SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : "Except a man be born again...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
sscr01

"Except a man be born again...

"A NEW HEART also will I give you, and A NEW SPIRIT will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. AND I WILL PUT MY SPIRIT WITHIN YOU..." Ezek 36:26,27.

Jesus answered and said unto him (Nicodemus) Verily, verily I say unto you, EXCEPT A MAN BE BORN AGAIN, HE CANNOT SEE THE KINGDOM OF GOD.

Nicodemus saith unto Him, How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter the second time into his mother's womb and be born?

Jesus answered, Verily, verily I say unto thee, EXCEPT A MAN BE BORN OF WATER AND OF THE SPIRIT, HE CANNOT ENTER INTO THE KINGDOM OF GOD. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, YE MUST BE BORN AGAIN.

Religion will not give you eternal life...You must have His Spirit within you to enter into the kingdom of God.

First, take Jesus as your Savior from sin, and invite His Spirit to live within you, and you will have eternal life - because He is eternal life.

2009/5/12 17:17Profile
ceedub

Canada

Re: "Except a man be born again...

sscr01 copied...

"A NEW HEART also will I give you, and A NEW SPIRIT will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. AND I WILL PUT MY SPIRIT WITHIN YOU..." Ezek 36:26,27.

Jesus answered and said unto him (Nicodemus) Verily, verily I say unto you, EXCEPT A MAN BE BORN AGAIN, HE CANNOT SEE THE KINGDOM OF GOD.

Nicodemus saith unto Him, How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter the second time into his mother's womb and be born?

Jesus answered, Verily, verily I say unto thee, EXCEPT A MAN BE BORN OF WATER AND OF THE SPIRIT, HE CANNOT ENTER INTO THE KINGDOM OF GOD. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, YE MUST BE BORN AGAIN.

I was shown a picture of John Wesley addressing a crowd, with the words, 'You must be born again' underneath them.
I wonder if anyone in that crowd was confused as to whether that was a command on their part or a statement that God must do a work in them.

The quote from Ezekiel is similar to Jer 31 and contains the OT promise of the New Cov't. The New Cov't is contrasted with the Mosaic in that, instead of God saying, 'if you... then' type statements, He instead simply asserts the 'I wills' of the New Cov't.

When you look at the wording of the above verses, it seems to show a work of God, one that I can't do myself.

Was Jesus simply stating again that what was impossible with men is possible with God?

(EDIT: I wrote before I saw the addition to the bottom of your post. Good one)

2009/5/12 17:28Profile
sscr01

Re:

The Old Testament Saints looked forward to the Messiah, and we look backward.

They were justified by faith as we are.

2009/5/12 17:41Profile
ceedub

Canada

Re:

My point is that 'being born again' I would see in scripture as being 'quickened' or 'made alive', or regeneration as most term it. I don't see it as something you can do to yourself anymore than a baby can born itself.

I'm not disagreeing with you, just pointing out that what some would deem a command, is actually a statement of what God Himself must do, as was quoted from Ezekiel.

2009/5/12 18:28Profile
sscr01

Re:

I agree with you, it is an act of God. But, "So then faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word of God." Rom 10:17. God does His part, and we respond in faith.

2009/5/12 19:05Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Who's Faith?

Galatians 2:16-21 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified. But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid. For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor. For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God. I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

Or as much to say, if righteousness comes by anything I do, then Christ is dead in vain and Christ is of none effect to us.

1 Corinthians 1:17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

Even worse words, if I have anything to do with my salvation or keeping it.

Galatians 5:1-4 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing. For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law. Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

Circumcision and the Law are by man exercising his abilities in the flesh, which is of none effect to us if Christ be our justification and righteousness.

1 Corinthians 1:30-31 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

Not my works lest any man should boast. Not my faith lest I should have anything to do with my salvation. So how are we saved?

Ephesians 2:4-9 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus: That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus. For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

We know we have no Grace, we know we have a measure of faith, so "that not of yourselves" is pertaining to Faith, which unto salvation has no measure in ourselves, but is of Jesus Christ by Grace through His Faith. Gal 2:16 and 20

Oh boy, I opened a can of worms now, for we only respond to The Father by the Faith of His Son, Jesus Christ given to us by the Grace of God and birthed in us by Incorruptable Seed and quickened by the Holy Spirit. Lest how can we see the things of the Kingdom of God, only by the Christ that is in us.

Colossians 1:27-29 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus: Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.

Who's working?

In Christ: Phillip

2009/5/12 21:15Profile
sscr01

Re:

The, only law that was fulfilled was the Ceremonial law, which was nailed to the cross.(I hope, that, I will not have to post concerning the Ceremonial law again.) If the Ceremonial law had not been fulfilled, we would, still sacrifice animals.

In Psalm 119, the word, "Word," is used interchangebly with, "law," "commandments," "precepts," "judgments," "statutes," "testimonies."

HIS WORD IS HIS LAW.

Jesus said, "Not every one that SAITH, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven, but he that DOETH the will of My Father which is in heaven.

MANY will say to Me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Thy name? and in Thy name have cast out devils? and in Thy name done many wonderful works?

And then will I profess unto them, I NEVER KNEW YOU: depart from Me, ye that work iniquity." (lawlessness) Mt 7:21-23.

"And hereby we do know that we know Him, IF WE KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS. He that saith, I KNOW HIM, and keepeth not His commandments is a LIAR and the Truth is not in him: But whoso keepeth His Word, in him verily is the love of God perfected." 1 John 2:3-5..

And why did Jesus say, "He that rejecteth Me and receiveth not My Words, hath one that judgeth him, THE WORD THAT I HAVE SPOKEN, THE SAME SHALL JUDGE HIM IN THE LAST DAY." John 12:48.

HIS WORD/HIS LAW shall judge each one of us, on the day of judgment.

So, why did the Apostle John write, "Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: FOR SIN IS THE TRANSGRESSION OF THE LAW.

And ye know that He was manifested to take away our sins; and in Him is no sin.

Whosoever abideth in Him (walks in His Spirit) sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen Him, NEITHER KNOWN HIM.

Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as He is righteous.

He that committeth sin is of the Devil; for the Devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose was the Son of God manifested, that He might destroy the works of the Devil.

Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for His seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the Devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.

So, why did the Apostle Paul write, "For as many as have sinned in the law SHALL BE JUDGED BY THE LAW; For not the hearers of the law are just before God, BUT THE DOERS OF THE LAW SHALL BE JUSTIFIED." Rom 2:12,13.

Jesus said, "If ye love Me, keep My commandments." John 14:15.

Jesus said, "He that hath My commandments and keepeth them, HE IT IS THAT LOVETH ME: and He that loveth Me SHALL BE LOVED OF MY FATHER, AND I WILL LOVE HIM, and will manifest Myself to him.' John 14:21.

"And this is love that we walk after His commandments." 2 John 6.

When Jesus gave us the "Two Greatest Commandments," He was quoting the law. Deut 6:5;Lev 19:18.

"Then one of them which was a lawyer, asked Him a question, tempting Him, and saying, Master which is the great commandment IN THE LAW?

Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.Deut 6:5. This is the first and great commandment.

And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. Lev 19:18. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

"By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and keep His commandments. For this is the love of God that we keep His commandments: and His commandments are not grievous." 1 John 5:2,3.

"As far as the east is from the west, so far hath He removed our transgressions ("of the law" 1 John 3:4) from us...TO SUCH AS KEEP HIS COVENANT AND TO THOSE THAT REMEMBER HIS COMMANDMENTS TO DO THEM." Ps 103.

Why does the Apostle John write, "Blessed are they that do His commandments, that they may have RIGHT to the tree of life, AND MAY ENTER IN through the gates into the city." Rev 22:14.

"But be ye DOERS of the Word, and not hearers, only, DECEIVING yourselves." Ja 1:22.

2009/5/12 21:58Profile
sscr01

Re:

Rom 15:26 refers to "the obedience of faith."

"By faith Abraham...obeyed." Heb 11:8.

"Even so faith if it hath not works is dead, being alone.

Yea a man may say, Thou hast faith and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe and tremble.

But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

Was not Abraham our father (Ga 3:7,29) JUSTIFIED BY WORKS, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar? (In response to the command of God)

SEEST THOU HOW FAITH WROUGHT WITH HIS WORKS, AND BY WORKS WAS FAITH MADE PERFECT?

And the Scripture was fulfilled which saith Abraham believed God (faith & works), and it was imputed to him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

YE SEE THEN HOW THAT BY WORKS A MAN IS JUSTIFIED AND NOT BY FAITH ONLY..For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also." James 2.

There is no true faith without obedience to the Word of God.

2009/5/12 22:04Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I agree with you, it is an act of God. But, "So then faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word of God." Rom 10:17. God does His part, and we respond in faith.

For a man to be justified by God does not mean that he is passive in this salvation. God requires men to call out for salvation. Whoso ever calls on the Name of the Lord shall be saved.

Regeneration is God's work and no man can do it apart from God but God does have men active in the role of repentance and faith towards Him. It is true that these things are "made" available by God to all but that does not mean that men are passive in this repenting and calling out for salvation.

Let us simply preach, teach and believe how the scriptures state things clearly. Paul the apostle simply preached salvation for all and asked people to respond. Men believed and were baptized in the same hour. We can't get around the simple faith and belief in the book of Acts. My question is then are we simply sharing this gospel or sharing theology with people? I would like to say also that theology has and will damn souls (though not all theology is bad) but the gospel offers life!

What are we going to say to God in that day? I talked alot about the gospel and theology about it. How much better it will be for men who have lived and shared the gospel in their lifes and walks at the judgement seat of Christ.

Christ came to take away sin that it shall not have dominion over us. May we walk in this reality of the New Birth and not talk about it as much.

2009/5/13 17:27Profile
sscr01

Re:

I have people challenging me all the time about being born again. There are atheists in the Christian forum on one Canadian website. There are, also, Catholics who do not think, that, they need to be born again.

My desire is to give them a choice - choose life or choose death.

That is what we are all about, isn't it?

2009/5/13 17:40Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy