsible and should care for the weaker one.For instance i would not invite a new believer who was an ex alcoholic over for lunch and them ply him with beer.But we are not resposible for what ifs.
just my thoughts :-)

2004/8/27 9:13Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Since this thread started I have had a literal arsenol of Scriptures rise up in me against such a practice. First of all let me say that the Spirit of God and the word of God always agree. God is not going to send us into a place by His Spirit that His word is telling us to flee from. For example, Paul told the young man Timothy to FLEE youthful lusts and fornication. That means to turn and run. Why? Because sexual sin is not to be messed with. it is a sin that will destroy you in a way none other will. You could end up sinning against your own body and defiling the very Temple of God- to whom God said He would destroy them. Would anyone risk subjecting themselves to a temptation that could conceive and join Christ unto an harlot? God Forbid! One need look no further than David to see what can happen to even the most spiritual people when they subject themselves to such temptation. The Spiritual warfare that would be going on would be enormous.

When you THINK you stand- take heed lest you fall. Blessed is the man that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth. Don't fall prey to the enemy! To me this is not a matter of debating or finding a loophole in God's word to get in the doors of such a place. My advise is to those who want VICTORY over sin and are seriously concerned about their own well being. Don't do it! Cast down ANY imagination that tells you to go into the den of the enemy. Bring every one of those thoughts under obedience to Christ. Abstain from all appearance of such evil. The light of the body is the eye and you need to guard your heart with ALL diligence. Whatever you do- I beg you- NEVER go in to such a place thinking you can minister.

2004/8/27 10:38Profile
moreofHim

Re: hooters

I am in agreement with Robert- and so is my husband. I have talked to my husband about his thoughts on this thread. Keep in mind that we are not what is considered legalistic or conservative by outward appearances. I mean he likes to wear shorts to church (when we attend one :-) ) and we are not into who should a or should not wear makeup, skirts, bathingsuits, etc...

He just does not understand how any Christian man could go into a Hooters, especially week after week, and not be walking into a den of temptation. When God has layed certain standards on your heart- going into a place like this slowly weakens these standards bit by bit.

And like someone mentioned, Jesus went into homes to eat with sinners in expectation that the whole place would turn into a place for the glory of God. Hooters is still going to be Hooters. It will still be selling sexual temptation.

And the article states that one manager has become a christian, and one of the waitresses. Ok, will the manager and waitress continue to work there and promote that environment? This doesn't make any sense. If the goal was to get people converted- then if they are really truly converted- they would be fleeing the place- and you know that Hooters would not allow that to be happening. They would not want a bible study going on there that CONVICTS people so that they might leave.

That is the point here all together. If you really want to help people and get them to surrender their lives to Christ- they must be CONVICTED of sin in the first place. How do you convict them when you are in a place that promotes sin (sin that keeps many people in bondage)?

2004/8/27 11:46Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy