SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Bible Study at Hooters

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
5nva

Bible Study at Hooters

I just saw on the news that there is a group or ministry that has started a bible study at a Hooters Restaurant / Bar. The idea is to reach the "unchurched".

In the article I saw it mentioned that even one Hooters employee became a Christian. It did not say if she left Hooters. I suspect from the article that she still works there.

Has anyone else heard of this? I guess it really doesn't surprise me that this is going on. I'm posting it for the sake of everyone knowing and being aware of it.

Any thoughts or comments are welcome.

Pressing on,

Mike

2004/8/23 9:46Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Bible Study at Hooters

Quote:
Has anyone else heard of this? I guess it really doesn't surprise me that this is going on. I'm posting it for the sake of everyone knowing and being aware of it.

I am not sure what response you are expecting brother, I think its a bad thing. Whats next bible studies in strip clubs? Even the word that classifies the venue is vile and offensive to the mind. These venues manufacture drunkeness and also lustfulness of the flesh at the same time. I really think there should be a line drawn with this, we are to seek and save the lost and yes be around drunkards and gluttons as Jesus did, but not at a level of comprimising our integrity. If people are seeking after spiritual matters it would be a little thing to ask them to leave their place of sin to go to a neutral place to ask and think on the spiritual.

2004/8/23 9:51Profile
moreofHim

Re:

All I can say is "what is going on with Christianity?!" I am not one who is prudish by any means. I am also very familiar with the attitides and thinking that goes along with a place like Hooters. This is ridiculous. This is something I can see myself believing or promoting when I was a very lukewarm christian and still wanted to call myself a Christian but also live my life MY way.

I cannot decide if I am very angry or very sad about this.

In Him, Chanin

2004/8/23 11:59Profile
5nva

Re:

It just crossed my mind that there may be many people on this site in other countries that don't know what Hooters is. Hooters is a bar /grill type restaurant where the waitresses where very little clothing and what they do where is to enhance there bodies.

This is just another example of where professing Christinaity in America is at.

BTW Greg, I had no expectations in mind to what the response would be. I'm fairly certain that most on this site would agree that this is discusting and true Christians will need to make a clear stand and separation from these type of things in the last days.

In Christ,

Mike

2004/8/23 12:24Profile
KeithLaMothe

Re:

Quote:
All I can say is "what is going on with Christianity?!"

If by "Christianity" you're referring to the majority of professing Christians in the United States, I'd respond "it's four days dead." Possibly more.

Quote:
I am not one who is prudish by any means.

It would be utterly ridiculous to accuse you of being prudish for viewing establishments like Hooters as the abominations they are. Alternatively, being "prudish" is a good thing, to that extent.

Quote:
I cannot decide if I am very angry or very sad about this.

Both would seem appropriate.

Edit - I wonder if they preach out of Matthew 5:28 at these studies?

2004/8/23 14:22Profile
Agent001

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re:

Quote:
BTW Greg, I had no expectations in mind to what the response would be. I'm fairly certain that most on this site would agree that this is discusting and true Christians will need to make a clear stand and separation from these type of things in the last days.

It is not necessarily disgusting--it all depends on how the Bible Study and the events are conducted.

I was very impressed by the "Unchurch" during my university years, who conducted their meetings in bars, with an eye to talking about the gospel to those who would rather die than go to a church. Those Christians did not involve themselves in the drinking, etc. All they were doing is this: "if I can't bring them to the church to hear the gospel, I will bring the gospel to them right where they are."

I suspect many "proper" Christians today sound a lot more like the [b]Pharisees[/b] in Jesus' days than they thought. Jesus was accused of being a drunkard and glutton and of going to parties and of hanging out with sinners and prostitutes. So if Jesus were to come today instead of two thousand years ago, may be (and just may be) he would be reaching out to those who hangs out at Hooters. I suppose some of his disciples might have to suffer the same criticism if they are serious about Jesus' call to reach the sinners.

2004/8/24 8:57Profile
Clutch

Oak Ridge, Tennessee

Re:

Hi Greg,
You said: "I am not sure what response you are expecting brother, I think its a bad thing. Whats next bible studies in strip clubs? Even the word that classifies the venue is vile and offensive to the mind. These venues manufacture drunkeness and also lustfulness of the flesh at the same time. I really think there should be a line drawn with this, we are to seek and save the lost and yes be around drunkards and gluttons as Jesus did, but not at a level of comprimising our integrity. If people are seeking after spiritual matters it would be a little thing to ask them to leave their place of sin to go to a neutral place to ask and think on the spiritual."

27 ¶ And after these things he went forth, and saw a publican, named Levi, sitting at the receipt of custom: and he said unto him, Follow me.
28 And he left all, rose up, and followed him.
29 And Levi made him a great feast in his own house: and there was a great company of publicans and of others that sat down with them.
30 But their scribes and Pharisees murmured against his disciples, saying, Why do ye eat and drink with publicans and sinners?
31 And Jesus answering said unto them, They that are whole need not a physician; but they that are sick.
32 I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

I think Jesus has a different opinion.
Clutch

2004/8/24 13:21Profile
5nva

Re:

Agent001 and Clutch:

You both bring some good points on this subject that we should all consider and pray about.

I would agree that we need to be around the unsaved, lost, sinners, etc. However, I do not believe that when Jesus ate with the sinners is the same as a Christian going into a Hooters to have bible study. If we simply use the example of Jesus eating with sinners does that mean I should go to Hooters or any other establishment like it and eat and drink?

I do understand the points that you are trying to bring across but I am of the opinion that it is a much different scenario. The environment it much different and not a good place for any man to be regardless of his apparent motives.

Sincerely in Christ,

Mike

2004/8/24 13:46Profile
Clutch

Oak Ridge, Tennessee

Re:

Hi 5,
Jesus went to Levi's house to have dinner and a Bible study. Had everybody been going to Hooters instead of Levi's that day for wings and a salad, Jesus would have gone where the sinners were. That's consistant operational procedure on His part.

Remember Mary Magdelene? She was the prostitute that Jesus cast 7 devils out of. He didn't invite her to a more appropriate place to get her saved. He met her where she was.

Some things you don't have to pray about. You've already been given concise written instructions. Read Mark Chapter 16 and Matthew Chapter 28. If you have any questions refer back to Mark 16.

The active verb in "The Great Commission" is GO!
"..all the world" is an inclusive phrase which includes Hooters.
Clutch

2004/8/24 14:37Profile
clairyoungii

Iowa

Re:

I agree that Hooters is not a place that should be acceptable for Bible Studies. A Bible study is intended to do just that, Study the Bible. In studying the Bible, we must make ourselves open and as pure of heart as possible in order to accept the blessings which may come from studying the word of God. I doubt that this is possible in a place such as Hooters, especially for the men in the group. I know of no man who would not be distracted by the young ladies who work at Hooters dressed in their skimpy, immodest outfits. While there may be a small likelihood that someone could get saved through this type of gathering, I greatly doubt that the masses of people who eat at Hooters will be effected in the least by a Bible study there. I would argue that this may actually damage any testimony the 'Christian' group had to begin with.

A more Christian route would be to stand outside of Hooters, in the parking lot, and pass out tracts and invite people either to church, or to a Bible study at another, neutral location as suggested below.

Christ did not spend his days teaching in the dens of iniquity, but rather took people either to their own homes, to temples, or taught in the outdoors. This is what we should be doing now.

This appears to me to be evangelicalism run amuck.

2004/8/24 14:48Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy